Sponsored

Has anyone broke an aluminator?

zuki_dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium M6 TY
We do have a low profile version but we have not had a chance to check it with the whipple.
I would be interested in a Whipple version also. Looking at the picture of the one on your site it looks like there is no way that one would clear the Whipple lower manifold. I believe it would actually have to be recessed close to the block to clear Whipple's lower manifold.
Sponsored

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Man I hate to see you guys having problems AFTER you spent good money on a build and for it to only be an issue later. I do thank you for the insight though as I will not have to go thru these same issues. olaosunt, I see you have faith in MMR's blocks/builds whereas I've heard not so great stuff from them before. Have you been satisfied with their work all along?
I am glad MMR has chimed in themselves but since they have built me a long block (Non sleeved with Boss heads for my 12) and 2 sleeved 5.2 blocks, I have experienced nothing but great custom service .Greg(I think) the engine builder has always made time to discuss any concerns I have had and my many "noob" questions .

I hear the long block in the 12 is stilll running like a champ making mid to high 800''s after 3 years even without the CG(they were not standard then and I did. not know about issues )
I loved the sleeved 5.2 in the Hellion as it purred and was quiet even with the Manley pistons .The blown head gasket had nothing to do with the block (probably tuning related ) and they offered to check the block and redeck if needed so I don't have another failure by just throwing on new gaskets .

The second sleeved 5.2 I had them build me over the winter that was originally destined for the KB car (now going in the Hellion car /the other block will go back in the KB when it gets bad )looks great.
My decision to keep going with them is not just based on price but my overall experience with past blocks and great customer service.

windsor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Bump for updates on Aluminator vs sleeved short block cost (factoring in labor)...

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Predator block is available now and crank
Do you have a link to the crank ?
Or is it the same as the 5.2 crank used in the aluminator XS?

Sponsored

windsor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Still wonder how much power even a predator block will hold with boost vs. sleeved when factoring in cost/hp.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I'm in the same boat right now deciding between sleeved vs. unsleeved.

Honestly I feel like it's a no brainer to sleeve. It's about an extra $3k and it's better to spend $13k on a bulletproof motor than $10k on a half-built motor (and then the possibility of another motor later).

Unfortunately for me I'm strapped for money and my car will be down for ~8 months while I save for it and I don't really want to extend that further. Looking at 900whp for my goal which seems to be right on the border line. Shops are telling me sleeves arent required but are a good idea. Leaning towards unsleeved so I dont have no mustang for 3 years but still havent decided...

tsloms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic PP
I'm in the same boat right now deciding between sleeved vs. unsleeved.

Honestly I feel like it's a no brainer to sleeve. It's about an extra $3k and it's better to spend $13k on a bulletproof motor than $10k on a half-built motor (and then the possibility of another motor later).

Unfortunately for me I'm strapped for money and my car will be down for ~8 months while I save for it and I don't really want to extend that further. Looking at 900whp for my goal which seems to be right on the border line. Shops are telling me sleeves arent required but are a good idea. Leaning towards unsleeved so I dont have no mustang for 3 years but still havent decided...
Honestly if you're looking to stay at 900whp I'd just grab a gen 2 short block for 2k or so and call it a day.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Honestly if you're looking to stay at 900whp I'd just grab a gen 2 short block for 2k or so and call it a day.
I just broke a gen 2 short block so 2k+3k of labor and materials to put it in isnt worth it IMO when it will probably break again.

Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
The motor swap isnt that bad on these.
My first swap was in garage out the top w harbor freight picker and load balance.

The short blocks (and long blocks) are so cost effective on these I find it difficult to justify going after more hp than they can support on the cheap.

My understanding is predator is a solid 850-900 rwhp option

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
I just broke a gen 2 short block so 2k+3k of labor and materials to put it in isnt worth it IMO when it will probably break again.
Damm man sorry to hear that,what broke on your motor??

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
I snapped the snout of the crankshaft last month. Driving along in 6th gear at about 2,000 rpm and it just went out of the blue. 12,800 miles, whipple from day 1 and ATI balancer for at least 8,000+ of those miles.

I'm committed to staying with 93 octane and a bottle of octane booster with each fill up, so 800-850 whp would be the max I push it. This being said, I went with an aluminator as it should comfortably be able to support my goals.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)

Dennisn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
I did the aluminator motor first. Had to install springs, then lifted heads and had to stud it. Was into it for what I have into my now sleeved motor.

Keep in mind believe the aluminators do NOT come with Cg. So if your gonna install that figure that into cost.
Sponsored