Berk.s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Berk
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Tick fixed. 5w30 oil.

2017 Mustang GT, ticking between 1-2k rpm. It would come and go. It happened a lot and I could reproduce it a majority of the time. Would usually go away or be very quiet when the car was hot. It would come back when the car was cold sometimes or when the car was hot then turned off for an hour or so. It would only really happen if you held the rpms at that level or cruised with rpms there.

Sounded just like this:

I was not trying to cure the tick. I decided to use 5w30 for other reasons. I threw 5w30 oil in and the tick was gone instantly. Hasn’t come back since. Haven’t heard even the slightest sign of it. I’ve come to the belief that 5w20 is too thin for these engines and that is perhaps why odd sounds are occurring.

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
I wonder how that made the difference since you said the issue is most noticeable when cold, and in that instance both oils would be acting as 5 weight oils. It's only once warm that the oils act differently as either 30 weight or 20 weight.

What were the brands of oil used and did either meet the Ford spec?

Berk.s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Berk
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I wonder how that made the difference since you said the issue is most noticeable when cold, and in that instance both oils would be acting as 5 weight oils. It's only once warm that the oils act differently as either 30 weight or 20 weight.

Not sure, I used Mobil 1 extended performance for both viscosities.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Tick fixed. 5w30 oil.

2017 Mustang GT, ticking between 1-2k rpm. It would come and go. It happened a lot and I could reproduce it a majority of the time. Would usually go away or be very quiet when the car was hot. It would come back when the car was cold sometimes or when the car was hot then turned off for an hour or so. It would only really happen if you held the rpms at that level or cruised with rpms there.

Sounded just like this:

I was not trying to cure the tick. I decided to use 5w30 for other reasons. I threw 5w30 oil in and the tick was gone instantly. Hasn’t come back since. Haven’t heard even the slightest sign of it. I’ve come to the belief that 5w20 is too thin for these engines and that is perhaps why odd sounds are occurring.
Unfortunately for your theory, the opposite held true for me. I ran 5w30 in the summer and had the bbq tick every so often. I put in 5w20 on my next change and haven't heard it for months.

Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Unfortunately for your theory, the opposite held true for me. I ran 5w30 in the summer and had the bbq tick every so often. I put in 5w20 on my next change and haven't heard it for months.
and in my case either 20 or 30 ticked with 30 being worse.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
No 5W-30 is going to meet the Ford spec for 5W-20 since the spec is viscosity specific. However, there are many 5W-30 oils that meet the Ford spec for 5W-30.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
5w-30 worse for me too. It's so bad I'm actually embarrassed. Sounds like the engine is coming apart.

I also did not use ceratec when I did 5w-30. So I don't know if that is what the issue is. Going back to 5w-20 and 2 bottles of ceratec on the next change.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
5w-30 worse for me too. It's so bad I'm actually embarrassed. Sounds like the engine is coming apart.

I also did not use ceratec when I did 5w-30. So I don't know if that is what the issue is. Going back to 5w-20 and 2 bottles of ceratec on the next change.
I guess I'm lucky, because only 1/2 to 1 bottle works for me. I use it every oil change. The stuff is expensive.

Sponsored

Alej

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alejandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017 PP+PP2
Tick fixed. 5w30 oil.

Sounded just like this:

Glad to hear it is fixed.
This video is great, link could be posted/sticky-ed somewhere, it shows quite clearly the tick sound... it took me sometime to realize what it was.
I realize I had it for a couple of months too, but I thought it was a sort of pebble on the rear left suspension or wheel, I would only hear it while moving slowly on a sort of bumpy road and needed to have cars or concrete around to echo it back.

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I have ran 5w-30 Mobile 1, as well as the current fill of 10w-30 Mobile 1 and had same result, ticking. One bottle of Ceratec and instantly quiet. However I noticed the tick had kind of come back in the 5K mi range of current fill but...as the miles rolled up, the tick has totally gone away. Been totally quiet for months now. Currently at around 9K miles and plan on changing soon. I will bet the tick will be back with the fresh fill. We will see.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Tick fixed. 5w30 oil.

Sounded just like this:

This does not sound like a tick, but more of an exhaust leak. Have you checked for leaks?

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
How would an oil change fix an exhaust leak?[/QUOT
Only commenting on what I hear. No oil change is going to change that sound....since it sounds like an exhaust leak. if you are not familiar with exhaust leaks, go listen to them on youtube.
Sponsored