Sponsored

GT350 Engine Refresh - Part 2

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Bad valve seals...not sure what led to their failure TBH
I wonder if you just found and fixed the cause of at least some of the now-well-documented high oil consumption problems that took out a bunch of Voodoo engines. They seemed to go down hill fast after they started to consume oil, just like yours.

A bad or slightly out of spec batch of valve stem seals is all it would have taken...
Sponsored

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I wonder if you just found and fixed the cause of at least some of the now-well-documented high oil consumption problems that took out a bunch of Voodoo engines. They seemed to go down hill fast after they started to consume oil, just like yours.

A bad or slightly out of spec batch of valve stem seals is all it would have taken...
Definitely possible, but I'd think that most would notice some (or in my case, a lot of) smoke. Easy way to tell. Just peak into the intake ports and you'll see oil sitting on top of the valves.

On the last track day, it really started to get heavy (video below). Rather interesting dichotomy to see how much it's smoking yet how well it's idling. haha

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Definitely possible, but I'd think that most would notice some (or in my case, a lot of) smoke. Easy way to tell. Just peak into the intake ports and you'll see oil sitting on top of the valves.

On the last track day, it really started to get heavy (video below). Rather interesting dichotomy to see how much it's smoking yet how well it's idling. haha
Apparently your catalytic converters weren't working that day - if they were, there'd be a lot less smoke... :wink:

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Apparently your catalytic converters weren't working that day - if they were, there'd be a lot less smoke... :wink:
Cats? Ain't nobody got time for cats! :D

shelbyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sandy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350 Track Package White w/blue stripes
Hahaha....well who likes cats but if you want to register it in this freekin state out here you need em!!:angry::angry:

Sponsored

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Hahaha....well who likes cats but if you want to register it in this freekin state out here you need em!!:angry::angry:
Registration? Ain't nobody got time for that :)

In all seriousness, I would never EVER drive this setup on the street. It's so damn loud. Green cats are an excellent compromise IMHO. Catless smells and bursts ear drums.

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
Kevin,
Would you happen to still have the valve seals?

jlauth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
There is just zero excuse for this kind of manufacturing slop in the age of CNC. And it wasn't till "recently" someone dusted off their mechanical engineering 101 text book and relearned the topic of spring-back and started to use a torque plate properly so the bores would actually be round.
I'm not sure what tolerances they were holding on these bores or what thier repeatibility looks like, but even with CNCs there are lots of factors when you are mass producing parts. Coolant temp, air temp, casting quality, tool wear, clamping, ball screw wear, spindle temp, spindle runout. Even a chip behind a tool during a tool change will cause bore runout or OOT parts. All of these things become a big factor in mass production.

Sponsored

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
I'm not sure what tolerances they were holding on these bores or what thier repeatibility looks like, but even with CNCs there are lots of factors when you are mass producing parts. Coolant temp, air temp, casting quality, tool wear, clamping, ball screw wear, spindle temp, spindle runout. Even a chip behind a tool during a tool change will cause bore runout or OOT parts. All of these things become a big factor in mass production.
And let me tell you. The Voodoo is still mass production. I understand it's not Camry or Accord level, but that is still mass production.

jlauth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
And let me tell you. The Voodoo is still mass production. I understand it's not Camry or Accord level, but that is still mass production.
I am guessing that it is produced with the exact same CNC machines cutting the Coyote engines, just different tooling and programming. The machines most likely read an RFID tag on the block which tells the machine run 5.0 Coyote or Run 5.2 Voodoo. I am not positive on this but that is what we do.... I am a Process Engineer for one of the big 3 (not Ford), I have experiecnce in both engine blocks and transmission cases. We make 1 million+ transmission cases with 10+ bell housing variations and all on the same CNC machines. The capabilities are pretty amazing, but when you live it and you see 100s of CNC machines pumping out parts 24/7, you understand better that even with technology there are challenges.

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
nice write up and info. I'll be building a new sleeved short block this year as well and swapping it over.

JCSIX13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
We've been in contact :)

The plasma-wire arc coating is a topic of wide debate on these blocks. Because you can't really reasonably hone the cylinders without re-coating them (and no one I'm aware of doing this for Coyote blocks), the only 2 options are to sleeve them and or replace. Given the Detroit tolerances (i.e. poor bore-to-bore spacing), I chose to have mine sleeved and the bores aligned down to the 0.001". She runs MUCH smoother than any OEM block ever would now. Worth every penny.

20190401_143129.jpg
Who did you have sleeve your block? How much did it cost?

Thanks
Jack

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Who did you have sleeve your block? How much did it cost?

Thanks
Jack
Tim at MPR Racing Engines sleeved the block. Total cost for the short block build was ~8,500 (included custom pistons, billet connecting rods, etc.). About half went to machining and the sleeves IIRC.
Sponsored