Sponsored

2018 Mustang Gt ticking noise

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
A member Bigriver has a video of the engine rap. My engine is doing exactly as the video. It is either rod or main bearings going bad. I cut my oil filter at 80 miles and found aluminum looking particles. I cut another filter at 800 miles and found copper looking particles. Ford uses tri metal bearings in these Coyote engines.W hen you are into the copper of the bearing, that engine is done. And short blocks are a waste of time as the copper particles probably scored the cam bearings and the phasers. My car is bone stock and never beat on.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Dang, that sounds horrible. Why would the main or rod bearings go out right after an oil change? It does sound like bad bearings ... doesn't sound like the typical BBQ tick.

Edit - I see back in Post #54 of this thread it sounded like your car was making the same basic noise back in June too. Maybe it's just getting worse as time goes on as the latest video sounds worse. If Ford tells you that is normal engine noises, they are blowing smoke.

Last edited:

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Me thinks that one took the "tick" to a whole new level.

I don't think an A/C belt tensioner is going to fix that one. Sorry to hear that.

HermanGerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Olaf
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 AT
Vehicle Showcase

Car has had its first oil change , Motorcraft oil , Motorcraft filter. Before this i had taken it to a second dealer that could not hear the noise, granted the noise seemed to come and go. Now i hear it more than ever.I have emailed my original sales guy to see if i can take it back to them to figure it out. For what its worth I kept the original filter and all of the original oil in a new container. I don't have a cutting tool for the filter........yet
I had the same noises. it was horrible every morning. I used cera tech and the ticking is gone.

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
You don't need a special cutting tool for the oil filter. That metal is soft sheet metal. Knock a hole in it with a hammer and screw driver and take a pair of cheap aviation snips, green and red ones, and bouble cut around the filter. I knock a hole in the bottom of the filter and let it sit on top of a mason jar to drain first. Then I'll cut it open on a piece of clean cardboard. Any left over oil will be absorbed by the cardboard and particles will be left.

Sponsored

GT6555

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2, Lightning Blue
2018 PP2 with 800 miles. No tick before first oil change, now I have it. Haven’t contacted dealer yet.

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Sorry to hear that. Mine did the identical thing with it's first oil change at 500 miles. I'm now approaching 6,000 miles and it's still there. Adding Ceratec with the next oil change. Good luck!

Primo562

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Primo
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt

Car has had its first oil change , Motorcraft oil , Motorcraft filter. Before this i had taken it to a second dealer that could not hear the noise, granted the noise seemed to come and go. Now i hear it more than ever.I have emailed my original sales guy to see if i can take it back to them to figure it out. For what its worth I kept the original filter and all of the original oil in a new container. I don't have a cutting tool for the filter........yet
Is it normal for it to sound like a diesel? That dun dun dun sound

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
Is it normal for it to sound like a diesel? That dun dun dun sound
For ford it s normal ther is a special note from ford about that. From gt owners no. I have 35 000 miles and mine does it since the begining or first oil change. I won t keep it for a long time and not other the warranty and i won t buy another one

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang

That sounds absolutely horrible. Someone at a Mustang show I went to this past summer had a car, I think it was a 2019 though, that sounded like yours. When he drove down the corral to find a spot to park/show his car, we were all wondering what was wrong with his car due to the awful sounds coming from the motor. Later on it turned into a group discussion and there were others whose cars had similar sounds and were battling Ford to either fix it or buy it back. A $50k flagship model should not sound anything like this . Ever.
I wish you well.

Sponsored

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack

orangefurygt

Does your 2018 GT Tick?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt Premium PP1 6sp /Active Exhaust/Nov17
Well its been a while and i did not update what happened on this thread.
The car ended up needing a new long block and this was replaced under warranty before the ticking TSB came out
back in March/April 2019
I have had 2 oil changes on the new motor. No tick no knock.....so far
I hope this engine stays strong. I don't see too many 2018's on the road around here so haven't had the chance to talk to any locals about how their cars are doing.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
The car ended up needing a new long block and this was replaced under warranty before the ticking TSB came out
back in March/April 2019
I hope this engine stays strong. I don't see too many 2018's on the road around here so haven't had the chance to talk to any locals about how their cars are doing.
Goes to show the BBQ tick is most likely a mechanical clearance issue.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
back in March/April 2019
Did they say exactly what was wrong with the engine?
Sponsored