Sponsored

Crank Balancer snapped off (Whipple 2.9)

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
How did you "check" the installed torque figure with fully cured red loctite on an installed fastener?
It's obviously the new stuff that allows a re-torque but doesn't loosen.
Sponsored

ramirj2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT premium, 2003 350z, 1978 280z
The same happened to me a couple of years ago on a Whipple Gen2 @ 15 psi with an ATI balancer as well on top of 3rd down the strip. I didn't check for interference during install, so probably didn't fully seated before reaching torque value (Judging from a picture of my belt.)
Now I have a Gen 2 Aluminator long block with a stock balancer and MFP support.
Next point of failure should be the headstuds :cwl:. On national backorder šŸ˜¢

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
The same happened to me a couple of years ago on a Whipple Gen2 @ 15 psi with an ATI balancer as well on top of 3rd down the strip. I didn't check for interference during install, so probably didn't fully seated before reaching torque value (Judging from a picture of my belt.)
Now I have a Gen 2 Aluminator long block with a stock balancer and MFP support.
Next point of failure should be the headstuds :cwl:. On national backorder šŸ˜¢
Sounds to me like with all these failures/incorrect installs that ATI should adjust their tolerances to be more install friendly.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Sounds to me like with all these failures/incorrect installs that ATI should adjust their tolerances to be more install friendly.
The literature included with the balancer goes into detail about why the fitment is what it is, and why it is important. If people are scared of the balancer, simply run something else. But I've seen crank snouts break with a stock balancer so then there's that.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
The literature included with the balancer goes into detail about why the fitment is what it is, and why it is important. If people are scared of the balancer, simply run something else. But I've seen crank snouts break with a stock balancer so then there's that.
I'll stick with the factory one. Far less breaking with the factory balancer, and far more cars running the factory piece.

Sponsored

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
*knows I shouldn't say this because mine will break tomorrow now*

3 years on the factory balancer here as well. 1700 miles of Race Week this year, 15k miles of nothing but small trips and dragstrip passes. Probably 2-300 passes at this point.

Factory balancer/6rib setup here. I used the OEM torque procedure and install tool when I did the OPG's/CS during the Whipple install.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Knowing what I know about rotordynamics, it scares the hell out of me that an aftermarket is making one for an engine with known minimal rotordynamic safety margin.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I'll stick with the factory one. Far less breaking with the factory balancer, and far more cars running the factory piece.
You are making an assumption that there is less snout failures with the OEM balancer vs aftermarket. We do know if that is a fact or not. Whatever an individual decides to run is the right choice!

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Knowing what I know about rotordynamics, it scares the hell out of me that an aftermarket is making one for an engine with known minimal rotordynamic safety margin.
Can you elaborate on this?

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
That's a deep dive into the abyss to explain, but I grasp the concept, and understand what you are saying.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
You are making an assumption that there is less snout failures with the OEM balancer vs aftermarket. We do know if that is a fact or not. Whatever an individual decides to run is the right choice!
I only can speak on failures I see reported here. The bulk (like 90%) all mention ATI. Stock is the right choice for me, at least until it isn't.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I only can speak on failures I see reported here. The bulk (like 90%) all mention ATI. Stock is the right choice for me, at least until it isn't.
I see what you mean, but all failures are not reported here.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
I see what you mean, but all failures are not reported here.
Also, need to do apples to apples. Many people pushing their cars the hardest are probably using an aftermarket balancer. If you replaced all factory dampers with ATI, and removed those who modified their engines from the data would rhe results be the same? On of these threads it was brought up that the CJ had an ATI and not really many (or any) known cases of snout breakage. This is also a forum that is a very small subset of the mustang population. OEM has far more R&D than any aftermarket will ever do; however their performance metrics are different than many of us on this forum. I was scared of the ATI, now I have one and will on the build as well. Now both will break.
Sponsored