The big Intercooler thread.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
What's the lightest weight IC upgrade option? So far as I can see they all seem to add 30lb
That's pretty much the case. I think if you get one made that has sheet AL tanks on the ends, then that would be lighter, but a whole lot more expensive, too. The cast AL tanks on the CVF Intercoolers are heavy enough that I didn't go for the Race version based solely on weight (I autocross, so the additional weight on the nose of the car matters more than the power gain).
Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Just to put numbers out there :

Stock Eco intercooler: 6.6#
CVF Street intercooler: 21.0#

The 'Race' was described to me as 15-20# heavier than the street.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
The ATM intercooler I went with was similar to the CVF race, and was like 28-30# iirc. I figured I would live with the penalty because Texas…

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
incase anyone didnt see the thread i made in the track section. Here's a datalog from a track session. Running a cobb stage 1 91 tune on 93 was asking a lot of this intercooler. Average speed excluding out lap and cooldown lap was 65 mph, and ambient temp was in the 70's. Thoughts? I didnt realize there was still a plastic piece that appears to be covering the lower half of IC. Car was pulling abou 2-4 psi of boost excluding the peaks which was over 20psi. Am considering upgrading to cvf race IC, it fits around the stock front crash bar correct?

data2.JPG

ign.JPG

cvf-jason

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
incase anyone didnt see the thread i made in the track section. Here's a datalog from a track session. Running a cobb stage 1 91 tune on 93 was asking a lot of this intercooler. Average speed excluding out lap and cooldown lap was 65 mph, and ambient temp was in the 70's. Thoughts? I didnt realize there was still a plastic piece that appears to be covering the lower half of IC. Car was pulling abou 2-4 psi of boost excluding the peaks which was over 20psi. Am considering upgrading to cvf race IC, it fits around the stock front crash bar correct?

data2.JPG

ign.JPG
The Race will fit with the stock crash bar, yes.

You want to measure IAT2 with the Cobb AP, not IAT. IAT is up top and IAT2 is post-intercooler.

Feel free to give me a shout over PM if you've got any other questions!

Sponsored

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang

data2.JPG

ign.JPG
I'd be concerned about the oil temperatures vs the type of motor oil your using.
I run the 5W50 MotorCraft motor oil and my engine temperatures are normally lower than my transmission temperatures at WOT.

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
I'd be concerned about the oil temperatures vs the type of motor oil your using.
I run the 5W50 MotorCraft motor oil and my engine temperatures are normally lower than my transmission temperatures at WOT.
yeah for this track day i was using ford recommended 5w-50, granted this datalog was my 3rd 20 minute session. although it did cool down to normal operating temps (~200) prior to start of the next session.

temp PID is set to charge air temp. IAT was just what i labeled it when i made the chart in excel.

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
Those are excellent charge temperatures compared to mine! I guess no two cars run the same? My charge temperatures are 20 degrees hotter and my motor oil temperatures are 25 degrees cooler.

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
if upgrading from street to race, do i still need to remove the bumper, or is it only because of the design of the stock IC that the bumper needs to be removed and just removing the under tray will work?

cvf-jason

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
if upgrading from street to race, do i still need to remove the bumper, or is it only because of the design of the stock IC that the bumper needs to be removed and just removing the under tray will work?
The bumper is going to need to come off, unfortunately.

Sponsored

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
i wasn't aware there was a flow seperator on the inlet side until i got the race in my hands. Nice!

elkwood

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Elkwood
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Just wanted to say thanks to cvf-jason ! For making such a great product. I ordered the Race Inter cooler with charge pipes and couldn't be happier with the results!!!

I debated going with the street but with the price difference so close i took the plunge and went with the race. The dealership that did the install had nothing but nice things to say about it.

Thanks for answering my questions and drop shipping it for me to Granger Motors!!!

cvf-jason

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
Just wanted to say thanks to cvf-jason ! For making such a great product. I ordered the Race Inter cooler with charge pipes and couldn't be happier with the results!!!

I debated going with the street but with the price difference so close i took the plunge and went with the race. The dealership that did the install had nothing but nice things to say about it.

Thanks for answering my questions and drop shipping it for me to Granger Motors!!!
Happy to help and thank you for the kind words!

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
just swapped from the street to the race, was about a 6 hour job, mainly due to fitment/modifications that needed to be done to some plastic trim pieces. the vertical fitment seemed to be very tight once the upper supports were in. without buying new charge pipes will the silicone elbows slide further onto the inlet/outlet? i see the 2 piece kit on the website but i am not sure why there are two? the hot side (picture 2) definitely seems like there is less holding it on than the cold side.

20220507_221850.jpg

20220507_200555.jpg

20220507_201130.jpg

Boosted Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 2.3 High Performance Package
I went with the MAP Street intercooler for our Ecoboost High Performance Package, I did the install from the bottom with the car on my QuickJack lift, I also installed a Roush closed lid cold air intake at the same time. Getting the stock intercooler out was the hardest part of the entire job but not that bad. It took about three minutes of moving the stock intercooler around until it slide out.

I was surprised to find the stock intercooler had a dented spot on the bottom of it. There is a huge difference in the quality of the stock intercooler vs the MAP Street intercooler. The MAP Street intercooler went right in without any issues. The Roush closed lid cold air intake also went in without any issues.

There is a rubber flap that goes between the bottom of the radiator/condenser and the intercooler but it was pushed down and blocked the top fins of the stock intercooler and there was a foam/rubber piece that has a glue backing that was loose as well and it also was hanging down in front of the top of the stock intercooler. I removed the foam/rubber piece because it would not stick and I properly positioned the rubber flap so it properly directed the air flow between the radiator and the intercooler.

Driving with the stock intercooler and stock cold air intake the intake air temps were in the 106 degrees range at its lowest to 116 degrees while driving.

Driving with the MAP Street intercooler the intake air temps are now between 9 to 11 degrees above ambient temperature and have even gone down as low as 3 degrees above ambient temperature while cruising at a steady speed from 45 MPH up to 70 MPH. So I think the MAP Street intercooler and the Roush closed lid cold air intake are working very well together.

Here is photo showing the Roush closed lid cold air intake, the MAP Street intercooler you really can't see anything beyond the front tubes and fins of it so I did not photo the intercooler through the lower front bumper opening.

6EE7F9A5-46E9-4D7A-AE1D-7ADB11FDC7B8.jpeg
CE268B68-D96B-44B8-9CFA-B80E426230F6_1_201_a.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: