Sponsored

BBQ tick - another attempt to understand

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
THEY ALL TICK?!?!

I really didn't want to start another tick thread, but maybe this really is no big deal...I just don't know.

Now that the 2018's are approaching and/or exceeding 10,000 miles, the more people I talk to that own the 2018 GT, it seems almost ALL of them have the tick. Seriously, it seems like it must be over 80% by the time they get some notable miles on the car.

I may just be paranoid, but it sure seems that way. I even talked to my local Roush shop again, and they said it appears to be so common, that Ford is still saying it's inherent, and only replace engines that have documented damage. That number is actually fewer than most of us think (nationwide). My Roush dealer said they have had tons of guys come in and ask about the tick, but have yet to find notable damage to warrant replacement on the cars they have serviced. I think they replaced one engine, and that's it.

Oh, and I don't know if you guys saw, but the Michael Mac guy on YouTube now says Ceratec didn't keep the ticking at bay, as it recently returned. Not sure what to make of that.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
THEY ALL TICK?!?!

I really didn't want to start another tick thread, but maybe this really is no big deal...I just don't know.

Now that the 2018's are approaching and/or exceeding 10,000 miles, the more people I talk to that own the 2018 GT, it seems almost ALL of them have the tick. Seriously, it seems like it must be over 80% by the time they get some notable miles on the car.

I may just be paranoid, but it sure seems that way. I even talked to my local Roush shop again, and they said it appears to be so common, that Ford is still saying it's inherent, and only replace engines that have documented damage. That number is actually fewer than most of us think (nationwide). My Roush dealer said they have had tons of guys come in and ask about the tick, but have yet to find notable damage to warrant replacement on the cars they have serviced. I think they replaced one engine, and that's it.

Oh, and I don't know if you guys saw, but the Michael Mac guy on YouTube now says Ceratec didn't keep the ticking at bay, as it recently returned. Not sure what to make of that.
Not just Michael Mac, someone at forum claimed tick came back with ceratec in the car awhile ago. With MM - imo, 2 bottles of ceratec was overkill.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Not just Michael Mac, someone at forum claimed tick came back with ceratec in the car awhile ago. With MM - imo, 2 bottles of ceratec was overkill.
I agree. I had the tick really bad. But 3,000 miles later, 1 full bottle made all typewriter ticking go away.

Still have a slight 2k rattle though. :frown:

Sponsored

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
What kind of information is printed on the bottle of XL-17?
Just said engine oil modifier .. didn't see anything else noteworthy, was just like I read about.. like a liquid black shoe polish

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
All I know is.. Unless my car is burning oil or loses compression .. the cylinder walls aren't scored. Blackstone reporting nothing abnormal found.. I think the tick is just that a tick and nothing more and was blown out of proportion, I even was on the band wagon, but enough has surfaced to make me completely change my mind.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Anyone ever prop their hood or look under their car at night in the dark .....and look for a BBQ tick?
I don't have the tick to try ....maybe tomorrow night things change

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
What kind of information is printed on the bottle of XL-17?
There's pdf link somewhere at forum posted by me. Its content is carbon black.

Jonyxz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 401A 10R80
This sensationalist crap is making everybody paranoid...lets just enjoy the car guys...

Sponsored

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
This sensationalist crap is making everybody paranoid...lets just enjoy the car guys...
For real... It''s out of hand now/

Mechanical fact - scored cylinder walls effect compression, you will also be eating up oil. I have seen so many posts with people claiming the dealer said or they think they have scored cylinders, but no mention of any additional oil consumption, oil analysis are coming back GOOD from others with the tick... Add that up folks. It's pretty damn obvious. Get a compression test done and ask to see the results or be there while they do it before you have a dealer swapping out a perfectly good engine.

Crimson5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
P
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt a10
All I know is.. Unless my car is burning oil or loses compression .. the cylinder walls aren't scored. Blackstone reporting nothing abnormal found.. I think the tick is just that a tick and nothing more and was blown out of proportion, I even was on the band wagon, but enough has surfaced to make me completely change my mind.
These were the results of my first oil change and test at 4k miles with both the tick and the 2k rattle. At 6k now and havent heard the rattle but really haven't been listening too hard either.
20190126_115844.jpg

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
These were the results of my first oil change and test at 4k miles with both the tick and the 2k rattle. At 6k now and havent heard the rattle but really haven't been listening too hard either.
20190126_115844.jpg
The iron and copper in my factory oil were at 23 and 24, respectively. This was at ~1500 miles. By 7000 miles the cam caps and main caps were shot. Hopefully the excess metals in your oil are indeed from wear-in.

Crimson5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
P
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt a10
The iron and copper in my factory oil were at 23 and 24, respectively. This was at ~1500 miles. By 7000 miles the cam caps and main caps were shot. Hopefully the excess metals in your oil are indeed from wear-in.
Did you get another test done after the first one to see a difference? Planning on siphoning some out soon to get another test done in between changes.

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Did you get another test done after the first one to see a difference? Planning on siphoning some out soon to get another test done in between changes.
I didn't. Took it in before the next oil change and the dealer confirmed there was metal throughout the motor.
Sponsored