Sponsored

Another 2020 engine failure

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Not many people doubt the R version of the 350 if it has never been driven or used only extremely seldomly has increased in value disproportionately to routine car prices. Thatā€™s been witnessed.
Just a little tweak, sir.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I don't really agree. It's easy to Monday-AM quarterback this now but shit happens and while even the title of the thread suggests that he was aware of the undeniable (argue if it's valid or not) public perception that some of these engines have had issues - it's a little over the top to grill the guy as if he should have expected this to happen. What we should all expect is to just put gas in the car and drive it. Yes, this is in the family of engines that we have learned needs a little bit of extra care and feeding but it's never a good time when the worst happens.
Meh, itā€™s a little over the top to call the car/engine a POS, as well.

Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I think Ford screwed the pooch on the crank design. Wanting to be original they went up,dn,up,dn instead of the proven up,dn,dn,up throw arrangement.

I think this caused harmonics that are not compensated for, hence a higher failure rate.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Bummer to hear but is this a more than average failure issue? Years ago people were keeping spreadsheets on reported failures and motors replaced due to excess oil consumption. My 2017 is in the latter category - replaced at 9000 miles (was consuming 1 qt/250 miles). My 2nd motor after 23K miles is fine.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I think Ford screwed the pooch on the crank design. Wanting to be original they went up,dn,up,dn instead of the proven up,dn,dn,up throw arrangement.

I think this caused harmonics that are not compensated for, hence a higher failure rate.
Holy shit is it ever amazing how people can 1 - bring up stuff the thread isnā€™t even about and 2 - really have no idea what they are even saying, no matter the context.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Holy shit is it ever amazing how people can 1 - bring up stuff the thread isnā€™t even about and 2 - really have no idea what they are even saying, no matter the context.
Something caused the oil filters to unscrew. There is no evidence this failure is due to an incompetent builder.

My concern about harmonics is valid.

GM is using a traditional flat crank approach in the C8.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
OP, good luck with your replacement. If you happen to so much as lift a vocal cord to inquire of the servicing department about the status of the tensioners, thatā€™d likely take one possibility of failure off the list, or possibly nail it down.
you mistake dealer mechanics as giving a damn about 'why' and especially in the light of they being prohibited by Ford to do an actual tear-down. And at this point, short of the tensioner STILL managing to be stuck in the retracted position you can't possibly ascertain it's condition just prior to engine failure.

And furthermore, it's his thread, he can call the whole damn car and the engineers who made these choices and neglected to address heat and oiling issues etc. blithering idiots if he wants to.

The vast majority of people don't give a wet fart why or how, just that the damn thing blew up and they are disgusted with Ford's problems with QC or engineering fundamentals that may or may not have lead to it.

They want their damn car back in a timely fashion or a "full refund" and never darken Ford's door again, or something between the two extremes.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
GM is using a traditional flat crank approach in the C8.
I suspect GM has better and more thorough engineers. If for no other reason than they've watched Ford make fools of themselves and they'd rather avoid the same self-inflected gun shot.

IMO Ford Engine design needs to (re)learn a fundamental lesson - Just because (you think) you can, doesn't mean you should. All that positive accolades for doing the "unthinkable" has right or wrong been significantly tarnished and Ferrari et. al. are sniggering into their Espresso about those dumb Americans who think they are smarter than everyone else...

Ford has no race program worth a damn, and they haven't raced the Voodoo for years before they had the crazy notion to sell it to the general public. On that front GM is vastly more wise/sensible. Maybe GM's FP-crank Z06 will be a spectacular failure in reliability too and if so they will richly deserve the column inches of ridicule heaped upon their heads.

Last edited:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I suspect GM has better and more thorough engineers. If for no other reason than they've watched Ford make fools of themselves and they'd rather avoid the same self-inflected gun shot.

IMO Ford Engine design needs to (re)learn a fundamental lesson - Just because (you think) you can, doesn't mean you should. All that positive accolades for doing the "unthinkable" has right or wrong been significantly tarnished and Ferrari et. al. are sniggering into their Espresso about those dumb Americans who think they are smarter than everyone else...

Ford has no race program worth a damn, and they haven't raced the Voodoo for years before they had the crazy notion to sell it to the general public. On that front GM is vastly more wise/sensible. Maybe GM's FP-crank Z06 will be a spectacular failure in reliability too and if so they will richly deserve the column inches of ridicule heaped upon their heads.
Where did you obtain your engineering degree? You sure do make a lot of stuff up. Youā€™re a joke.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

With respect to GM engineers and their thoroughness, I submit the following:

LS7

They can't even get a traditional pushrod V8 design correct. Ford has been making similar stuff since the 60s. They should have paid more attention to how Ford did it.
Sponsored

Last edited: