Sponsored

Aluminator Failure

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Thats a "no lube, take it or leave it" price. F*ck those guys, theyre giving you the big shaft.

and if you sent the motor to ford for an issue, remind me again why it ended up at Holbrook?
Sponsored

OP
OP
stang17

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
Thats a "no lube, take it or leave it" price. F*ck those guys, theyre giving you the big shaft.

and if you sent the motor to ford for an issue, remind me again why it ended up at Holbrook?
Ford Performance sent Holbrook the motor to do the inspection for warranty claim. I had no idea it was being sent there. Ford did offer to have the engine shipped on their dime to any other engine builder I'd prefer, if I chose not to use Holbrook.

I figured while they had the motor in their possession to get a quote from them. Apparently, they have a strong track record of success with coyotes and not a whole lot of negative reviews, if any. But damn....that price is a hell of a premium.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Why are they charging you to dissemble? That should be on Ford.

Sponsored

OP
OP
stang17

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
Why are they charging you to dissemble? That should be on Ford.
I forwarded the quote to Ford Performance and asked the same thing. Maybe this place was loading up the quote because they thought Ford was footing the bill, just how contractors do it for home insurance repairs???

I'll keep you guys posted with how I make out.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
I honestly don’t think that’s too bad a price for rebuild .... especially if you can get FP to pay for the tear down .

OP
OP
stang17

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
I honestly don’t think that’s too bad a price for rebuild .... especially if you can get FP to pay for the tear down .
The thing about the quote that throws me off is the $4,190 labor. Their website says they charge $90/hr. I wouldn't think it would take 46.5 hours to put an engine together, but again I don't know much about engine assembly.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
... may be not a great price .

I think RPG gives me a bit of a discount but my voodoo long block refresh/rebuild including new pistons / rings /rods was less than that but I have to pay $500 freight each way.

My semi local builder charges $1300-$1500 to assemble a short block (his prices Just went up ) . add may be another $500 to assemble the long block so I think the $1800 is in the ball Park
They are charging a lot of other stuff that adds up including cleaning and work on heads /crank /block ....about another $2K .
Thats enough to sleeve the block !

2C1E64AA-754A-46C7-B55A-DC4239A7E389.png

Sponsored

Basspro302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
The thing that gets me is thats not even including new rods and pistons. I would have it shipped back and find some one else.

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Over a week of labor to assemble an engine when this is their specialty, and have the all the tools, gauges and know how?

Must be using the slowest, least experienced guy in the shop with you paying for his apprenticeship (or so it seems).

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I'm not as much concerned about excessive labor prices as I would be about all the items they're going to charge you when they discover they need to be replaced.

This could be one of those classic case scenarios where by the end of the process, you'd have been better off to say "just ship me the heads and throw the rest in the ocean."

Every time they call you and inform you that you need new new guides, or new springs, or new rods, pistons, wrist pins, or the deck/bores can't be saved and you'll need a new block, etc.

This could turn out to be a big nightmare. I'd either get the entire thing back (on Ford's dime) and go to someone I trust or just know this could turn out to be much more expensive than it is right now.

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I'm not as much concerned about excessive labor prices as I would be about all the items they're going to charge you when they discover they need to be replaced.

This could be one of those classic case scenarios where by the end of the process, you'd have been better off to say "just ship me the heads and throw the rest in the ocean."

Every time they call you and inform you that you need new new guides, or new springs, or new rods, pistons, wrist pins, or the deck/bores can't be saved and you'll need a new block, etc.

This could turn out to be a big nightmare. I'd either get the entire thing back (on Ford's dime) and go to someone I trust or just know this could turn out to be much more expensive than it is right now.
This is ALWAYS how it works with a machine shop. If you walk out of a machine shop with engine work for the originally quoted price you should probably go buy a lottery ticket.

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I'd be surprised if you couldn't find someone to give you close to $5k for the aluminator as it sits. Take that money and buy a new one with a warranty (for what that's worth). It doesn't seem like they are quoting for anything more than returning it to it's original condition.
Sponsored