orangefurygt

Does your 2018 GT Tick?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt Premium PP1 6sp /Active Exhaust/Nov17
"Does it sound the same when not in quite mode? I have heard some rattle specially when cold when in quite mode on mine."
[MENTION=31616]Mazman[/MENTION]

I have over 3000km on it now; still rattles in all modes; I had put it in quiet mode so we could hear it better on the videos.
I took it out for a longer drive yesterday and its still noisy especially when you are parked next to a car/ in a garage where the walls amplify the noises.

I had the car good and hot yesterday and could still hear it
Sponsored

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ok I understand.

I have other ticking noises from my engine, but not what you have. Leaving my car to second dealer tomorrow ...

Hope they can figure out what the issue you have is.

"Does it sound the same when not in quite mode? I have heard some rattle specially when cold when in quite mode on mine."
[MENTION=31616]Mazman[/MENTION]

I have over 3000km on it now; still rattles in all modes; I had put it in quiet mode so we could hear it better on the videos.
I took it out for a longer drive yesterday and its still noisy especially when you are parked next to a car/ in a garage where the walls amplify the noises.

I had the car good and hot yesterday and could still hear it

BigBoss5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP Premium
I have the same noise on start up. Always thought it could be the exhaust valves flapping on cold start in normal mode.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
My car makes this exact noise as well, but it seems to go away when the engine is warm. With the frequency that this noise is being reported, I'm beginning to believe (or at least hope) it's normal.

Please note, this is NOT the death rattle under load that has led to some 2018 owners needing new engines. I'm just talking about ticking sound at idle.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt 10r80
Having the same noise on my 18 gt auto. Started at 400 miles. Used to only do when cold but just had my first oil change today and now it’s doing it when hot. Embarrassing to even drive this car.

Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
If you replace the headers and put a tune on it, warranty is as good as gone.
Actually Ford just gave me a new short block because of metal in the oil pan. The car has a Lund flex tune, GT350 manifold, JLT/CAI, and LU47 injectors. Being he has the problem I would fix it first though. The warranty thing is a crapshoot.

JGonvardi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP CO
Does it get louder with time?
I’ve seen a couple of people whose bbq tick developed into a constant tap. One on an s197. Mine didn’t start making that noise until after 45k miles. I took it in the following day and the tech said it wasn’t normal. After looking into it he isolated the bbq tick to cylinder 3 and said the block needed to be replaced. Ford has approved a short block and I should have my car back soon.

Driversedge18

SPIRIT OF AMERICA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ECOBOOST PREMIUM
Vehicle Showcase
Cylinder 4 , piston slap found.

Sponsored

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Seems like they have been replacing more short blocks than shift forks.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
First of all the tick usually is not there from the start so it can’t be normal DI noise that just appears after an oil change. And make sure they give you 10 litres of oil and not 8! Don’t rev the engine dry like they want you to do after the oil is changed. I filled the filter and then screw it in and just start and stop the engine a few times to make sure it does not run a really dry start. Then let it run and then gun it for leaks. All that is just a precaution as some engines are really finicky that way. Apart from that there isn’t much you can do except wait and see.

Ford is being a jerk about this by not making an official statement about this issue. The fact they have not would worry me. Think about it from a liability standpoint.....

Cannonf150roush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harry
Vehicle(s)
F-150
My oil changed 2 days ago at 1300miles. And todayI realized in the parking lot when I was searching for a spot on 1st gear. when I stoped I was able to reproduce the sound at 1500-1700 rpm. clutch in out doesnt make any difference.
It sounds like it is coming from the passenger side of the engine but not able to really pinpoint. It might be coming from anywhere. clutch in or out doesnt make any difference. Here the videos how it sounds I added the time points where it ticks in video descriptions:
[ame]
[ame]

After a long research I learned that it is called BBQ ticking or type writer noise and I realized a lot 5.0 has been suffering from this issue with 3 different scenarios;
1. some belt tension issue
2. early oil change. some people claims that the car come with special oil (or oil additive) that eliminates this noise from the factory.
3. also people started have this issue after random oil changes.

I realized I might be having it because of an early oil change. I changed the oil at 1300 thinking that car manufactured on November 2017 and it's been almost 6 months sitting in the car... also some people was recommending oil change after 1000miles break in. also I had a track day at 1200. I though it would be good to have fresh oil in the car. :doh:

this video is not mine but I guess it captures the sound better than me. and mine is also sounds exactly same.
[ame]

I am gonna take it to the dealer on monday, but I afraid they will not hear it or they will say it is normal as usual :frusty:

Any suggestions?

Some people suggest that motorcraft xl 17 oil additive fixes it. But since there is no clear explanation that what motorcraft xl 17 does. so, I am not gonna put it in my motor. :shrug:

Edit: AC on or off doesnt matter
Edit2: I only have x-pipe resonator delete the rest is stock
Roush supercharged 5.0 requires 5/50 synthetic oil. Quieted down the tick in my F150
Sponsored