Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
BBB - feel free to skip over all of this ↓↓↓ :D

It's a sports car.
No, it's not. Even though it can be made to behave a lot more like one than its weight and bulk suggests should be the case.

Why would anyone want an auto in a sports car?
I could ask that about any kind of car, if I thought that most people thought the way I do on this topic, but again, that's just me. There's always going to be people whose preferences differ from your own, and differ for a variety of entirely valid reasons.

Nothing better then bangin' the gears and chirpin' the tires.
That may well be true for owners with a muscle car or ponycar outlook where showing off in straight line driving apparently means something good.

But if the Mustang was as much the 'sports car' that you're trying to make it out to be, that would demonstrate a lack of understanding of what a sports car is and how to take care of it.

Norm
Sponsored

MyMilkshake...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 M4 Competition & Tuned DS3R The Stang Killer
The Mustang is a Muscle Car / Sports Car / Grand Tourer ( less so)

It's more of a sports car than a Grand Tourer in my opinion, if you look at reviews and how they market it and people perceive it, it's more often called a sports car than a Tourer in fact I haven't read or heard many people say that at all, it may be different over here in the Uk though

Is all 3! It all depends on how you spec it from the factory and afterwards

Lowrider

Drive Fast...Live Slow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A poorman's coupe
:confused:How do these threads go on for 200 posts but I try to post a positive mustang thread about the GT350r winning the R&T performance car of the year and a mod shuts that down after 8 replies???:confused:
This forum does not condone magazine racing...journalists have no racing skill at all.

robb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I guess that's why Porsche no longer offers a manual in the 911 GT3.
The funny thing is the stick shift in my porsche never bothered me. Maybe because it was 1,000 lbs lighter and mid-engine. Not sure why, but American Muscle cars are more tiring to drive stick shifts. This Mustang is way more fun generally speaking though.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
The funny thing is the stick shift in my porsche never bothered me. Maybe because it was 1,000 lbs lighter and mid-engine. Not sure why, but American Muscle cars are more tiring to drive stick shifts. This Mustang is way more fun generally speaking though.
OT: Who did your stripes? Someone around the Tampa area?

Sponsored

Higgs Boson

Detonation Denotation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
IMO, anything with a backseat and weighs 3700-4000 lbs is not a sports car.

Can you take it to or test it on various types of race tracks? yes, but you can do that with a civic or a big wheel, too.

The mustang is a fun street car. It's a pony car as it always has been, which is a muscle car that is stepped down from HORSES to PONIES. Although having 430 HP is pretty good, it's more a sign of the times in the car industry than it is the mustang moving to a different class of car. EVERYTHING has more HP now. You can't compare it to our memory of what a lot of HP is, you have to compare it to what a lot of HP is today.

Handling is medium, acceleration is medium, etc etc. It's not the sharpest tool in the shed but it is well rounded and, like I said, a fun street car.

A sports car has more compromises in return for more performance.

blk_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CO 2015 GT PP
3.55 to 3.73 is really not a night and day difference and some wont even notice the difference tbh.
maybe it's just me but it feels so much faster with the 3.73s :shrug:

Manual driving just becomes a 2nd nature after a while. Traffic is fun if you have good exhaust tone to back it up lol.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Exactly my point...it's just like playing a video game and learning the controls. I always wonder what people mean when they talk about it being a pain in traffic. Roush has definitely helped the traffic become more enjoyable too lol

robb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
maybe it's just me but it feels so much faster with the 3.73s :shrug:
It definitely pulls harder on the highway with .373's. There was someone on here that did some side-by-side tests of that and the .373's pulled away.

Sponsored

Higgs Boson

Detonation Denotation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
Ford Mustang Sports Car
So if I tell you on my website that I am the smartest man alive you just have to believe me? Ford wants to position their products and market their products how they want them to fall in the marketplace.

Chrysler brought out the PT Cruiser and told everyone it is for younger people. What happened however, is only old people that wanted to feel young bought them.

It doesn't matter what the company selling the product says. What matters is what the customers think and what the whole industry is doing. Everything is relative.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It definitely pulls harder on the highway with .373's. There was someone on here that did some side-by-side tests of that and the .373's pulled away.
Well its all relevant isnt it? I mean sure in same gear taller ratio is gonna accelerate faster but what if you are in between gear speed where the lower ratio can stay in same gear longer?

smitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Auto, 13 Escape SEL
Just traded my ruby red manual for a magnetic automatic. The traffic here in Seattle sucks and I don't get the car out of town enough to enjoy the manual anymore. Plus this auto is leaps and bounds ahead of what was available when I was younger. Doubt I'll use the paddles much but they're still cool. Changes the character of the car to an effortless cruiser... I really like it. Plus it's quieter at cruise (when I actually get to do that). :thumbsup::cool:
Sponsored

Last edited: