gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
The tick comes from side play in the rods, not the timing chains/guides/tensioners.

I just assembled a built/forged motor. Stock motor in my car bbq ticked and also had 2k piston rattle from day one.

New motor has Manley H Tuff rods and tick has 1000% gone away -- it has absolutely no bbq tick at all--, however 2k piston slap/rattle still exists in the new/forged motor being I used Mahle drop-in stock bore Gen 3 forged pistons.
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
He's talking about the cam-chain tensioners, not the external rubber belt and tensioner.
Oh. It ain't the chains or chain tensioners. That's a totally different noise. ALA every 5.4 triton out there.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Are the cam-chain cam sprockets out of round by design, or out of round due to crap manufacturing QA? Why would cam sprockets be designed to be out of round if the former?
They are out of round by design, something about the Ti-VCT and countering valve spring pressure, I don't recall the details. But the chain guides actually sort of bounce due to the shape of the sprockets and are not stationary as you would think.

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
They are out of round by design, something about the Ti-VCT and countering valve spring pressure, I don't recall the details. But the chain guides actually sort of bounce due to the shape of the sprockets and are not stationary as you would think.
Aaahha ... found this video which shows what you're saying. Not sure this would cause any noticeable noises since not all Coyotes exhibit BBQ tick - and the BBQ ticking noise source doesn't seem to be coming from the front of the engine anyway. If there was noticeable noise emanating from the front cover, then I'd suspect some cam-chain tensioner issues going on. But if something isn't right with the tensioner system then I could see how this movement in the tensioners wouldn't be a good thing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
^^^ Also, has anyone done the tensioner movement test to their stock Coyote to see if they get the same movement? How do we know what we see in the video above is the norm with all these engines, or an artifact of manufacturing tolerances, etc.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Aaahha ... found this video which shows what you're saying. Not sure this would cause any noticeable noises since not all Coyotes exhibit BBQ tick - and the BBQ ticking noise source doesn't seem to be coming from the front of the engine anyway. If there was noticeable noise emanating from the front cover, then I'd suspect some cam-chain tensioner issues going on. But if something isn't right with the tensioner system then I could see how this movement in the tensioners wouldn't be a good thing.

MMR should spend time fixing their wildly out of spec billet oil pump gears and attempt to sell the customer a quality product vs. trying to fix "problems" that don't exist.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
The 2021 I just picked up has it (9k miles). My 2019 PP2 had it off and on, but things seemed to get better when I went to 5w-30 Mobil 1. This one will be getting an oil change this week to 5w-30. I notice the tick just about everytime with this one because I use remote start, unlike the PP2.
Sponsored