Sponsored

BBQ Tick After Oil Change...

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Castrol Magnatec 5W-20 E, spec WSS-M2C948-B is the default oil used at Ford dealers and what is recommended by auto parts stores for the 5.0L Mustang and Ecoboost in the UK. No ticking issues over here.

Magnatec apparently makes the engine run quieter at idle as well.

Motorcraft brand is not really used or sold over here.
wonder what oil comes with new engine in UK. Doubt it is not Motorcraft.
Sponsored

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
wonder what oil comes with new engine in UK. Doubt it is not Motorcraft.
That's a good question. Probably no easy way to find out.
The oil I referred to in my post is what comes in the cars in the UK and what all Ford dealers service Mustangs with.

Castrol Magnatec 5W-20 E, spec WSS-M2C948-B

One non-scientific guess is that the clinging molecules technology is what helps prevent the tick. I am sure there are other oils that have that tech of course.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-79184-...eco-boost-fully-synthetic-car-engine-oil.aspx

Consumer Version

521773631.jpg

Professional Version (same thing but what is sold to businesses)

91hNPnGZAjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
All engine oils will drain to the bottom of your sump when your engine is off but Castrol Magnatec's Intelligent Molecules keep clinging to critical parts of your engine ready to protect when you start your next journey.
now, tell me this is not similar to mos2 that also provides protective coverage while oil is not in place.

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
now, tell me this is not similar to mos2 that also provides protective coverage while oil is not in place.
It is similar in how it functions. It's has an enhanced polar molecule additive in it which clings to metal and ensures parts remain lubricated when off and when under low oil pressure situations. It even lasts through an oil change if you swap out to a different oil. It functions exactly like Ceratec but Ceratec is probably more concentrated with its metallic-based polar molecule additive than what is in Magnatec - no proof to that statement however. Anyway, they are designed to achieve the same thing.

Magnatec is a full synthetic nowadays up to 5W-30 so should be good for 7,000-10,000 miles.

Sponsored

Andy22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 race red gt
Sorry mate.I'm from the UK.I have a 2019 GT and when i changed the oil at 1000 miles i noticed a slight tick afterwards.nothing to get excited about after reading the posts here.I have just had the oil changed again at 1 year/ 8500 miles at ford and it is ticking its ass off when cold!.way louder than the last change.have a bottle of ceratec in the garage and now waiting for engine to burn some oil before i can use it:facepalm:[/QUOTE]

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
It is similar in how it functions. It's has an enhanced polar molecule additive in it which clings to metal and ensures parts remain lubricated when off and when under low oil pressure situations. It even lasts through an oil change if you swap out to a different oil. It functions exactly like Ceratec but Ceratec is probably more concentrated with its metallic-based polar molecule additive than what is in Magnatec - no proof to that statement however. Anyway, they are designed to achieve the same thing.

Magnatec is a full synthetic nowadays up to 5W-30 so should be good for 7,000-10,000 miles.
I do not think magnatec is available in US.

UK customer base with its statistics on bbq tick (not common) in connection with most common oil application properties tells me - something is wrong with coyote components during oil change and anything that offers extra protection during this period greatly reduces chances of bbq tick.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Sorry mate.I'm from the UK.I have a 2019 GT and when i changed the oil at 1000 miles i noticed a slight tick afterwards.nothing to get excited about after reading the posts here.I have just had the oil changed again at 1 year/ 8500 miles at ford and it is ticking its ass off when cold!.way louder than the last change.have a bottle of ceratec in the garage and now waiting for engine to burn some oil before i can use it:facepalm:
[/QUOTE]

Which oils did you use?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I do not think magnatec is available in US.
It's available. Search Amazon, even Walmart has Magnatec as well as many auto parts stores.

I almost went for Magnatec but decided on Valvoline Advanced instead

Andy22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 race red gt
Which oils did you use?[/QUOTE]
Magnatec at 1000 miles.did it myself but tick much louder after oil change at ford last week/8500 miles

Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Which oils did you use?
Magnatec at 1000 miles.did it myself but tick much louder after oil change at ford last week/8500 miles
Some of us in US (me included) get the tick before the first oil change. Not everyone pays attention right away (me included). I only came to complete realization of what I had after viewing one of the YouTube videos at around 5 kmiles. Shoot, that noise that I attributed to something clutch/transmission related was actually _that_ bbq tick...

If you got the tick it is not going away in most of the cases.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
^^^So, if Magnatec prevents the tic, will it quiet an EXISTING TICK?

All I know, is QSUD 5w30 and 1/2 bottle Ceratec is pretty affordable and works like a charm.

I say this, because even brand new 202 Mustangs coming off the lot are ticking, like this guy.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
^^^So, if Magnatec prevents the tic, will it quiet an EXISTING TICK?

All I know, is QSUD 5w30 and 1/2 bottle Ceratec is pretty affordable and works like a charm.

I say this, because even brand new 202 Mustangs coming off the lot are ticking, like this guy.

The only two known suppressors are ceratec and carbon black /xl17 additive.

It would be nice someone with the tick try this castrol.

I tried castrol edge and it did not help at all, but that is different technology.

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
What is the oil pressure like at idle? Has anyone tried a 5w-40 or 5w-50 and listened for the tick when the car is warm?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
What is the oil pressure like at idle? Has anyone tried a 5w-40 or 5w-50 and listened for the tick when the car is warm?
That Street707 guy on YouTube switched from MC 5w20 blend to MC full synthetic 5w50, and he said it still ticked. In fact, I think he said it made the tick even louder.

It really seems to be pressure and viscosity related. More to indicate it may just be sluggish Lash Adjusters at low RPM.
Sponsored