Sponsored

Ecoboost Big Turbo Thread

5TAR5CR3AM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT deep impact blue
This thread is for discussion for current and future owners of the Ecoboost Mustang who have plans to put a larger turbo on. Share your plans, ideas, doubts, current builds, power goals, etc... anything to help benefit the community. :headbang:

We all know this car has tons of potential. We also know the stock turbo dies out above 5k rpm. Sure flow mods help, but the only way to really remedy this problem is by upgrading the turbo.

I have already been talking to my tuner. We are shooting for an under-stressed 500whp/wtq with room to go more. Let's face it. Anyone who mods their car never stops when "goals" are met. For this I am split on 2 turbos. The Precision PTE6266 and the Garrett GTX35R. Both will get me to my power goals fairly easily with a lot of room to go. We are going to start out slowly with a preliminary target of 400/400 and build it up slowly from there. Fueling and how much tq the stock block can handle are going to be my main concerns. I'm probably going to build the block using parts designed for way higher power figures just for piece of mind. Ohh and we will be tuning it using Cobb's AP and AccessTuner Race software.
Sponsored

TurboAg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost PP 6MT
I'm excited to see what this platform can do. However, I'm more interested in solving the fueling side of the power equation first...

OP
OP

5TAR5CR3AM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT deep impact blue
That's why we are starting low and going to build up to my goals. We'll use pump gas first take it to its limit and go from there. I'm curious to see how long the hpfp will be able to keep up. E85 isn't exactly available to me. There are only 2 stations within 50 miles to my knowledge that have it. More than likely I'll be spraying meth.

TurboAg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost PP 6MT
They both look sweet. How does the Garrett compare price-wise to the PT?

Sponsored

EcoSnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard EB PP
More boost on pump gas scares me. Need more volume. I'm already hitting 25psi. That is the most psi ive ever run on pump gas. Need to combine with e85 for some nice linear power.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
E85 is a fairly good stop-gap solution. BUT, what we have learned from all of the other crazy EB builds that we have done is that using a 100% methanol injection kit usually turns out better and more reliable results. Even in cases where we have elected to preform a turbo swap and run big boost, 100% methanol injection.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]WSlvKcG3neo[/MEDIA]"]

For a car that is a little closer kin to the EB Stang, this beauty is coming back in April for a meth injection kit:

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]NEqWi0JTho0[/MEDIA]"]

TurboAg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost PP 6MT
More boost on pump gas scares me. Need more volume. I'm already hitting 25psi. That is the most psi ive ever run on pump gas. Need to combine with e85 for some nice linear power.
That's why we need fuel system upgrades because I don't think we can even run E30 to its full potential

OP
OP

5TAR5CR3AM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT deep impact blue
Yes but 25 psi on the stock turbo and 25 psi on let's say the pte6266 is vastly different.

OP
OP

5TAR5CR3AM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT deep impact blue
They both look sweet. How does the Garrett compare price-wise to the PT?
Don't really know yet. The Pte with the ball bearing upgrade is around 1700 but they also charge you for different housings and options. I'm assuming ATP is going to make a drop in gtx35 which will probably be around the same price. The gtx should produce a little more power in the midrange where the pte will be shifted more towards the top end. Either way they are both great turbos.

Sponsored
OP
OP

5TAR5CR3AM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT deep impact blue
See I like the idea of meth injection. From previous experience e85 is a pain in the ass to deal with, but it is an easy solution to increase fuel octane... given the fuel system can handle it. Meth is easier to store and if you are ever in a pinch certain types of windshield washer fluid work too :cheers:

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
...in a pinch certain types of windshield washer fluid work too :cheers:
IDK if I would be quite so cavalier if it were my personal vehicle lol.

But I would feel much better using M1 over E85 for a long term solution to the EcoBoost fueling problem.

EcoSnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard EB PP
Yes but 25 psi on the stock turbo and 25 psi on let's say the pte6266 is vastly different.
Sorry I thought mentioning needing more volume from a bigger turbo is obviously good and will make a positive difference. Just worded poorly in my op. Was trying to say that even with a bigger turbo I worry about raising boost without better fuel. Or as livernois mentioned at least a meth kit.

Last edited:

EcoSnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard EB PP
IDK if I would be quite so cavalier if it were my personal vehicle lol.

But I would feel much better using M1 over E85 for a long term solution to the EcoBoost fueling problem.
I was told that the advantages of e85 wasn't the added power from higher octane so much as the predictability of how it burns. Making it safer to run higher boost and afrs. If that is true wouldn't it be safer in the long run on a modified motor assuming the fuel components are safe for it?

DanFish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT, 2015 Black Eco
So I want to upgrade to a bigger Garrett turbo I would only have to upgrade the compressor and turbine housing right? Shouldn't the stock oil and coolant lines work on bigger turbo?
Sponsored