Sponsored

Crankshaft snout snapped

Toy Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I’m running an ATI with no problems and would recommend it over stock. The key is a proper install.
Sponsored

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I’m running an ATI with no problems and would recommend it over stock. The key is a proper install.
Yep. People having issues with ati balancer is likely install issue. I've had ati balancer for almost 20k miles. Rev to over 8k. Ati balancers are on everything in motorsports. They are in every nascar car. Think about it.

fuelforfire87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Yep. People having issues with ati balancer is likely install issue. I've had ati balancer for almost 20k miles. Rev to over 8k. Ati balancers are on everything in motorsports. They are in every nascar car. Think about it.
Yea I never even knew this was an issue until recently. Perhaps I will have the shop that built my motor double check the install of the balancer just to be safe before I get tuned.

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
I'd imagine 99.9% of engine failures attributed to having an ATI on were due to installation error.

With that being said, I had a lengthy conversation with Ford Performance technicians before ordering my aluminator and was advised the stock aluminator balancer would be fine for my whipple setup spinning to 8,000 rpm.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
Yea I never even knew this was an issue until recently. Perhaps I will have the shop that built my motor double check the install of the balancer just to be safe before I get tuned.
where are you getting it tuned? (Im close to you)

Sponsored

Wolvee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I'd imagine 99.9% of engine failures attributed to having an ATI on were due to installation error.

With that being said, I had a lengthy conversation with Ford Performance technicians before ordering my aluminator and was advised the stock aluminator balancer would be fine for my Whipple setup spinning to 8,000 rpm.
And yet FP runs an ATI balancer on their Cobra Jet. Sure it's fine for you but he may have been just trying save you some money and not trying to imply the ATI was a bad balancer.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
ATI balancer requires installer to take measurements of the crank snout, and hone to spec before install. Most people don't do this causing undue stress on the crank snout. Some get away with it, and some loose there crank. It has nothing to due with the quality of ATI balancers really.

fuelforfire87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
where are you getting it tuned? (Im close to you)
I had my built motor and trans installed at D Mark Performance in Arlington Heights. I have a remote tune from Lund so I will likely be going back there to rent the dyno, assuming he has it fixed by the spring (it's currently down). If not there is another shop in New Lenox called Geared Up Motorsports that I have had work done in the past on my car, and they are also a good shop.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
would the predator crank be a beefier unit?

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Beefier? Dimensions in the snout area are the same as gt/boss. Predator crank material is 44MNSIVS6. This micro alloy is used by other manufacturers in boosted engines. This crank was designed with a blower drive in mind.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Beefier? Dimensions in the snout area are the same as gt/boss. Predator crank material is 44MNSIVS6. This micro alloy is used by other manufacturers in boosted engines. This crank was designed with a blower drive in mind.
Yep... if/when I have to build another coyote ill be using the predator crank. It's not priced too bad considering.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Im having a 12:1 predator engine being built with the predator crank of course. They said it's better but the price is like 1100 big ones.

Yep... if/when I have to build another coyote ill be using the predator crank. It's not priced too bad considering.
Sponsored