Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT noise?

myjaja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
I have a 2018 mustang GT and a few days ago I noticed a sound near the pulley area. I do have the famous 2k rattle and the tick almost everyone has but I don't remember having this sound? Anyone else have it or is familiar with it?

I checked it again today and no sound. Guessing it comes and goes.

Edit: Added another video while revving.

Sponsored

Last edited:

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
That don't sound like a good noise. I'd take that one in to the dealer.

OP
OP

myjaja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
That don't sound like a good noise. I'd take that one in to the dealer.
I dropped it off at the dealer 4 days ago. Told them about that noise and the 2k rattle that most people have. They said they're opening the valve cover for the 2k rpm rattle issue.

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I dropped it off at the dealer 4 days ago. Told them about that noise and the 2k rattle that most people have. They said they're opening the valve cover for the 2k rpm rattle issue.
Please keep us posted. 2 dealers have told me the 2k rattle is normal.

Grom13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT mustang
Hard to tell from video but if it’s a chirp or sounds like crickets, it’s timing chain tensioners ford have a TSB for this problem

Sponsored

OP
OP

myjaja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
I got a call from the dealership for the 2k rattle. They're telling me its the cam phasers. So they're replacing them to see if it fixes the issue.

OP
OP

myjaja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
Got my car back today. They couldn't hear the noise that's in the video I took but they did replace a few things for me for the 2k rattle. They also noticed a small coolant leak coming from the water pump so they replaced that along with the gasket.
20200507_173004.jpg

Edit: Not even a whole day and the 2k rattle sound is already back.

Last edited:

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
Yeah I don't think the 2k rattle is going anywhere and I'd guess neither are the ticks.

Until mine blows up or drinks oil I'm in a live with it stage. It's a bit much at a drive thru though when it starts ticking.

OP
OP

myjaja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
So it went away but now is back?
I didn't really check to confirm if it was gone after getting it back but I didn't hear it on the way back. After making it home, I popped the hood to check and the sound was there. So my guess the sound never went away as the drive was only a few miles.

Also here's a new video of the other sound while revving the engine. Sounds like the lifters to me??

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Got my car back today. They couldn't hear the noise that's in the video I took but they did replace a few things for me for the 2k rattle. They also noticed a small coolant leak coming from the water pump so they replaced that along with the gasket.
20200507_173004.jpg

Edit: Not even a whole day and the 2k rattle sound is already back.
The shop did the VCT replacement, as noted here in a prior TSB I had posted a little while back:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/ford-tsb-18-2360-2018-19-5-0-coyote-vct-solenoid.113879/

Make sure the rattle isn’t the aluminum spacer plate between the engine block and transmission. That is another source of metallic rattle that’s been outlined on this site in a few different threads. Search “spacer plate”. It’s prevalent on the S550 platform, including the GT350’s... and regardless of trans type. Get the car safely and securely lifted - have someone give it a few revs while you are under it where the trans meets the block... the thin plate in between, hold it or press it against block or trans while neutral revving and see if the rattle subsides. If it does, you can place Dynamat (or similar material) wedged in between spacer plate and block to permanently stop that rattle.

mustangpegasus51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
@myjaja your first video (at idle) seem like the same as a noise I had the other day too: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/di-pump-noise.146655/ I got it this afternoon but haven't been able to replicate it this evening on a cold start.

Second video I'm not sure, as far as I know I don't have that winding noise though. I live alone so it's hard to accel and take video on the engine bay haha.

Did your dealer ever figure it out? Can you consistently replicate the noise?

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I didn't really check to confirm if it was gone after getting it back but I didn't hear it on the way back. After making it home, I popped the hood to check and the sound was there. So my guess the sound never went away as the drive was only a few miles.

Also here's a new video of the other sound while revving the engine. Sounds like the lifters to me??

It does sound like valve train noise, and this video sounds basically the same as your 2nd video in post #1.

mustangpegasus51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
@GT Pony I have these exact same noises - the glass tapping sound and the other that sounds like a windup toy. Are these both normal engine noises I just haven't noticed before? Thanks!

Last edited:

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
Hard to tell from video but if it’s a chirp or sounds like crickets, it’s timing chain tensioners ford have a TSB for this problem
I get this chirping noise frequently, but only seems to happen on cold starts. I was unaware there was a TSB for it.

And of course I have the 2k-3k rattle... but I digress.
Sponsored