Sponsored

Race Trailer Advice Needed, Please

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2019 F150 King Ranch
Ive been modifying my Mustang GT and it will soon be a dedicated track car. I’ve started looking for enclosed car hauling trailers. Wondering if someone could give me some advise on trailers. I just want the smallest size that will work so I can keep the trailer over on the side of my driveway. A 20x8.5 double axle I saw yesterday will work from a interior space and overall weight capacity, but I’m concerned about the balancing and tongue weight With the car loaded on the trailer. With the mustang being heavy in the front, I wasn’t sure if the center of weight would match-up with the trailer axle or if that is a concern. I also looked at a 24 foot trailer. The length from the center of the back trailer axle to the back of the trailer on the 20’ is about 6.5 feet, on the 24' that length is 8.5 feet. In other words, if I do the 20 foot trailer and load the car in it’s most rear position possible in the trailer, the approximate point where the car is over the middle of the two axles would be approximately 90 to 100 inches from the rear bumper of the car. I think the mustang is about 188 - 190 inches length over all, so I think there will be a lot more car weight toward the front of the trailer especially considering the front engine. With the 24 foot trailer, I could shift the load back up to 2 feet if needed. Do you think the 20 foot trailer would work, or I’m I asking for trouble?
I'm pulling with an 2019 F150 4x4 Crew Cab, 3.6L EcoBoost with Max Towing Package. So rated for towing max weight of around 13,000 lbs and from what I have read Ford says the tongue weight should be no more than 10% of the total weight being towed. So, depending on type of trailer, construction material, etc. Car + Trailer might in the 9000 to 10,000 lb range totally loaded. So Tongue weight would need to be no more than 1000lbs max.
Any advice, comments or suggestions would be great. Also would love to hear what set-up others are using to tow their cars to track events and if you are happy with the set-up. I have not considered an open trailer, but I guess that too is an option.
Thank you!!!
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Weight distribution hitch is something you should looking into right now if you look at F150 towing guide, anything towed above 5klb required WD hitch - of course they're playing it safe but with enclosed and heavy car in it, I'd definitely get it - I have one for my open trailer which is probably half the weight of the enclosed one.

Everything else will be fine.

WoodburnGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
If you buy a 20’, you’ll wish you had 24’. If you buy a 24’, you’ll wish you had 28’.
I have a 24x8.5 and love it, the extra room is always a good thing……but I still wish I had 28😂

95397107-0785-4BA0-85B3-812175C1AFA1.jpeg

B020ADF8-D451-491A-BD95-909DF3D60BF6.jpeg

nbjeeptj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I think you can get a lot more trailer than you think under the weight of your F150. The weight tickets below are from truck (f250) ready to go to the track (tools spare wheels etc) and then the ticket with trailer and car in it. I have a steel 28' trailer with 12" extra height, with bathroom, generator, bed, water heater, AC unit and with load distributing hitch only at only , 1500 lbs tongue weight and 10160 lbs total trailer with car. I don't know for sure what all the extra stuff on my trailer weighs but the generator, is on the tongue with a 5 gal fuel tank. There is a water tank, bed, battery, water heater, and cabinet with a microwave in the 1st 30" of the trailer. So I would think a 24' trailer especially if you got a aluminum one would be no problem for your truck.

Before I had my 28' trailer I had a 20' enclosed and I had a 18' tilt aluminum. The open trailer was in my opinion the overall way to go. So much easier to tie car down. It does not feel as massive etc. Im my case I was starting to do over night stuff and needed something I could camp in. If not for that I would still have the open trailer. There is a side benefit to the enclosed, and that is a lot of the stuff you take to the track can just stay on the trailer. So when you get ready to go, there is a lot less packing. I never did like the 20' enclosed. The down side of difficult tie down along with no real additional storage made the open trailer my go to. Another thing to note I was able to pull the open trailer with a Chevy Colorado, and still stay legal with that.

1668525036272.png

IMG_5145.PNG

EuroKllr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
What's your price point?

If price is not a concern then go with a 24ft all aluminum trailer like the one WoodburnGT posted (beautiful!). A 20ft enclosed trailer is really tight, especially if you want cabinets or plan on hauling extra gear (wheels, tools, equipment, etc). Also, a 20ft enclosed trailer makes it really hard to secure your Mustang because there's not much room to move around inside when the car is in the trailer.

Regardless of size, make sure your trailer has an escape hatch on the driver's side and either low profile fenders or removable fenders. Also, depending on how low your car is and the max approach angle, an extra long loading ramp is really nice (7ft - 8ft minimum, 10ft is better).

Your truck is strong enough to pull a steel trailers no problem, but an all aluminum will be much easier in just about every way except price and availability.

Good luck!

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I wouldn't go enclosed with a half ton. I had a half ton to tow a 26' enclosed snowmobile trailer, and it was absolutely terrifying. White knuckle the whole time. I bought a 3/4 ton as fast as I could. Granted I went diesel, and my truck currently weights ~8600 lbs. Our 10k camper is barely noticeable behind it.

You are going to be around 8-9k once you add trailer weight, car, driving gear, extra wheels, tires, jacks, and tools. With that stuff you need to drag along, I would go either open trailer, or get a bigger truck first. 3/4 gasser would be perfect (The new 7.3 is a beast). When your trailer and car weighs significantly more than your truck, has a huge side profile, and you have the short wheelbase of a half ton, you are asking for trouble.

Another thing you need to keep in mind. That GVWR is the max of everything. So if you got more than you in the truck, if you have food, full tank of fuel, bed cover, bed mat...etc...all of that comes out of your max tow weight.

Good luck!

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
WitoTX kinda said that but F150s and similar are really payload limited - not tow rating limited. They have 1,500-1,600 lbish of payload (especially with more fancy trims, moonroofs and stuff) - and that payload really limits your tongue weight (since that is _everything_ that is in the truck - four 200lb people take away half of it). Check your door sticker OP.

OP
OP
Holmes

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you buy a 20’, you’ll wish you had 24’. If you buy a 24’, you’ll wish you had 28’.
I have a 24x8.5 and love it, the extra room is always a good thing……but I still wish I had 28😂

95397107-0785-4BA0-85B3-812175C1AFA1.jpeg

B020ADF8-D451-491A-BD95-909DF3D60BF6.jpeg
That is a nice rig you have there! And thank you for the information. Do you drive the Mustang onto the trailer or do you have a wench? Any other tips or do's and don't for buying a trailer?
Buy new or used? What do you think my budget should be to get something nice?
THANK YOU!!!

OP
OP
Holmes

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Holmes

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WitoTX kinda said that but F150s and similar are really payload limited - not tow rating limited. They have 1,500-1,600 lbish of payload (especially with more fancy trims, moonroofs and stuff) - and that payload really limits your tongue weight (since that is _everything_ that is in the truck - four 200lb people take away half of it). Check your door sticker OP.
Good information there!! Thanks!

OP
OP
Holmes

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP here. I guess another thing I was considering is my garage space. I have a 3 car attached garage and no space to expand. Garage already has 3 cars inside including the Mustang. So I have little room for my other gear. F150 lives outside. I was wondering if it is practical to let the Mustang live in the trailer parked on the side of the driveway, thus freeing up a garage bay. Or is that a bad idea to leave a car in an enclosed trailer for an extended period of time?

nbjeeptj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I use a in floor winch to pull the car in and then with the Etrack in the floor strap over the rear wheels to strap it in. This is a picture from when I was building the inside of my trailer.

For your cost, it seams the top of the market is past us, and pricing is getting more reasonable. I have seen a lot of trailers for sale on FB 24' ish in the 7 - 14 range for plain plywood interior to 35k for a full race package with AC, cabinets, generator cabinet. I bought mine for right under 20K before the market went crazy and built it out to suit my needs.

IMG_4593.jpg

OP
OP
Holmes

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you wench the car into your trailer or drive it in?

nbjeeptj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
OP here. I guess another thing I was considering is my garage space. I have a 3 car attached garage and no space to expand. Garage already has 3 cars inside including the Mustang. So I have little room for my other gear. F150 lives outside. I was wondering if it is practical to let the Mustang live in the trailer parked on the side of the driveway, thus freeing up a garage bay. Or is that a bad idea to leave a car in an enclosed trailer for an extended period of time?
I leave mine in the trailer a good bit of the time, both to keep it out of my way in the shop and from being lazy when I come home from the track. I think the only bad thing in my case is if the trailer was to be stolen then they would get my car also, but I guess that's what insurance is for.
Sponsored