Sponsored

Unwarranted MT82 hate

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I still hate the MT-82 to the core after having drove it.
Disclaimer: the car was a heavily abused rental with 50.000Km.

When we make the manual vs auto hate tread? :handshake:
Yeah, I rented A10 mustang once and the transmission was terrible to drive it was also quite beaten up car. Rental cars get practically destroyed long before they reach 100k km.
Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
The 2016+ MT-82 is 10X better than the 11-15'.......

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
I may win the trophy for most miles on an MT-82 on the S550 in this thread so far: 65K miles

First of all, I haven't experienced any lock-out while shifting even at higher RPM's. Aside from the throw distance, and that difficult leap to 5th it seems to shift just fine. So I seem to be a lucky one. That makes it a lot harder for me to justify jumping to a Tremec Magnum.

I don't like 1st gear, nor the transition from first to 2nd, but I think that's due to the 3.31 gearing limited slip third member in the differential. I'm starting to hear throwout bearing noise, so I'm going to jump to a new clutch. I've never been kind to clutches starting in first gear - I've always been hard on them. To avoid clutch dumping I have a tendency to slip it from a dead stop especially when the clutch is cold. So that should give you some context on my experience with this clutch/transmission/differential.

If I had my choice I'd probably just have the MT-82 worked over to make some slight improvements, better fluid, and a better clutch (which I'm currently looking at), short throw shifter that is unit mounted, and possibly a better third member with 3.55's. Since i have to budget things like a normal person what I'll probably do is get the better clutch, short throw shifter, and swap the fluid. Keep everything else. A Tremec Magnum feels like gross overkill at this point.

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
Yeah hard mounting the shifter to the trans makes world of difference. FTBR mount is great especially for the price, I’d say 70% of the gain a MGW gives for 1/5 the cost.

Also a lot of the complaints are from boosted guys who put on drag radials and are surprised the trans let go. Yeah no kidding 800whp with grip.

If anyone is interested in a FTBR shifter mount shoot me a PM I’ve got an Ecoboost one and a coyote one. Liked it enough on my ecoboost drivetrain I bought one for coyote as well. Eventually went mgw so both are available.

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
Stop!
It was you who claimed that there are European transmissions that are much better.
Mexico (where Tremec is based) is obviously not in Europe!
I am not aware of any European manufacturer using Tremec gearboxes in large-scale production.

That the Tremec is technically more sophisticated than the MT82, no one here has denied.
You also want us to believe that there is something wrong with the gearing of the MT82.
Let's take a look at both.

The information was prepared by someone from the German Mustang6 forum just for you. 😜
https://mustang6.de/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=19236

1667309935342.png

*Attention, the axle ratio is different for the US spec than for the EU spec!

Oh and wonder of wonders, the transmission in the Sport Mustang is shorter geared.
Manufacturers have been doing this for decades to emphasize the sporty character of a model.
As you can also see, the MT82 never drops below maximum torque.

That would be my approach.
However, the GT also looks like a sports car compared to your Fiat Diesel. :wink:

For comparison:
US spec Mach1 axle ratio.
1667311242881.png

For conversion: 1 km/h = 0,62137 mph
This isn't the whole story. To effectively show the efficiency of the transmission gearing to the engine torque, you have to calculate the torque to the wheels and then convert to thrust.

1667337947853.png

The above is the MT82 from a 2017 ecoboost with a made up torque curve. My humble opinion is that the only thing wrong with the gear ratios is how low first and second gears are. This is magnified with the coyote.

Sponsored

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
I don’t really have any complaints with mine. 57k miles. It’s not the smoothest when it’s cold at lower rpm shifts. Paired with the 3.55’s it’s just about ideal for me.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I may win the trophy for most miles on an MT-82 on the S550 in this thread so far: 65K miles

First of all, I haven't experienced any lock-out while shifting even at higher RPM's. Aside from the throw distance, and that difficult leap to 5th it seems to shift just fine. So I seem to be a lucky one. That makes it a lot harder for me to justify jumping to a Tremec Magnum.

I don't like 1st gear, nor the transition from first to 2nd, but I think that's due to the 3.31 gearing limited slip third member in the differential. I'm starting to hear throwout bearing noise, so I'm going to jump to a new clutch. I've never been kind to clutches starting in first gear - I've always been hard on them. To avoid clutch dumping I have a tendency to slip it from a dead stop especially when the clutch is cold. So that should give you some context on my experience with this clutch/transmission/differential.

If I had my choice I'd probably just have the MT-82 worked over to make some slight improvements, better fluid, and a better clutch (which I'm currently looking at), short throw shifter that is unit mounted, and possibly a better third member with 3.55's. Since i have to budget things like a normal person what I'll probably do is get the better clutch, short throw shifter, and swap the fluid. Keep everything else. A Tremec Magnum feels like gross overkill at this point.
I'm coming for your trophy. Lol. Almost 78k now and boosted. No issues with mt82 yet. I had occasionally 3rd gear lock out early on with high rpm shifts but that stopped after I changed the clutch out. It may not be the best tranny but I have no complaints.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I don't think there is any "hate" per se, I think the issue is there are folks coming from other brands or auto trans equipped vehicles and are not accustomed to the MT82, a hydraulic clutch, or the associated linkage design.

MT82 issues for 2018's were known in 2018; this thread contained that info and TSB's about failing shift forks:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...sted-1-2-3-4-shift-forks.113062/#post-2394500

Not every 2018+ had issues with the MT82 either, same way not every 2018+ has issues with the 10R80. Most of the manufacturer "defects" were resolved by warranty repairs. Sure it sucks to having to have a warranty repair, but it's not the end of the world.

Also if a 2018+ went in for clutch fork issues, if the shop was good, they would have replaced all of the forks at once while the trans was being R&R'd (OR warrantied out the entire trans as that was an option) and not just the single problematic concern of the customer.

Another thing to note - which is quite funny actually is this:
MT82 "complaints" as well as the Coyote tick "complaints" are not new. These same concerns were posted eons ago by then new S197 owners - so to bring in the ideology that the "hate" is a new S550 MT82 or Coyote thing is just totally off base - trace back to the S197's.

The feel of the MT82 can be improved by simply swapping the shifter out for an aftermarket version of choice that reduces the shift throw and feeling of the design. The clutch could also be swapped.

The one thing no MT82 (or manual trans) cannot do is shift faster than any 10R80, 10L80 or 10L90, that's fact. So although a manual trans is preferred, quite a few dedicated manual trans owners have went with a 10R80 due to that very fact.

A manual trans and automatic trans - the subject matter will always be subjective. There's a group that is "manual or bust" as there is a group for "automatic or bust", and each group has their own reasons for liking A vs. B.

Each trans will also have their weaknesses - this goes for not only manual vs auto, but even manual vs manual.

IMO - it's owner operation for not liking a specific manual trans... and as far as any of the MT82's short comings, all of that can be remedied by upgrades thoroughly discussed on multiple websites from the S197 era through to the S550.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I don’t really have any complaints with mine. 57k miles. It’s not the smoothest when it’s cold at lower rpm shifts. Paired with the 3.55’s it’s just about ideal for me.
Likewise. I think it's a decent transmission. Way better than my manual Honda Civic. What I hate about it is the clutch. One day that will change.

Sponsored

vpec13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm coming for your trophy. Lol. Almost 78k now and boosted. No issues with mt82 yet. I had occasionally 3rd gear lock out early on with high rpm shifts but that stopped after I changed the clutch out. It may not be the best tranny but I have no complaints.
78K miles!!! mine just blew up, not even 10K on the odo. D1X procharged making 850. Spec stage 3 clutch and flywheel.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
78K miles!!! mine just blew up, not even 10K on the odo. D1X procharged making 850. Spec stage 3 clutch and flywheel.
Can you share more info with us about what the damage is and what you believe may have caused the damage?

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Ouch! That sucks. I'm sitting around 680ish. I DD the car boosted and beat the living shit out of it daily. Guess I've been one of the lucky ones so far...

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Ouch! That sucks. I'm sitting around 680ish. I DD the car boosted and beat the living shit out of it daily. Guess I've been one of the lucky ones so far...
Are you pausing between shifts to allow the synchros to do their job, or making lightening quick shifts? I think quick shifting, coupled with the factory clutch are the cause of a lot of breakages that are occurring.

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
Are you pausing between shifts to allow the synchros to do their job, or making lightening quick shifts? I think quick shifting, coupled with the factory clutch are the cause of a lot of breakages that are occurring.
Quick shifts should be fine, but smashing into gear probably not good.

Tension on the shifter itll go when its ready and not before.. If youre on the track, fine grip n rip, street, have some finesse
Sponsored