Sponsored

Has anyone broke an aluminator?

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
I did the aluminator motor first. Had to install springs, then lifted heads and had to stud it. Was into it for what I have into my now sleeved motor.

Keep in mind believe the aluminators do NOT come with Cg. So if your gonna install that figure that into cost.
The current aluminator now includes the upgraded crank gear. I had asked ford performance about this before ordering.
Sponsored

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
I did the aluminator motor first. Had to install springs, then lifted heads and had to stud it. Was into it for what I have into my now sleeved motor.

Keep in mind believe the aluminators do NOT come with Cg. So if your gonna install that figure that into cost.
What kind of power/boost were you making when you lifted the heads?

tsloms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic PP
On my stock gen 2 I was lifting the heads with 17psi of whipple pushing it. Adding head studs sealed it up without having to replace the factory gaskets.

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp

Whats CG?

Sponsored

Nawsad123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bonez
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I snapped the snout of the crankshaft last month. Driving along in 6th gear at about 2,000 rpm and it just went out of the blue. 12,800 miles, whipple from day 1 and ATI balancer for at least 8,000+ of those miles.

I'm committed to staying with 93 octane and a bottle of octane booster with each fill up, so 800-850 whp would be the max I push it. This being said, I went with an aluminator as it should comfortably be able to support my goals.
How has the aluminator been treating you? Just blew my motor and dropping in an aluminator myself, hoping for it to hold better than the stock motor which blew after 12k miles

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
On my stock gen 2 I was lifting the heads with 17psi of whipple pushing it. Adding head studs sealed it up without having to replace the factory gaskets.
Wow! Only 17 psi? I have spoken with a few Gen V Whipple owners who have went almost 19 psi on the stock motor for multiple passes. That said - they are Gen 3 cars. Who tuned the car and how many runs was this before it blew? Thanks!

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
How has the aluminator been treating you? Just blew my motor and dropping in an aluminator myself, hoping for it to hold better than the stock motor which blew after 12k miles
July 2019 we made 819 whp and 608 ft lbs Rob Shoemaker PBD 96 octane tune and 764 whp and 556 ft lbs 93 octane tune.

Car had been running perfect and went 9.98 and 138mph in 1/4.

3 weeks ago I redyno the car at a local car show and my same tune that made 819 whp and 608 ft lbs was now only making 760 whp and 553 ft lbs. I pulled the plugs and did a compression and leak down test.

Compression varied amongst cylinders from 195 all the way to 235. Leakdown test at 100 psi had a few cylinders only hold 70ish psi.

Engine only has 6,200 miles on it since July 2019 when it was installed and otherwise has been running great. Not burning any oil, smoking, or loosing any coolant.

I emailed Ford Performance and was advised I can send the motor back for warranty replacement/repair as I'm within their 2 yr/ 24 month warranty window.

Motor is getting pulled and shipped back to them end of this week.

I'm thinking the rings didn't seat correctly and now over the course of 6,200 miles are starting to oval the top of the cylinders as the leakdown tests got worse as piston got near top dead center, but improved as the piston moved back down the cylinder. I looked down cylinders with boroscope and top of the pistons and cylinder walls looked fine. Spark plugs also looked good with no sign of detonation.

My friend who also runs an aluminator pushes his wayyyy harder than I do. He did cometic head gasket, ARP head studs, upgraded his 2.9 whipple (same as mine) to a 10 rib setup with 20% ATI and has done 167 mph roll racing at the Pocono events up here in PA. His air load is 230+ so I imagine he is making in around 1000 whp on e85. He has at least 60k miles on motor without issue.

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
July 2019 we made 819 whp and 608 ft lbs Rob Shoemaker PBD 96 octane tune and 764 whp and 556 ft lbs 93 octane tune.

3 weeks ago I redyno the car at a local car show and my same tune that made 819 whp and 608 ft lbs was now only making 760 whp and 553 ft lbs. I pulled the plugs and did a compression and leak down test.

Compression varied amongst cylinders from 195 all the way to 235. Leakdown test at 100 psi had a few cylinders only hold 70ish psi.

Engine only has 6,200 miles on it since July 2019 when it was installed and otherwise has been running great. Not burning any oil, smoking, or loosing any coolant.

I emailed Ford Performance and was advised I can send the motor back for warranty replacement/repair as I'm within their 2 yr/ 24 month warranty window.

I'm thinking the rings didn't seat correctly and now over the course of 6,200 miles are starting to oval the top of the cylinders as the leakdown tests got worse as piston got near top dead center, but improved as the piston moved back down the cylinder. I looked down cylinders with boroscope and top of the pistons and cylinder walls looked fine. Spark plugs also looked good with no sign of detonation.

My friend who also runs an aluminator pushes his wayyyy harder than I do. He did cometic head gasket, ARP head studs, upgraded his 2.9 whipple (same as mine) to a 10 rib setup with 20% ATI and has done 167 mph roll racing at the Pocono events up here in PA. His air load is 230+ so I imagine he is making in around 1000 whp on e85. He has at least 60k miles on motor without issue.
What compression?

Sponsored

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
What compression?
11:1....when I called Ford Performance to order the engine I had asked about the 9.5:1 version for supercharged applications, but was advised to stick with the 11:1.

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
11:1....when I called Ford Performance to order the engine I had asked about the 9.5:1 version for supercharged applications, but was advised to stick with the 11:1.
Oh ok. You have the Gen 2 aluminator? I think the gen 3 has the same internals as the gen2..going back and forth between the gen3 aluminator and the rpg gen3 motor. Rpg has stronger rods and pistions but cost a couple more dollars. I didn't realize the aluminators came with a warranty? I sent ford performance an email and they said the long blocks come with a warranty not the shortblocks.Rpg has a 1 year 12,000 mile warranty.

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
Oh ok. You have the Gen 2 aluminator? I think the gen 3 has the same internals as the gen2..going back and forth between the gen3 aluminator and the rpg gen3 motor. Rpg has stronger rods and pistions but cost a couple more dollars. I didn't realize the aluminators came with a warranty? I sent ford performance an email and they said the long blocks come with a warranty not the shortblocks.Rpg has a 1 year 12,000 mile warranty.
*gen2 aluminator and the gen 3 aluminator have the same internals.. I think

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
I have the gen 2 longblock. Most tracks want a full cage if running below 7 seconds in the 1/8th or 135 mph in the 1/4. Pump gas 93 has gotten my 4100 lb race weight car to exceed those numbers and have been warned multiple times at all 3 of my local tracks- Numidia, Beaver Springs, and Island.

If you are like me and use the car mainly as a daily and only take it to the track occasionally, I don't see the need for anything much more stronger than an aluminator. RPG does great work and would be another good choice.

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
I have the gen 2 longblock. Most tracks want a full cage if running below 7 seconds in the 1/8th or 135 mph in the 1/4. Pump gas 93 has gotten my 4100 lb race weight car to exceed those numbers and have been warned multiple times at all 3 of my local tracks- Numidia, Beaver Springs, and Island.

If you are like me and use the car mainly as a daily and only take it to the track occasionally, I don't see the need for anything much more stronger than an aluminator. RPG does great work and would be another good choice.

How do you get the rings to rings didn't seat correctly? Drive it normal for the first 1000miles?
Sponsored