Sponsored

GT350 Weight?

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
I still don't see the point of FPC and no DI. I asked someone about the FPC and the answer I received amounted to "makes no sense, had to be Marketing" Still very shocked they did that in a production car.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to have one but not for the price of nearly two of my car.

Why do you want direct injection? There is quite a large body of Internet evidence of direct injection related engine problems

As well neighbours bmw has had to have major repairs with less than 40000 miles. Happy to leave the weight and cost plus the risk off the engine at this time
Sponsored

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
Why do you want direct injection? There is quite a large body of Internet evidence of direct injection related engine problems

As well neighbours bmw has had to have major repairs with less than 40000 miles. Happy to leave the weight and cost plus the risk off the engine at this time
Yes due to poor oil control and poor oil. DI has several performance advantages.

I'm convinced everyone wants FPC because they like saying it without understanding it.

Fox9350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 5.0 GT (former car)
I didn't watch all the videos and interviews but have they mentioned much about weight? The less they talk about weight loss the more worrisome it is, see 2015GT.

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
Yes due to poor oil control and poor oil. DI has several performance advantages.

I'm convinced everyone wants FPC because they like saying it without understanding it.

I agree that people don't understand. Yes agree di has advantages, but happy to wait a few years as they work out kinks

Pharmer John

Dr. Beardface
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP Guard
From the Q&A with Jamal Hameedi:

Q: Is the GT350 lighter than the base GT?
A: Yea, we’re not really talking curb weight today, but there was a lot of light-weighting. Much of it went to offset all the mass that we added in terms of power, brakes, etc., but we also went beyond that too.

Q: Why no carbon ceramic brakes?
A: I think you’ll find out later that affordability was a big part of this car.

Q: So keeping price down was a big part of that?
A: Yes. That was a priority with this car.

Based off that, it seems tha tthe base GT 350 should be lighter than the base GT with PP. As far as cost, I would predict starting in the 50-55k range based on his comments about affordability.

Sponsored

Jimdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado and R32 GTR
added detail to my guess...
GT350 "base"
-0 Aluminum rotor hats & cross-drilled offset slight increase in front rotor & large increase in rear rotor size
-0 lighter driveshaft cancels stronger half-shafts
+10lbs tire weight (could be wrong, maybe lighter rims offsets tires)
-20lbs carbon radiator support
-20lbs Aluminum diff housing
-10lbs lighter crank (or more)
-10lbs lighter flywheel/clutch assembly (~47lbs to ~37lbs)
-10lbs lighter transmission
-45lbs sound deadening & NVH related parts deleted or changed
-5lbs lighter front suspension arms
-10lbs lighter exhaust (would be 25lbs but active valves add 10lbs & rear diffuser added 5lbs)
-30lbs misc (little stuff like 1lb engine cover...)
total: -150lbs or about 3,550lbs

flaps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
GT350 "base"
-0 Aluminum rotor hats & cross-drilled offset slight increase in front rotor & large increase in rear rotor size
+10lbs tire weight (could be wrong, maybe lighter rims offsets tires)
-10lbs lighter flywheel/clutch assembly (~47lbs to ~37lbs)
-10lbs lighter exhaust (would be 25lbs but active valves add 10lbs & rear diffuser added 5lbs)
-30lbs misc (little stuff like 1lb engine cover...)
total: -150lbs or about 3,550lbs
Shouldn't you compare the weight to the GT PP and not the base GT? The performance pack adds like 50-70lbs over the base model.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I still don't see the point of FPC and no DI. I asked someone about the FPC and the answer I received amounted to "makes no sense, had to be Marketing" Still very shocked they did that in a production car.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to have one but not for the price of nearly two of my car.
I think there are two primary benefits with an FPC, the significance of which depend on what you want out of the car.

The first, and most significant IMO, is the reduction of counterweights on the crank shaft. This reduces rotational inertia, making the engine feel more responsive when throttle blips are required (for heel/toe shifting for example). This advantage is important to me, but maybe not to most.

The second benefit is the even exhaust pulses due to the change in firing order, which can improve airflow, freeing up some power. IMO, this is a minor factor because I am pretty happy with the power from the Boss 302 Roadrunner engine, and believe Ford would have been able to do a bit better with the increase in bore and other incremental improvements.

As far as DI is concerned, IMO that can help any engine, flat plane or not. The cooling effect and improved fuel control allow higher compression ratios and therefore more efficiency and power. Still, if you look at gasoline adds over the past 20 years, you'll see that the main talking point has been all the detergents that are intended in large part to keep the intake tract clean. So you loose that cleaning effect with DI, which can allow build-up in some situations. I have a VW GTI and haven't had issues, but some others have. I personally like DI overall, but am also fine without it.

I do think the different feel of the engine (low inertia, high revving), will make the car feel very racy, even when you aren't pushing it. And maybe it will help the weight on the front, by getting rid of some of the crankshaft weight.

It certainly won't hurt from a marketing perspective either.

Sorry for the off topic post.

-T

Jimdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado and R32 GTR
Shouldn't you compare the weight to the GT PP and not the base GT? The performance pack adds like 50-70lbs over the base model.
Ok:thumbsup:

GT350 "base" vs GT base PP
-25lbs Aluminum rotor hats & cross-drilled offset slight increase in front rotor & large increase in rear rotor size
-5 lighter rims offsets tires
-10lbs lighter flywheel/clutch assembly (GT ~47lbs to GT350 ~37lbs)
-50lbs misc (little stuff like 1lb engine cover...)
total: -200lbs or about 3,550lbs

it's only a guess :)

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
The base gt350 will be every bit of $60k and the optioned version will be close to $70k. Speculating about weight is great if you learn something. But making statements like brakes will weigh more is obviously wrong it is laughable. Have you not looked at the pictures? The brakes have aluminum hats and pin drive discs the discs have narrower bands if you're a car guy you should know that just by looking at the pictures. The wheels are expensive forged wheels. My cheap TSW wheels on my 2010 cost far less than what Ford charges but probably slightly more than what Ford pays and they weigh 8 pounds less than the OEM wheel and my PP wheels are ridiculously heavy.
So, what about speculating on cost? What are you going to say if a base GT350 is far less than $60k?

Sponsored

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
I'm sorry, I just had too.

The older guys here have no fricken clue what that is so your point isn't taken too well, but the guy (or girl) is crushing something with his hand it appears.

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
I bet with all the goodies and support it will weigh about 80-120 lbs less than GTPP. 3550-3650 is the range I would guess. Anything less would drive the cost and they made more than one comment on keeping a certain price point.

C.Fair23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
As a HUGE fan of this show, I have no clue what your point was. It's over 9000 is the only thing that came to mind, but that certainly doesnt apply to the weight of the car. Curious, what was your point?

I'm sorry, I just had too.

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
As a HUGE fan of this show, I have no clue what your point was. It's over 9000 is the only thing that came to mind, but that certainly doesnt apply to the weight of the car. Curious, what was your point?
What show man?