Mach-1 Ford Perfomance Compatible Oil Catch Cans question

Rhyanski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 #M5810, 2018 Mazda CX-5 Ultimate
I have a friend traveling from the US to Bulgaria in the next days, and I want to order Oil Catch cans for the Mach 1, as we don't get Ford Performance parts here.

So, I went looking into the performance parts website and searched for a catch can (oil-air separator https://performanceparts.ford.com/search/Oil-Air_Separator).
So this is where my confusion starts - I can see there are left and right side ones for the ecoboost. There's a dedicated one for the GT500 without indication which side it fits.
I've figured this one fits the passenger side as it is clearly labeled it fits the Bullit and the Mach 1 - https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6766-A50A
However, there's no catch can for the driver side...

My question is - as the Mach 1 inherits the manifold from the GT350, does this one ( https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6766-A50S) fit the Mach 1 as well.

It does not make any sense to have a catch can on the passenger side and not on the driver side, and it is totally misleading while trying to figure it out on the website.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rhyanski

Rhyanski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Don't need one on the driver's side on Mach 1, passenger only. M-6766-A50A "A" is an exact fit.
How's that?

Maybe the engine layout is confusing me, but I see there seem to be 2 breathers, one on the left and one on the right side of the engine.
The passenger side hose seems to be entering behind the manifold valve, and the driver side seems to be entering the cold air suction pipe just like the 350.

This is what I mean.

Mach1 Engine Bay.jpg

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
There are two - driver's side hardly produces anything the catch can catches.

Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
A general rule I've read here and elsewhere is (correct me if I am wrong): the oil separator to purchase and install is associated with the PCV valve or hose. Buy the kit for that side.

In a M1, you need passenger side only.

If an EcoBoost, purchase and install driver side.

If you have a V8 engine and track often, some like to have both installed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rhyanski

Rhyanski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Nice! I have 250$ to spend on something else, LOL.

Good to know that rule of thumb though. Thank you all for the advice, I was already scratching my head whether I don't get it or Ford messed up.

RobZ71LM7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 F-150
How's that?

Maybe the engine layout is confusing me, but I see there seem to be 2 breathers, one on the left and one on the right side of the engine.
The passenger side hose seems to be entering behind the manifold valve, and the driver side seems to be entering the cold air suction pipe just like the 350.

This is what I mean.

Mach1 Engine Bay.jpg

Think about it for a second. The passenger side is behind the throttle body so it seems engine vacuum which is really negative compared to the valve cover/crankcase. The driver's side sees very little vacuum being in front of the throttle body-even wide open. You're drawing a lot more crankcase vapor through the passenger side due to higher delta p.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Only get driver's side if you're boosted. Otherwise it's an expensive looking piece of plastic.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I recognize you want Ford Performance parts, but I highly recommend the AAD catch can. I have it for my GT350, and it's a lot better than Fords. The Ford just sort of hangs there, and if memory serves me correct, it uses the studs from the intake and valve cover for support. It may not matter, but I wouldn't want any additional weight on that plastic stud coming out.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rhyanski

Rhyanski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
We have really crappy fuel around, and I bet tons of stuff doesn't burn the first time fuel goes in the engine, so I definitely want to avoid anything coming back.
What about fuel filters? Have you considered one? Normally the fuel pump gets the nastiest debris from the tank, but I was wandering if the injectors get damaged by stuff that passed anyways, so would a fuel filter make sense...

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
We have really crappy fuel around, and I bet tons of stuff doesn't burn the first time fuel goes in the engine, so I definitely want to avoid anything coming back.
What about fuel filters? Have you considered one? Normally the fuel pump gets the nastiest debris from the tank, but I was wandering if the injectors get damaged by stuff that passed anyways, so would a fuel filter make sense...
The fuel filter is fine. Don't spend money that you don't have to. My two cents: Drive the car, enjoy it. If you happen to find something wrong or broken, upgrade it. I'm personally struggling to find things I actually need to change, not just want to change.

I'm putting on headers, Borla ATAK, and a tune soon to get rid of the restrictions that exist there. I haven't even begun with suspension yet unless I find a reason.

OP
OP
Rhyanski

Rhyanski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
I recognize you want Ford Performance parts, but I highly recommend the AAD catch can. I have it for my GT350, and it's a lot better than Fords. The Ford just sort of hangs there, and if memory serves me correct, it uses the studs from the intake and valve cover for support. It may not matter, but I wouldn't want any additional weight on that plastic stud coming out.
The mach 1 can is different than the 350 one on the passenger side. It has a dedicated metal bracket installed and shouldn't be a problem. I have been looking at all cans available on Ford performance site and checked the differences.

I'm opting for ford performance option as it is branded ford and the local dealer service staff may not pay attention to it. Any non-ford stuff would draw attention and they usually may question the warranty. Yet another EU bull s*it.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Some info on ford catch can for v8 mustang and Shelby ( except gt500)
If you track the car and do NOT have the 500 aluminum valves covers, you need both the driver and passenger side for sure
If you have the aluminum valves covers, just a bit of oil will be sucked on the driver side. without them. A lot
On street car, passenger is good enough

Last edited:

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Do many of you who DON'T track your Mach 1 bother with the catch can? I've been debating it for a bit, but am leaning towards doing it... At worst, could be a fun lil weekend project for someone who hasn't turned a wrench in a while and wants to get his feet wet again. Sounds like the installation is fairly simple...
Sponsored