Sponsored

The big Intercooler thread.

Cmw458

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow black ford mustang ecoboost premium PP
As was said stop and go traffic isn't a great way to measure effectiveness. There's a bit more to it than simply saying <10 degrees over ambient is the goal (such as is it the first pull or several, is the ambient 70 or 90?, etc.)

Normal for the Street IC in hotter temps. (60-70 degrees) on the first pulls is is 10-15 over ambient. This is shown on the charts on the product page.

For hotter weather - especially pushing more power - the Race does make a difference, for sure.

Yeah definitely going to be going race through you guys here in the near future. I definitely think with the upgrades I've surpassed the street unit.
Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Yes, but...increasing boost, increases power (torque). With increased power comes increased heat, no way around it. So, more power for a few quick bursts on the street, or dragstrip, is fine. But to do it constantly, for 20-30 min in a HPDE event, is a whole different world. Yes, I could install a tune for street use, which admittedly, would be fun. But honestly, I'm fine with the stock power level on the street. So I'll continue to work on the cooling. Once that is sorted, then I may add a tune.
I haven't been able to verify on track, but I think my E30 map makes the engine run cooler. So, while I agree with your general statement about power=heat, this may be a good way to dissipate a little more of that heat?

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
I haven't been able to verify on track, but I think my E30 map makes the engine run cooler. So, while I agree with your general statement about power=heat, this may be a good way to dissipate a little more of that heat?
I've never heard of E30. Is that a west coast thing? We only have E85.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I've never heard of E30. Is that a west coast thing? We only have E85.
E30 is just a mixture of E85 and 93. The EB and SS don't have the injectors needed to push E85 without fuel system hardware upgrades.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
E30 is just a mixture of E85 and 93. The EB and SS don't have the injectors needed to push E85 without fuel system hardware upgrades.
Ya, this ^^^. My E30 is a 1:3 mix ratio of E85 and 91 (we only get 91 in Kalifornistan). The alcohol gives significant knock resistance, but it also has a cooler flame temp, which I think is coming into play on the engine temperature side.

Sponsored

ANS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
71 pages of info, I tried going through as many as possible before running out of time. From real-world experience, what is the best intercooler if the price was not a concern?

cvf-jason

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang

ANS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Most expensive doesn't necessary equal best intercooler.

Give us a look. Data-backed performance on a large, efficient core (details in the link below) and featured on record-breaking 800hp+ Mustang.

https://www.cvfab.com/products/cvf-race-intercooler-for-14-18-ford-mustang-ecoboost
I live in Texas and currently use the Cobb intercooler on my mustang hpp. Temps are currently rising. Maybe I am having unrealistic expectations but I am looking for an even better option to keep my charge temps low during the summer months. The Cobb has worked well but I feel there may be better out there. How would your race intercooler compare? I am currently running the stage 3 Cobb tune on 93 octane.

cvf-jason

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
I live in Texas and currently use the Cobb intercooler on my mustang hpp. Temps are currently rising. Maybe I am having unrealistic expectations but I am looking for an even better option to keep my charge temps low during the summer months. The Cobb has worked well but I feel there may be better out there. How would your race intercooler compare? I am currently running the stage 3 Cobb tune on 93 octane.
The Cobb is a stock replacement unit. While those are MUCH better than the OEM units they still don't cool as efficiently as a larger front mount intercooler (such as our Race unit above).

There are other factors (cast end tanks for better flow, quality of the core's fin pack), but the biggest factor in determining effectiveness of the intercooler (ability to cool better than a stock replacement unit) is size. Our unit was tested for maximum efficient size without negative effects on boost.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
live in Texas and currently use the Cobb intercooler on my mustang hpp. Temps are currently rising.
how about some actual numbers?

If you're driving over 30mph and the IC/IAT is within 10F of ambient then you're fine. If you're in stop-n-go traffic your IAT will go to the moon and it has nothing to do with size of IC. A good IC will come back down under steady forward progress in ~5 minutes. One that is inefficient/small will take closer to 10 minutes or longer.

Reactions: ANS

Sponsored

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
i would definitely go for the race since since you live in texas... especially if you plan on using the AC

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
Have you considered going with a water to air system??

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
71 pages of info, I tried going through as many as possible before running out of time. From real-world experience, what is the best intercooler if the price was not a concern?
Best for what? Best for street, strip, AutoX, HPDE? Stock motor, or modded? What mods?

ANS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Best for what? Best for street, strip, AutoX, HPDE? Stock motor, or modded? What mods?
Best for both street and some autox. Cobb stage 3 tune with supporting modifications.

Cheo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Best for both street and some autox. Cobb stage 3 tune with supporting modifications.
These cars will heat soak in autox if you have to wait between runs, no matter what intercooler you have in them. We run 9 runs in our sessions, about 15-20 cars so all I can do is open the hood, it does help but it will never get to ambient temp during the run. I have a cpe intercooler, it does bring IAT down faster on the street but in autox, it helps very little imho.
Sponsored