Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
  • Banned
so i've got about 1200 miles on the car now, went on a 350 mile roadtrip, and i've been enjoying the crap out of this 6 speed.

i don't really get what the fuss is about.
Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
12K miles in two years in mine, and it's absolutely lovely in all respects. And it has been like this from the very beginning.
But our own experience doesn't tell the whole story.
The cause of the fuss is twofold. First, the MT-82 did have major issues in the past, which were slowly fixed as time went by. Most of the people who hate it are those who have used its earlier incarnations. You and I have come late to the game, when those issues had already been addressed, at least to some extent.
Second, the build quality seems to be hit and miss. For some it's hit, for others miss. We may have been just lucky to get good samples.

Last edited:

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 Carbonized Gray
so i've got about 1200 miles on the car now, went on a 350 mile roadtrip, and i've been enjoying the crap out of this 6 speed.

I never really had any problems with my Mt-82s in both my s550s. Got locked out of third at 7500 RPM a few times, but I think that was probably a clutch problem moreso than the tranny, but idk. Never really got all the hate for em either, personally.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I never had any real issues other than the lockout going to third at high rpm. After installing the MGW shifter, I can't say that I"ve had that issue anymore.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I love mine. It got even better when I switched to Motul DCTF. The hate comes from years of longstanding issues though. And no matter how nice it is in operation, if you use it back to back with say, a Tremec TR6060, it's clearly a little bit lacking. But the factory twin disc clutch makes up for that in a way.

I've always thought that the only real issue with the MT82 itself is quality control. It's gotten much better since the early days, but there's still definitely some janky units out there. I also suspect a lot of issues that seem trans related (like high RPM lockouts) are actually due to the body mounted shifter and misalignment of the shift gates when the motor is torqued back under full load. These cars have a lot of NVH compromises.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I love mine. It got even better when I switched to Motul DCTF. The hate comes from years of longstanding issues though. And no matter how nice it is in operation, if you use it back to back with say, a Tremec TR6060, it's clearly a little bit lacking. But the factory twin disc clutch makes up for that in a way.

I've always thought that the only real issue with the MT82 itself is quality control. It's gotten much better since the early days, but there's still definitely some janky units out there. I also suspect a lot of issues that seem trans related (like high RPM lockouts) are actually due to the body mounted shifter and misalignment of the shift gates when the motor is torqued back under full load. These cars have a lot of NVH compromises.
Dead nuts, attaching the shifter to the box is a huge improvement. Unfortunately, the manufacture of the BlowFish went belly up. That was/is a really solid improvement..And was reasonably priced, did change the lube to BG, love some BG long time.

The throw, not sure what the gripping is all about there.

OP
OP
AvalancheSVT

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
  • Banned
Dead nuts, attaching the shifter to the box is a huge improvement. Unfortunately, the manufacture of the BlowFish went belly up. That was/is a really solid improvement..And was reasonably priced, did change the lube to BG, love some BG long time.

The throw, not sure what the gripping is all about there.
i was wondering if there was a benefit to doing the trans mount vs body mount shifter.

Sponsored

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
I never really had any problems with my Mt-82s in both my s550s. Got locked out of third at 7500 RPM a few times, but I think that was probably a clutch problem moreso than the tranny, but idk. Never really got all the hate for em either, personally.
I got locked out at anything over 3k. Sold the car after 3 months for the auto.

OP
OP
AvalancheSVT

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
It’s because the MT82 is a piece of Chinese made garbage. Doesn’t deserve to be in a Yugo much less a Mustang. People at Ford should be fired for this.

Oh wait, I have the A10. Never mind. :giggle:
i know you're kidding but that's the weird thing. the A10 has just as much complaining as the MT82, the complaints are just different. it seems like this is just one of those "hey lets bitch about this thing not being world class paganni level awesomeness or my thing better than your thing" nonsense.

i've even seen someone complain about the tremec in the 350 and M1's for cryin out loud.

Deleted member 69033

I've seen the yt vids of guys talking about the lockout, but mine's never done it to me at any rpm. I personally wouldn't buy a sports car with an automatic unless it was a c8 or a Ferrari or something. Luckily, I don't have to worry about THAT.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
i know you're kidding but that's the weird thing. the A10 has just as much complaining as the MT82, the complaints are just different. it seems like this is just one of those "hey lets bitch about this thing not being world class paganni level awesomeness or my thing better than your thing" nonsense.

i've even seen someone complain about the tremec in the 350 and M1's for cryin out loud.
I agree with that, I have the 10 auto and it has its own set of unique issues. I had one in my F150 so I was aware of most of them but it is kinda hit or miss. Low to mid throttle it is herky jerky quite often. Now when you mat the throttle and hold on, it never skips a beat...

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
It's not a terrible unit perse, but it's not until you drive a good one that you realize what a pos it really is.

It's kind of like beef... sure you can make a flank steak taste good, but then you have a nice juicy ribeye and it completely changes your concept of quality.
Sponsored