Sponsored

Compiling GT350 and GT350R Lightweighted components

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
As we know Ford has gone through some effort to get the GT350 and GT350R lighter without sacrificing performance. Which is often difficult to do. Maybe would should start collecting information on what components are light weighted, their part number, their weight, their cost, Pictures, and there ability to be swapped onto a regular mustang. Then have an moderator put that information in a separate locked thread with only data.

GT350:
-CFRP Radiator Support; Effects powertrain and brake cooling.

GT350R:
-CF Wheels; Likely wont clear S550 without Body panel modification.
-CC Front Brake Rotors, Pads
-Rear Seat Delete; May effect interior trim mounting.
-Aluminum Rear Bumper Beam: May effect bumper mounting.
Sponsored

DruidBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
Some of these parts were mentioned in the Ford parts website. I know the wheels were there. If you want to compile the info that is where I'd look.

Edit: found the spoiler too I think?

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Spoiler isn't for lightweighting but thought I'd include it anyway for anyone interested. Also not sure if the dash panel is any different.

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Some items for your list:
transmission
flywheel
engine oil pan

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Smaller Grill Cutouts on the GT350R

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Bullitt2065

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Despite the order guide listing carbon ceramic brakes for the front of the GT350R, the blue show car definitely does not have them installed. I was at NAIAS last night at the car definitely had steel/iron rotors.

Given there was absolutely no mention of carbon ceramic brakes in any press release, or presentation about the car, I suspect that order guide might not be correct. It's probably a preliminary version and not the final one.

Last edited:

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Given the front end modifications I doubt the aluminum bumper bar will transplant over, likewise for the rear.

Sponsored

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2011 GT Premium, 2012 BMW M3, Etc Etc
If you're going to Spend all that on the effort and the expense to add these Mods to a Lesser Mustang model... Why not simply just buy a GT350???

Doing the Math ... After all the Mods I did to my s197 Mustang... It would have been better to just buy one Specialty build that didn't defeat any warrantees. Just speaking logically here.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
If you're going to Spend all that on the effort and the expense to add these Mods to a Lesser Mustang model... Why not simply just buy a GT350???

Doing the Math ... After all the Mods I did to my s197 Mustang... It would have been better to just buy one Specialty build that didn't defeat any warrantees. Just speaking logically here.

It's the way hot rodders think, man.

It may cost more to build it and customize it, but it's yours.

That is how the early guys did it..what can be made to work with what.

How else do you think Flatheads made it into cut up 1932 Model A's :ford:

OP
OP
68fbjjz109

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP

It has nothing to do with building a GT350 out of a lesser model. . It just about compiling a list of lightweighted components, that where designed by Ford that meet all their internal standards that would help you shed more weight out of you car.

Aluminum bumpers alone would prob save you 20+ pounds, safely.

I am seriously considering getting a GT350. But if I can throw a couple GT350R Goodies on it shed some weight and have OEM fit, finish, and quality. Because the fact is I can't afford the GT350R, they will likely be hard to come buy in comparison to a GT350.

If I decide to keep my 67, the fact is the GT350 is likely 17K more than a GT PP. That gives me some wiggle room for cool mods for the GTPP. Shedding weight improves performance, brake/tire wear, fuel economy ect. There is a part of my that thinks it would be cool to do a wolf in sheep's clothing and do a subtle shelby in the skin of a base GT.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
It has nothing to do with building a GT350 out of a lesser model. . It just about compiling a list of lightweighted components, that where designed by Ford that meet all their internal standards that would help you shed more weight out of you car.

Aluminum bumpers alone would prob save you 20+ pounds, safely.

I am seriously considering getting a GT350. But if I can throw a couple GT350R Goodies on it shed some weight and have OEM fit, finish, and quality. Because the fact is I can't afford the GT350R, they will likely be hard to come buy in comparison to a GT350.

If I decide to keep my 67, the fact is the GT350 is likely 17K more than a GT PP. That gives me some wiggle room for cool mods for the GTPP. Shedding weight improves performance, brake/tire wear, fuel economy ect. There is a part of my that thinks it would be cool to do a wolf in sheep's clothing and do a subtle shelby in the skin of a base GT.
That was my line of thinking too...

If the CFC radiator support can be swapped over..front and rear bumper bars. Those could easily add up to 35 lbs off the nose of a base GT and would bring a base GT PP down from 3,730 down to 3,700 even.

Toss on an exhaust, CF or aluminum DS, battery and lighter rims take out the "trunk junk" and you're looking at 3,610ish lbs with a FULL tank. Take 75 pounds out for track days at 1/4 tank? 3,535 lbs without driver.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
If the CFC radiator support can be swapped over..front and rear bumper bars. Those could easily add up to 35 lbs off the nose of a base GT and would bring a base GT PP down from 3,730 down to 3,700 even.

Toss on an exhaust, CF or aluminum DS, battery and lighter rims take out the "trunk junk" and you're looking at 3,610ish lbs with a FULL tank. Take 75 pounds out for track days at 1/4 tank? 3,535 lbs without driver.

...then tubular front k-member(-20-25lbs), two-piece brake rotors(-20-25lbs for all 4 corners), lightweight seats(-100lbs if starting with a premium, -20 maybe if starting with manual Recaros), pull the back seat with seatbelts(-10-20lbs ish), drain the washer fluid reservoir(10lbs maybe).
Sponsored