Leroy Tire Trailer

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
Here's what I think of if your Mustang is not a complete track car... driving down the road at the light, some dude pulls in behind and thinks "What the hell does that guy trailer in a Mustang?" or Texas, Alabama, Missouri version "Hey that ole' boy tows his Bass boat with a Mustang!"
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Here's what I think of if your Mustang is not a complete track car... driving down the road at the light, some dude pulls in behind and thinks "What the hell does that guy trailer in a Mustang?" or Texas, Alabama, Missouri version "Hey that ole' boy tows his Bass boat with a Mustang!"
I did some canyon driving this last weekend. When I made it to the top, there were several car enthusiasts parked and hanging out. Before my car even came to a full stop, someone tells me "you lost your boat" in reference to my trailer ball mounted at the rear end.
I might just leave that thing on because it gets hilarious reactions

Last edited:

glockholiday

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I still wish there was a lightweight option. This thing is 10x overbuilt for a tire trailer.

Every now and then I'll walk by my Curt hitch laying in the basement and think should I install it. Then I lift it up and say... "nope"
What do you do with your car where you think you'd even notice the difference in 40#s on an almost 4000# car? not trying to be a dick but unless you're counting seconds around Willow Springs or tenths of a second in the 1/4 it won't matter.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What do you do with your car where you think you'd even notice the difference in 40#s on an almost 4000# car? not trying to be a dick but unless you're counting seconds around Willow Springs or tenths of a second in the 1/4 it won't matter.
The whole point of this is to bring tires to the track, so I think it's safe to say that everyone in this thread is quite literally counting seconds.

glockholiday

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
The whole point of this is to bring tires to the track, so I think it's safe to say that everyone in this thread is quite literally counting seconds.
You're helping my point though. You're obviously not worried about the weight since you're running it still but what's NeverSatisfied doing that he needs a lighter version. I guess he's NeverSatisfied haha

Sponsored

Bitten in '69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 03 Cobra, 90 GT, 82 GT
OP, you might want to be careful with that small trailer. Most are only rated for 45mph. The tires are not speed rated, and the small diameter wheels will spin the bearings into an early grave at highway speeds. Take care.

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
OP, you might want to be careful with that small trailer. Most are only rated for 45mph. The tires are not speed rated, and the small diameter wheels will spin the bearings into an early grave at highway speeds. Take care.
I've pulled my crappy HF tire trailer at 100+mph for extended periods and zero issues.

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
You're helping my point though. You're obviously not worried about the weight since you're running it still but what's NeverSatisfied doing that he needs a lighter version. I guess he's NeverSatisfied haha
You may find yourself shocked at what shaving weight not only does for lap times, but reduced consumable cost as well.

Hitch on it's own--agreed, but notable weight shaving comes from a combination effort.... Lighter wheels, race seats, tire kit out, jacking rails off, etc. Before you know it, you've shed 100+lbs and it's noticeable.

So I've avoided putting 40lbs of steel as far as possible from the car's axis of rotation... In comparison, the hitch on my Miata I used to pull the same trailer was 7lbs.

ZPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I met a guy with a Camaro at the track the other day that had this Leroy trailer:
004_8faaac64-df64-47d1-83e0-b0c4a829c61d.jpg

He modified his hitch so that the receiver pointed down in front of his diffuser so you couldn't even see it when the hitch was out. The hitch was basically a "U" shape from the receiver to the ball. I think that he maybe modified the whole thing to be on a 1-1/2" receiver which would be lighter for those concerned. It was a sweet setup.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
I think Leroy would design and build a suitable hitch for us if someone would take them a car. Any Shelby owners near Cleveland wanna take one for the team?

Sponsored

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
I think Leroy would design and build a suitable hitch for us if someone would take them a car. Any Shelby owners near Cleveland wanna take one for the team?
I’d gladly treck over there with my Gt and take my curt hitch if they were interested.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
This idea came after a phone conversation with Jonathan at Leroy. They’re up for it.

I’m a 9 hour drive away, and I’m tempted. Maybe I’m being overly optimistic but they’ve built some slick hitches for several other enthusiast cars that are (I’m guessing) rated for tire trailers not campers or boats so a lot lighter, and probably more aesthetically pleasing.

Last edited:

IanKar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Mustang Mach1 HP A10; 22 Shelby GT500 HP
For those who want to bring track tires to the track but either don't want to stick them in the back seat or who have a roll bar installed, there is always the tire trailer route.
1644604490870.png

Curt 1-1/4" receiver
Curt 5" riser
1-7/8" ball
Leroy Engineering Paddock 335 Tire Trailer
Hi Eric. I have the Mach1 HP and looking underneath I have the bottom plastic panel that looks like I will have to remove in order to get a tow hitch installed. I don't want to lose this panel that is connected to the diffuser and apparently helps with the air flow but also protects the coolers etc. Did you have to remove yours? I do track my car and have a roll bar in the back so cannot put tires there either.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Eric. I have the Mach1 HP and looking underneath I have the bottom plastic panel that looks like I will have to remove in order to get a tow hitch installed. I don't want to lose this panel that is connected to the diffuser and apparently helps with the air flow but also protects the coolers etc. Did you have to remove yours? I do track my car and have a roll bar in the back so cannot put tires there either.
I have a regular GT so no plastic panel on my car. I think I've read other Mach 1 owners say they did not have to remove that panel to make it work. It attaches to the frame rails - not sure what the underside of your car looks like but check if you have access to the frame rails with the panel still in place.

I've also found that you can still fit 4 wheels in the car even with a roll bar installed.
1 in trunk
1 between down bars of roll bar (might depend on brand but for Watson it works)
take passenger seat out...
2 stacked on top of each other where passenger seat went

IanKar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Mustang Mach1 HP A10; 22 Shelby GT500 HP
I have a regular GT so no plastic panel on my car. I think I've read other Mach 1 owners say they did not have to remove that panel to make it work. It attaches to the frame rails - not sure what the underside of your car looks like but check if you have access to the frame rails with the panel still in place.

I've also found that you can still fit 4 wheels in the car even with a roll bar installed.
1 in trunk
1 between down bars of roll bar (might depend on brand but for Watson it works)
take passenger seat out...
2 stacked on top of each other where passenger seat went
Thanks Eric. I want to go 305 with 11" wheels all round ( I need 1" spacer in front) as I have staggered set-up now. But was hoping to have 1 or 2 spares, thus the trailer. Mine looks like it doesn't have room but I'll take it down to a tow hitch shop and see.
I managed to get x2 305 wheels in my trunk. 1 in the well and one on top. I do have the Watson roll bar and behind the drivers side it looked like I could squeeze one through but couldn't get it right. Are you saying squeeze through the downbars from the trunk side? So take out the rear seat delete? Good tip on the passenger seat. As long as it's street legal in BC Canada. I'll have to check. This way I could take 5 wheels, overall. Side note -I got your name from Coastal-Mach with whom I did the Mach1TrackAttack with last year.
Sponsored