Sponsored

Another 2020 engine failure

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Service tech said he found coolant in cylinder 7 and the valve was also bent.
Only way to bend a valve in this engine is if the cam is out of phase (since it’s near impossible to over-rev this engine). Then the bent valve damaged the head which is where the coolant came from. I’m betting the cam chain skipped due to the tensioner issue.
I’m also guessing the build date you mentioned is for the car. If you get a chance, the engine build date is on a sticker under the driver’s side spark plug cover. Likely built months before the car was built.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/gt350-r-engine-build-date-codes.117482/

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Only way to bend a valve in this engine is if the cam is out of phase (since it’s near impossible to over-rev this engine). Then the bent valve damaged the head which is where the coolant came from. I’m betting the cam chain skipped due to the tensioner issue.
I’m also guessing the build date you mentioned is for the car. If you get a chance, the engine build date is on a sticker under the driver’s side spark plug cover. Likely built months before the car was built.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/gt350-r-engine-build-date-codes.117482/
Correct me if I’m wrong, but just a simple look at the chains and the blue links and tick marks on the sprockets should be able to confirm if it skipped?

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Correct me if I’m wrong, but just a simple look at the chains and the blue links and tick marks on the sprockets should be able to confirm if it skipped?
At the point where damage has occurred, this will be impossible to check based on timing chain position. The engine would need to be turned over several times in order to get to the point where you could tell and most of these engines aren't going to be spinning anymore. Sometimes you can just look at the cam position and extrapolate where the piston is - it will be pretty obvious.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Service tech said he found coolant in cylinder 7 and the valve was also bent.
That’s likely the end result and not the cause, most techs don’t have the tools, experience or even the interest ti troubleshoot a root cause of failure…that’s not what they are paid for.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Here you go ladies and gentlemen, the moment of truth is here. Have a Crack at it.

20210929_114157.jpg
I’m sure it doesn’t make you feel any better but this seems like one of the very very few gen2 engine failures not built by Jason Altadonna - who I’m pretty sure is the builder for many of the “failed tensioner” engine failures.

OP
OP

Ravinshield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gt350
UPDATE

Picked up the car last week, the following day I heard a whistling noise that was not there before the engine went out coming from the bottom of the driver side, kind of sounds like a pulley or belt squeek but it get louder when I accelerate. Shop Foreman said he drove the car and didn't hear anything, probably going to take it back to the dealer once I do the 100 mile break in..on the other hand my Ford rep said she's working on getting me compensated but will see how that goes.

Sponsored

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
UPDATE

Picked up the car last week, the following day I heard a whistling noise that was not there before the engine went out coming from the bottom of the driver side, kind of sounds like a pulley or belt squeek but it get louder when I accelerate. Shop Foreman said he drove the car and didn't hear anything, probably going to take it back to the dealer once I do the 100 mile break in..on the other hand my Ford rep said she's working on getting me compensated but will see how that goes.
Air box not sealing well against hood?

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
Hang in there. When its fixed, press the reset button and enjoy your amazing new car. You made the right choice. You’ll see,

OP
OP

Ravinshield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gt350
UPDATE

Hello guys for those wondering what happened to my gt350. Well like I mentioned earlier, I got the car back. When driving off the dealer I heard the whistling noise from driver side, took the car back and after about 2 weeks they replaced the belt and tensioner but that didn't fix the issue. Took the mechanic that installed the engine and he felt a strong unusual engine vibration so he wants a Ford engineer to come check it out. That was like 2 weeks ago, contacted my service advisor today and he tells me he doesn't know if the mechanic already contacted the Ford engineer so pretty much nothing has been set since I was last there. Overall poor communication within each other.

On the other hand, Ford extended my powertrain warranty from 2025 to 2027, and to 100000 miles. They also sent me a debit card with 2 months worth of my car payment so I can't be mad at that. In conclusion, Ford has done a good job throughout this process and the dealership has dropped the ball almost in every single occasion from the beginning.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
Have you had a loaner all this time?