Sponsored

GT350R electronics pack vs GT350 track pack weight speculation

Doc Holliday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 GT500
Ford has said that the GT350R will be 130 lbs lighter than the GT350 track pack model. However, I suspect that many R's will be ordered with the electronics pack, as I probably would, to get some creature comforts back (like AC and a radio). For this comparison, my sources are the Ford press release at the GT350R release and the leaked order guide.

Part of the weight savings comes from the carbon fiber wheels, which reportedly have saved 13 lbs each. If that takes into account the differences in tires, that is 52lbs total. Of note, this is unsprung weight, which should have an even greater effect on handling.

Assuming the above is accurate, then the remaining 78 lbs comes from removal of these items:

air conditioning
stereo system
rear seats
trunk floorboard and carpet
emergency tire sealer and inflator
backup camera
resonators

Now, ordering the electronics package adds these items back:

dual zone climate control
7 speaker audio with nav screen
universal garage door opener
turn signal mirror
(surprised backup camera wasn't listed here)

So let's compare that to the track pack for a moment. The 7 speaker audio with nav probably weighs slightly more than the 6 speaker/no nav system on the track pack car. A Shaker 1000 system (which would be considerably heavier) in an s197 weighs 85 lbs.

I have no idea if the dual zone climate control is any heavier than standard A/C in the track pack. Either way, I suspect the A/C system adds back a fair amount of weight. The A/C system in an S197 weighs around 38 lbs. The garage door opener and turn signal mirrors likely add minimal amounts of weight.

So where does that leave us? In this comparison, the weight savings over the track pack are the cf wheels, rear seat delete, trunk floorboard/carpet delete, resonator delete, backup camera delete. A rear seat delete was good for ~20 lbs in an s197 if you also removed all the belts and mounting hardware. Trunk carpet/floorboard was only about 7 lbs in those cars.

My guess is that GT350R with electronics pack will weigh about 70-90 lbs less than the GT350 track pack. I'm very interested in seeing how the actual weights turn out.
Sponsored

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, F10 BMW M-Sport 2019 GT2
Ford has said that the GT350R will be 130 lbs lighter than the GT350 track pack model. However, I suspect that many R's will be ordered with the electronics pack, as I probably would, to get some creature comforts back (like AC and a radio). For this comparison, my sources are the Ford press release at the GT350R release and the leaked order guide.

Part of the weight savings comes from the carbon fiber wheels, which reportedly have saved 13 lbs each. If that takes into account the differences in tires, that is 52lbs total. Of note, this is unsprung weight, which should have an even greater effect on handling.

Assuming the above is accurate, then the remaining 78 lbs comes from removal of these items:

air conditioning
stereo system
rear seats
trunk floorboard and carpet
emergency tire sealer and inflator
backup camera
resonators

Now, ordering the electronics package adds these items back:

dual zone climate control
7 speaker audio with nav screen
universal garage door opener
turn signal mirror
(surprised backup camera wasn't listed here)

So let's compare that to the track pack for a moment. The 7 speaker audio with nav probably weighs slightly more than the 6 speaker/no nav system on the track pack car. A Shaker 1000 system (which would be considerably heavier) in an s197 weighs 85 lbs.

I have no idea if the dual zone climate control is any heavier than standard A/C in the track pack. Either way, I suspect the A/C system adds back a fair amount of weight. The A/C system in an S197 weighs around 38 lbs. The garage door opener and turn signal mirrors likely add minimal amounts of weight.

So where does that leave us? In this comparison, the weight savings over the track pack are the cf wheels, rear seat delete, trunk floorboard/carpet delete, resonator delete, backup camera delete. A rear seat delete was good for ~20 lbs in an s197 if you also removed all the belts and mounting hardware. Trunk carpet/floorboard was only about 7 lbs in those cars.

My guess is that GT350R with electronics pack will weigh about 70-90 lbs less than the GT350 track pack. I'm very interested in seeing how the actual weights turn out.
I will bet you are very close..not a big difference when you really look at it.

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
I'm thinking the only way I'd go with the R model is if Liquid Blue were exclusive to it.
Sponsored