Sponsored

BBQ tick - another attempt to understand

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I always thought there must be a way in the tuning to adjust the low rpm oil pressure, or perhaps even disable the bypass. Not sure I need 80psi at cold idle though.

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
I always thought there must be a way in the tuning to adjust the low rpm oil pressure, or perhaps even disable the bypass. Not sure I need 80psi at cold idle though.
What does it matter?

For the same conditions, less pressure IS less flow. The oil filter bypass is a differential pressure inside the filter, so that's gonna happen when cold.

It might save you from some leaks but you still see those pressures under operation anyways.

I hear you about the electronic solution, though. Would much rather just change a setting and keep the feature.

Hivel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
What does it matter?

For the same conditions, less pressure IS less flow. The oil filter bypass is a differential pressure inside the filter, so that's gonna happen when cold.

It might save you from some leaks but you still see those pressures under operation anyways.

I hear you about the electronic solution, though. Would much rather just change a setting and keep the feature.
There is a VCT rattle TSB for F150s to raise the minimum oil pressure. Looks like they bumped it up by a few PSI.
2018 F150
F150VariableOilPressure.PNG

2018 Mustang GT
GTVariableOilPressure.PNG

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
There is a VCT rattle TSB for F150s to raise the minimum oil pressure. Looks like they bumped it up by a few PSI.
2018 F150
F150VariableOilPressure.PNG

2018 Mustang GT
GTVariableOilPressure.PNG
This seems like extremely relevant and significant information for addressing ticking issues on the 18+ coyote motors. Was this already mentioned in the thread and I am just bringing up old stuff?

Why did ford fix this on the f150 and not the mustang gt lol, maybe it pushed the mustang's mpg down a little. Really wish they would do this for the GT for those of us that don't want to flash our factory ECU.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I always thought there must be a way in the tuning to adjust the low rpm oil pressure
I just noticed the other day how ridiculously low the oil pressure is at idle (it looked like low teens). That can't be good in the long run, and could possibly be the reason for the dreaded tick as well. Will check the digital oil pressure next time, to see what's exactly the oil pressure at idle, since the GT350 center one is almost useless at idle, since it goes so high.

So what happens if you get the remote oil filter? Would oil pressure go to the moon when cold? Is that the reason the GT350 gauge goes so high? And if it does, which would be the lesser evil: high cold oil pressure, or low hot oil pressure? I'd assume it'd only be low at idle, but who knows. Curious about that. But yes, ideally just raise the low rpm oil pressure, and leave the rest alone. Unfortunately, since it involves the ECU, not possible to do it in FORScan.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I just noticed the other day how ridiculously low the oil pressure is at idle (it looked like low teens). That can't be good in the long run, and could possibly be the reason for the dreaded tick as well. Will check the digital oil pressure next time, to see what's exactly the oil pressure at idle, since the GT350 center one is almost useless at idle, since it goes so high.

So what happens if you get the remote oil filter? Would oil pressure go to the moon when cold? Is that the reason the GT350 gauge goes so high? And if it does, which would be the lesser evil: high cold oil pressure, or low hot oil pressure? I'd assume it'd only be low at idle, but who knows. Curious about that. But yes, ideally just raise the low rpm oil pressure, and leave the rest alone. Unfortunately, since it involves the ECU, not possible to do it in FORScan.
The key I think, is to find out what would happen if you unplug the solenoid for the bypass. Will the bypass open or shut? If it stays shut, and allows full flow to the engine, then theoretically you could unplug it, and clear the engine light code afterward.

Not sure if anyone has been willing to be a guinea pig for this one.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower

Low teens at idle? Like 13?
Haven't experienced anything like that
Maybe you have an issue
Under warranty still?

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
IF there's a valve there has a to be some indication of control on a schematic in the FSM. I haven't dropped the $130 bucks for that yet but thinking about it just to check this.

Can anyone confirm there's a pressure control signal or solenoid in the block? Surely the oil source causing this tick wouldn't be driving through an external line.

Even if the solenoid operates in reverse "close if fail" terrible logic then we can still just remove it and cap the hole.
Don't know about the hardware question you ask but can confirm there is a deliberate hefty
increase on my oil pressure gauge at certain low rpm
So you think higher idle oil pressure will fix the tick?
Have you id'd the source of the tick yet?
Curious

Sponsored

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
According to the map a few posts up, it should be 8 psi till it warms up then it switches to 20-23.
Never seen 8 on my gauge
Ever under any condition
Think I have a bad gauge?

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
Never seen 8 on my gauge
Ever under any condition
Think I have a bad gauge?
No, the oil control solenoid is probably just being over-run. I see low teens every time since 4 miles, though.

Don't know about the hardware question you ask but can confirm there is a deliberate hefty
increase on my oil pressure gauge at certain low rpm
So you think higher idle oil pressure will fix the tick?
Have you id'd the source of the tick yet?
Curious

I was hoping someone who has the relocated oil filter kit could chime in so I started another thread. No luck.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, the oil control solenoid is probably just being over-run. I see low teens every time since 4 miles, though.

I was hoping someone who has the relocated oil filter kit could chime in so I started another thread. No luck.
Low teens are scary in my book
So relocating the filter will increase your oil pressure?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I just noticed the other day how ridiculously low the oil pressure is at idle (it looked like low teens). That can't be good in the long run, and could possibly be the reason for the dreaded tick as well.
Coyote's (Gen 1 and Gen 2) without the variable volume oil pump still have the BBQ tick, so doubt increasing the oil pressure/volume at idle would make the tick go away. Only one way to find out.

I would think a remote oil filter isn't going to change the oil pressure since the pressure gauge is down stream of the filter, and the computer controlled oil pump is going to try to control/adjust the pump flow in order to hit the programmed oil pressure targets at the pressure sensor.

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
Coyote's (Gen 1 and Gen 2) without the variable volume oil pump still have the BBQ tick, so doubt increasing the oil pressure/volume at idle would make the tick go away. Only one way to find out.

I would think a remote oil filter isn't going to change the oil pressure since the pressure gauge is down stream of the filter, and the computer controlled oil pump is going to try to control/adjust the pump flow in order to hit the programmed oil pressure targets at the pressure sensor.
The remote oil filter plate eliminates the oil control solenoid that reduces the oil pressure, per ford.

Agreed on the bbq tick matter. Honestly, I was more concerned about the 2k-3k rattle but that's not what this thread is about.
Sponsored