SCCA CAM-C Thread

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Hm I see I see... I find this helpful since I have seen long, long lists and many recommendations of "Go Michelin since its your DD too...go Michelin because they perform best."

So it is refreshing to hear "go for the budget option Firehawks".

But 19x10s aren't the move eh? I see. Much thinking to do.

I like the idea of trying 19x10s and going from there. Honestly anything is better than 17x9.5s if I am not trying to get into this for actual competition. More likely these first 2 seasons I want to just have fun.

Check the Apex Wheels S550 fitment guide. Lots of good advice for solid options.

I started autocrossing on PS4S tires and they were around 2 to 2.5 seconds down from competitive 200 treadwear tires.
Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Hm I see I see... I find this helpful since I have seen long, long lists and many recommendations of "Go Michelin since its your DD too...go Michelin because they perform best."

So it is refreshing to hear "go for the budget option Firehawks".

But 19x10s aren't the move eh? I see. Much thinking to do.

I like the idea of trying 19x10s and going from there. Honestly anything is better than 17x9.5s if I am not trying to get into this for actual competition. More likely these first 2 seasons I want to just have fun.
@NightmareMoon is a great source of info. Considering he's a national champ, take anything I say with a grain of salt. 18" rim is always the go-to, there are so many more tire options available at that size. I'd second his statement, if you are just trying to figure CAMC out, the firehawk is the way to go.

That would give you a good base to understand what the car does when you supply an input, and then build the car around your driving style, as opposed to throw money at it, then have to figure out how to drive around the car.

I learned this lesson after doing the latter.

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
@NightmareMoon is a great source of info. Considering he's a national champ, take anything I say with a grain of salt. 18" rim is always the go-to, there are so many more tire options available at that size. I'd second his statement, if you are just trying to figure CAMC out, the firehawk is the way to go.

That would give you a good base to understand what the car does when you supply an input, and then build the car around your driving style, as opposed to throw money at it, then have to figure out how to drive around the car.

I learned this lesson after doing the latter.
Thank you for the input! Yes I regularly take this car out for long canyon drives (every three-four days) and eeally take her through the corners. So every few weeks or months I do a small upgrade and get used to it one thing at a time.

Just want to make the right wheel decision the first time, tires not so important then until I find the right wheel for me.
I am a measure twice, buy once and never again guy. So if 19x10 is good and can last me…five years in “fun” amateur time chasing, that’d be great but if it won’t hold up if I choose to pursue more pro…

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
@NightmareMoon Would you recommend the Steeda Mustang Trident Gloss Titanium HPDE Wheel and Tire Package then if I wanted to start out the gate with something better? 19x11s!

(Yikes on pricey!)

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Think I might take Night’s original advice on 19x10s and upgrading if needed/still into it.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
19x10 SVEs with MP4S for the canyon drives and some autocross on the side.

Move up to 11s later.

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Nightmare, much appreciated.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
.So we only need to shave off 10-12 seconds :like:. Very excited to enjoy this season very relaxed to learn and come into next year swinging on new treads!
Do the beginner (coached) course walks and talk to the faster drivers in the class. Pretty much everyone will try to help you. We can give you a couple simple things to do with the car, but mostly you just need to drive. When you can get within about 4-6 seconds of a fast sticky-tire time for your car with street tires, then go to a 200Ttw tire. You'll find about 1/2 of it right away. Then you get to start playing with the car, learning how to drive a stickier tire and improving overall consistency for the rest of your life.

You're better off spending money on the driver first. Also, watch all sorts of YouTube in-car. Most people don't understand how aggressive you need to be in some places and how chilled you need to be in others.

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Do the beginner (coached) course walks and talk to the faster drivers in the class. Pretty much everyone will try to help you. We can give you a couple simple things to do with the car, but mostly you just need to drive. When you can get within about 4-6 seconds of a fast sticky-tire time for your car with street tires, then go to a 200Ttw tire. You'll find about 1/2 of it right away. Then you get to start playing with the car, learning how to drive a stickier tire and improving overall consistency for the rest of your life.

You're better off spending money on the driver first. Also, watch all sorts of YouTube in-car. Most people don't understand how aggressive you need to be in some places and how chilled you need to be in others.
Great sage advice, roger roger on that T.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase

+100,000,000
You can always buy faster tires. Only YOU can prevent forest fires.

Sponsored

TRDFurgesson

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach1 N0426, 22 Bronco Wildtrak 2dr, 92 Yota 4x
Vehicle Showcase
So it's coming up on tire time for this season and looking for some feedback.

305/30-19 Kumho V730's were decent last year, but weren't really fast until runs 4-6 as they were still building heat. They hung in for a season and a half with 2 different organizations so can't complain about their tire wear characteristics.

Looking at the following for this year.

295/35-19 Yokohama A052
315/30-19 Falken RT600

I'm sure the Yok's are faster overall, but curious how many runs you guys are getting on them. I have a 120 mile round trip to the site and back. Primary group will have 7 events total with 6 runs each and I'm going to try and make it to the other groups events 3 to 4 times and they typically have 10 runs per event. That puts me around 80-90 runs per season. Will the Yok's be dead by the end of that? Wife is still coming to terms with me racing again and the finances involved so need the tires to last at least 1 full season minimum.
I ran 660's last year on M1 HP wheels 305/30 and 315/30 with very good results. This year Im switching to squared Apex forged 19x11 with 315/30 660's. Loosing 60lbs in rotating wheel weight can't hurt. I think 660's are a great choice.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
@NightmareMoon Would you recommend the Steeda Mustang Trident Gloss Titanium HPDE Wheel and Tire Package then if I wanted to start out the gate with something better? 19x11s!

(Yikes on pricey!)
They go on sale multiple times a year, I've seen a $1000 per set price tag at least couple times last year. I use them for HPDE for several years and the only issue I had is center caps flying away.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I ran 660's last year on M1 HP wheels 305/30 and 315/30 with very good results. This year Im switching to squared Apex forged 19x11 with 315/30 660's. Loosing 60lbs in rotating wheel weight can't hurt. I think 660's are a great choice.
Going to try the 295 Yok's this year as they seem to be one of the top tires consistently at national events. The 660's are great, but I feel there are a few tenths between the two and I'd prefer to be on 12" wheels for the 315's if possible.

I did confirm that the Tire Rack or Discount TIre can order these up, but for more money than the Yok's I'm not sure there's any extra time to be gained. May last a bit longer which might be nice though.

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/potenza-re-71rs/305-30R19/#section-tech-specs

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Only think I'd recommend when it comes to wheels is to pay some attention to what the available tire sizes will do to the gearing.

Example - for 15-17 PP GT with 3.73 rear end , 18" wheel with 315/30R18 tire would be pretty terrible choice and require shifting to 3rd everywhere.

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Only think I'd recommend when it comes to wheels is to pay some attention to what the available tire sizes will do to the gearing.

Example - for 15-17 PP GT with 3.73 rear end , 18" wheel with 315/30R18 tire would be pretty terrible choice and require shifting to 3rd everywhere.
fair point, I run 3.15 gears.
Sponsored