Sponsored

Crank Balancer snapped off (Whipple 2.9)

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Also, need to do apples to apples. Many people pushing their cars the hardest are probably using an aftermarket balancer. If you replaced all factory dampers with ATI, and removed those who modified their engines from the data would rhe results be the same? On of these threads it was brought up that the CJ had an ATI and not really many (or any) known cases of snout breakage. This is also a forum that is a very small subset of the mustang population. OEM has far more R&D than any aftermarket will ever do; however their performance metrics are different than many of us on this forum. I was scared of the ATI, now I have one and will on the build as well. Now both will break.
They will ....... unless you have a spare engine šŸ˜Ž
Sponsored

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
almost always.....balancer install issue. We have never had a crank fail on an install we've done with our partners at finish line. The ati especially is very tricky to press down, and if its not 100% on , you could run into issue, i didn't read the 4 pages of responses. as this is our experience and we have done HUNDREDS... over the last 11 years.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
The ati and I.W appear to be lighter then the stock balancer. If this is true I donā€™t see how they can be harder on the crankshaft than the stock

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
almost always.....balancer install issue. We have never had a crank fail on an install we've done with our partners at finish line. The ati especially is very tricky to press down, and if its not 100% on , you could run into issue, i didn't read the 4 pages of responses. as this is our experience and we have done HUNDREDS... over the last 11 years.
So since you have seen numerous examples, for the rest of us who dabble in the fast car stuff, can you give examples of some of the belt driven ATI setups that have not had issues. I think one of your replies in another similar thread was your last vortech car had 200 plus passes, and you were making around 1200hp, running mid 8s, with no crank support.

Sponsored

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
As someone who deals with mustangs on a daily basis, how many crank failures would you guess you have seen or heard of ?
Basically, is this crank issue actually of any notable percentage ?

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
The ati and I.W appear to be lighter then the stock balancer. If this is true I donā€™t see how they can be harder on the crankshaft than the stock
I believe both dampers are a bit heavier, and also move some of that extra weight further forward.
Every ATI/I.W damper I've tried since 2007, has been at least 6-10oz heavier over the stock dampers.

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Overall, hard to beat the engineering at Ford. Using the stock balancer on my 2018 with no issues using a Procharger HO Stage 2.

No crank support.

OP
OP
v8ter

v8ter

Typing...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MUSTANG GT 2015 50TH
Pretty sure ford has a tool specifically for seating the balancer properly so it doesnt cause any stress to the crank when re installing it. Its like a long threaded stud that screws in completely with a nut and washer to draw it onto the crank. I could be wrong but I would assume the coyote method. Sucks, sorry to hear about the bad luck. I wanted to go 10rib and 20% balancer but holding out.
Yea I did use the installation tool to seat it and than torqued it down with a torque wrench

OP
OP
v8ter

v8ter

Typing...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MUSTANG GT 2015 50TH
Iā€™m running a carb legal procharger kit with a 20% overdrive balancer for years now without any problems. I understand that itā€™s a possibility and Iā€™m ok with that.

7600rpm so did you bounce off the limiter? Or have you Hit the limiter a few times? Hitting the limiter is a very big nono
My limit is set to 8150, I did not catch the limiter, I have hit it once, but thatā€™s years ago,I have the sc on since beginning 2016

Sponsored
OP
OP
v8ter

v8ter

Typing...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MUSTANG GT 2015 50TH
Sorry im a bit confused but why would you need a new long block? Wouldn't you just need a new crankshaft?
I wish, but timing sprockets are on the crank, once it breaks , its game over for the engine

OP
OP
v8ter

v8ter

Typing...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MUSTANG GT 2015 50TH
The fit is tight, and often the balancer bolt torque can be achieved without the balancer seating completely.
Its actually a big issue, ati balancers are really tight, you pass the torque spec by a good bunch before it actually seats, Using a install tool is the only way to go, and than it even breaks on me . But a 10rib, billet tensioner maybe doesnā€™t help.

OP
OP
v8ter

v8ter

Typing...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MUSTANG GT 2015 50TH
How did you "check" the installed torque figure with fully cured red loctite on an installed fastener?
Iā€™ve heard that the bolts sometimes come loose, if that happens the torque would definitely be less than the recommended spec

OP
OP
v8ter

v8ter

Typing...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MUSTANG GT 2015 50TH
Overall, hard to beat the engineering at Ford. Using the stock balancer on my 2018 with no issues using a Procharger HO Stage 2.

No crank support.
Hopefully itā€™ll never happen, I have my sc on since early 2016.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Its actually a big issue, ati balancers are really tight, you pass the torque spec by a good bunch before it actually seats, Using a install tool is the only way to go, and than it even breaks on me . But a 10rib, billet tensioner maybe doesnā€™t help.
Yes, using an installation tool is the only way to go. You seat the balancer hub, then you torque the hardware.
Sponsored