SCCA CAM-C Thread

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Had a pretty good day at the HouSCCA event #5. I could have shaved some more time by making easy changes, but the car felt good, times dropped and I feel ready for the South Texas Champ Tour next weekend.

I ended up finishing 22nd out of 176 (PAX) so not bad. I easily should have been 5-7 tenths faster, but I overcooked the entry to the slalom after the sweeper and didn't take a good arc into the back side of the course (off the track)

HouSCCA #5 Best Run--Ken
Sponsored

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Cayman, 2023 Lighning
Just getting to the weekend was a chore this last week(worked 25 of 30 hours Thurs, 3am - Fri 8am). Finished about where I probably should have, given my car, and driver prep. I had a one cone run about a second off where I need to be to be in X-Pro, but 1.5-2 secs off NightmareMoon, and others in our x-pro class, And my clean run was good for less than a tenth from being in front of the regular CAM class of 8 or 9 people.
Going in on Wednesday for a badly needed alignment, and have a harness coming today. I was getting thrown around quite a bit, and hadn’t gotten the sparco positioned where I was actually comfortable. Might build a tire trailer this week, if I can find time.

Evo School on Friday, and the south tex tour this weekend.

Best one cone run, half sec faster than the last clean one.

Last edited:

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Had a pretty good day at the HouSCCA event #5. I could have shaved some more time by making easy changes, but the car felt good, times dropped and I feel ready for the South Texas Champ Tour next weekend.

I ended up finishing 22nd out of 176 (PAX) so not bad. I easily should have been 5-7 tenths faster, but I overcooked the entry to the slalom after the sweeper and didn't take a good arc into the back side of the course (off the track)

HouSCCA #5 Best Run--Ken
I love the Police academy, but 175 cars is a lot to get through there. That was an interesting set up they had, where was the paddock, out in the parking lot???

BadHabit2Break

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
I love the Police academy, but 175 cars is a lot to get through there. That was an interesting set up they had, where was the paddock, out in the parking lot???
It was definitely a lot of walking, think I did 4.31 miles.

Everyone parked in the parking lot.

Grid was a small parking lot by the trailers.

Then you drove over to a point where you had to cross the track in between someone's runs and get to the starting line.

There was a check-in for everyone, another check-in for run/work, and then a third check-in at your time to work.

Track seemed to really test my "look ahead" technique, which I failed at twice (DNF).

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Beautiful pic/edit by local photographer from last event.

Cover photo.jpg

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Beautiful pic/edit by local photographer from last event.

Cover photo.jpg
Pic is great but he really should clean his camera sensor (sorry - bothers me every time I see it) . Car looks good with front really low (assume you were on the brake).

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Pic is great but he really should clean his camera sensor (sorry - bothers me every time I see it) . Car looks good with front really low (assume you were on the brake).
Yeah, was in a brake zone off heading into the flat part of our location. If you watch my video above, it is the 34-ish second mark.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Joking, not joking. 4-cylinder turbo muscle cars are an affront to everything that is holy and CAM should not acknowledge their existence. There's nothing 'classic American muscle' about 4cyl turbo powerplants.

I just wanted to circle around back to this one. I have an Eco, but I think everyone knows me enough to know I don't get too bugged about the V8/4 cyl thing.

My former Mustangs:
1989 - 1967 coupe with 289 2v & headers
1990 - 1964 1/2 coupe, 302 2v with 3 speed. Later changed to T-10 4 speed & 4 barrel.
1993 - 1979 Indy Pace Car with *everything* I could do to turn that sow's ear into a silk purse. Great experience, but a really bad handing car which was chronically unstable and had pretty serious handling imbalances. I learned a ton on this thing including a distaste for Koni dampers and oversteer.

My point is this: I drove several period correct Mustang hot-rods before anyone really cared much about them. I think I can comment on then from a reasonably informed place.

The Eco is never in 100 years going to overpower a Coyote car. Having said that, a Coyote doesn't drive anything like those old Mustangs. A 302 was only a high-rev engine in Boss form. A 302 wedge engine made its power on the low end and was done by 5000 RPM. The late 80's/early 90's H.O. engines would maybe get to 5500 rpm before running out of breathe, but that was as good as it ever got.

The Eco drives very much like those old 302's. There's plenty of torque on the bottom and they rev out fairly early. The Coyote makes a ton of power, but you have to turn the RPM to make it go. They make twice the power of a 302. Peak torque is pretty much the same, but at a much higher RPM. The 5L H.O. was ready to go the moment you touched throttle which is similar to feel of the Eco. Criticize if you want, but it's fun as shit to drive.

In 1970, Ford had 9 engines available from a 200 cid inline 6 to the Boss 429. The current base Eco is analogous to the 302 2v. The HPP, maybe a 351 2v. The Coyote is similar to the Boss 302. The Shelby stuff imitates the early big block options.

At the end of the day, it all looks very similar to how it's always looked to me.

Last edited:

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Congrats to @NightmareMoon for the stomping this past weekend at the South Texas National Tour event. Car was on rails and he wheeled it like the pro he is.
Me? Not so much.
Also good to meet @murphyslaww

Back to the drawing board for me. Did better than my first National Tour event, but not near where I wanted to be. Actually after day 1 I would have been happy with a 10th place...finished 11th. Ugh.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Back to the drawing board for me. Did better than my first National Tour event, but not near where I wanted to be. Actually after day 1 I would have been happy with a 10th place...finished 11th. Ugh.
It sounds like you spent a weekend wringing the piss out of your car and hanging out with friends. That should be a 'W' in anyone's book. Racecar stuff is only about the time sheet if you're getting a check on Sunday afternoon. If not, it's about the experience.

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congrats to @NightmareMoon for the stomping this past weekend at the South Texas National Tour event. Car was on rails and he wheeled it like the pro he is.
Me? Not so much.

Was good to meet you too. I am so lucky... :curse: To have @NightmareMoon in my club and get to chase him every event. Time for Aero, and stock bushing replacement, to do what I can to make up for my wussy driving. Brian Burdette did just fine without Aero. and was in the trophies. My first day was horrible after the first run spin. I think I was trying to see how much I could put on the odometer without actually hitting any cones. I actually didn't hit a cone the entire event, which is probably part of the problem.

Anyway, only the third event since coming back, so hopefully, I'll improve. I did the second day, after getting lost on the course on run 1, then picking up a second + per run after that. I felt more aggressive. The car felt loose, and bushings and aero should directly improve that. Almost made it into the 66's which I think I would have been somewhat happy with. I ended up 13th.

On another note, the car did weigh in at 3480 with a 1/4 tank of gas, so at 6.5lbs per gallon(4 gallons), for the gas, I was stupidly close on my guestimate of 3456.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Me? Not so much.

I have a bunch of years of head start on the skill part. Although it seemed like a stomping, Sutton was right there and that 0.8 sec lead I had on day one wasn't nearly as comfortable as it seemed. going into Run 3 in day 2, if I didn't improve on my times, he would have actually stolen the win with the time he put down on his third run. Shit was tense.

I hate to see people struggle with expectations based on competition results, because the competitions are designed so only a few can win and everyone is trying for those few spots. OTOH, how happy were you with your driving? Did you execute your plan to your abilities, or did you make mistakes you know you can fix? What areas did you identify that you think you need to work on? That's all you can do.

In the end, once somebody isn't making big errors in judgement or skill, they probably have to work through a long laundry list of small things that each cost 0.05sec to whittle their times down to ones that can win a class consistently. Knocking out all those little changes in habit or run plan take a lot of time and effort, but the path getting there can be rewarding.

Run 3 day 1

Run 3 day 2

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a bunch of years of head start on the skill part. Although it seemed like a stomping, Sutton was right there and that 0.8 sec lead I had on day one wasn't nearly as comfortable as it seemed. going into Run 3 in day 2, if I didn't improve on my times, he would have actually stolen the win with the time he put down on his third run. Shit was tense.

I hate to see people struggle with expectations based on competition results, because the competitions are designed so only a few can win and everyone is trying for those few spots. OTOH, how happy were you with your driving? Did you execute your plan to your abilities, or did you make mistakes you know you can fix? What areas did you identify that you think you need to work on? That's all you can do.

In the end, once somebody isn't making big errors in judgement or skill, they probably have to work through a long laundry list of small things that each cost 0.05sec to whittle their times down to ones that can win a class consistently. Knocking out all those little changes in habit or run plan take a lot of time and effort, but the path getting there can be rewarding.
Well said. I remember in 2012 when Todd Roberts and I were trading wins every other week in STX, wondering about the actual enjoyment I was getting out of it. It was stressful, but I was new, and still had a lot to learn, and still do, on prepping a car for regional and national events.

I am actually, lucky, to have two really competitive clubs, especially in CAM-C to push me. Took measurements for a splitter yesterday ! Gotta decide out of what material now. Then the rear spoiler, and a long think about the Wilwoods. Next easy button, is/are, an aluminum drive shaft, then corner balancing, and probably call it done.

Sorry, still figuring out the GoPro.

Day one, run 2 for me:

Sunday, Run 3:

Last edited:

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

Run 3 day 1

Run 3 day 2
I've been watching Beeville video's since Sunday night. You were absolutely flying!

Sutton is a monster who can drive the wheels off whatever he gets in. I've seen him destroy folks in an NSX, his 911, a GT3, and obviously now Fletchers Mustang.

Nice work!
Sponsored