orangefurygt

Does your 2018 GT Tick?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt Premium PP1 6sp /Active Exhaust/Nov17
Did they say exactly what was wrong with the engine?
The tech found a number of measurements out of spec and one cylinder was oval shaped instead of round. No exact diagnosis of what the ticking noise is though.
Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I wonder if they'd even give you a second of their time after the TSB came out. Remember that performance shop that explained how the 2018+ 5.0 cylinders were out of round and not parallel with each other?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Exactly. i was “lucky” The tech was meticulous with his measurements. Since then its been a different car to drive in terms of noise and confidence in the car.
That's interesting. What I want to know, is why the majority of engines that do get measurements done, don't seem to have anything out of spec, yet tick for no apparent reason?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
That's interesting. What I want to know, is why the majority of engines that do get measurements done, don't seem to have anything out of spec, yet tick for no apparent reason?
But did @orangefurygt know if his mechanic measured rod bid end side clearance or crank end play? :bandit:

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
But did @orangefurygt know if his mechanic measured rod bid end side clearance or crank end play? :bandit:
That's why I was asking what exactly did he measure, and how far out of spec was it?

Not to sound like the dealer/mechanic didn't do this, because we know dealers never take short cuts *cough* when getting reimbursed for an engine replacement.

I trust the guy who actually took his ticking engine apart, and posted all the pics right here on the forum to show us. I also trust the guy in the UK (YouTube) who had a 2017 GT, and spent gobs of money to have an "independent" master mechanic do measurements. None of these engines are out of spec. None of them burn oil.Yet, they tick like crazy. Just like mine....Ticks like crazy, no abnormal metal in filters, and doesn't burn a drop of oil. (Ok, maybe 3-4oz in 5,000 miles)

I can tell you right now, if OrangefuryGT's mechanic said the cylinders were "out of round" to the point of warranting an engine replacement, you WILL be burning a ton of oil, and suffering some notable blow by and fuel dilution of the oil in the pan.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Unfortunately this was one of the rare instances of an actual bad engine. The normal ticking we all get is oil cavitation, as confirmed by a Ford engineer who diagnosed the typewriter tick in a GT350. I think we should all stop worrying about the tick unless there is large amounts of metal in the filter, oil consumption, or driveability issues.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately this was one of the rare instances of an actual bad engine. The normal ticking we all get is oil cavitation, as confirmed by a Ford engineer who diagnosed the typewriter tick in a GT350. I think we should all stop worrying about the tick unless there is large amounts of metal in the filter, oil consumption, or driveability issues.
If it's actually oil cavitation, then over time that phenomenon can slowly erode journal bearings depending on the severity.

https://www.waukbearing.com/resources/bearing-damage-index/cavitation-erosion/

I still think it's mechanical clearance and oil friction related since the tick comes and goes with an oil change, or by adding a small amount of friction modifier like Ceratec.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
If it's actually oil cavitation, then over time that phenomenon can slowly erode journal bearings depending on the severity.

https://www.waukbearing.com/resources/bearing-damage-index/cavitation-erosion/

I still think it's mechanical clearance and oil friction related since the tick comes and goes with an oil change, or by adding a small amount of friction modifier like Ceratec.
The excessive clearance theory would suggest there are thousands upon thousands of engines with machined components out of tolerance, which I find extremely unlikely given the Coyote has been in production for 10 years now. A problem like that would have been corrected early on in the 5.0's lifecycle.

Ford engineer's diagnosis from a thread in the GT350 section:

I’m going to do my best to relay the info dealer told me. They tracked noise to cylinder 4 lower bearing. After the service manager spoke to a Ford engineer he said this completely normal and some car exhibit this and some not (just like 5.0 and some going back to 2011), but apparently this hasn’t been tracked to any catastrophic failures in the past or any premature wear. And it’s normal. Supposedly. But let’s be optimistic here. The way I understood what’s happening was that the bearings are supposed to have a layer of pressurized oil around the crank as a layer of protection from friction, and the noise we hearing is slight drop in the that pressure. Apparently it’s minuscule, e.g. correct pressure is 30psi and actual is 28 or 29 (not using realistic values here because he didn’t provide any).
Although this begs the question of how isn’t this going to lead to premature wear on the motor if the there is slightest amount of friction? Supposedly it’s more apparent with the a/c condenser running because slight oil pressure loss when the ac is running.
What is being described here is very mild oil cavitation. I highly doubt the slight difference in pressure is going to erode anything. That fact that there are 100k+ mile Coyotes with the tick still running strong is just more evidence it's a non issue.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The excessive clearance theory would suggest there are thousands upon thousands of engines with machined components out of tolerance, which I find extremely unlikely given the Coyote has been in production for 10 years now. A problem like that would have been corrected early on in the 5.0's lifecycle.
It does suggest that it's possible when manufacturing multi-thousands of engines that some have parts clearance stack-up that can cause some engine noises. And it's possible that some parts are on one end of the other of tolerance range when you have multi-lines of manufacturing machines making engine parts. We're talking about Ford here ... when have you ever seen them correct something in a timely manner?

What is being described here is very mild oil cavitation. I highly doubt the slight difference in pressure is going to erode anything. That fact that there are 100k+ mile Coyotes with the tick still running strong is just more evidence it's a non issue.
If the ticking noise is from cavitation, the each "tick" you hear is an air bubble imploding which can cause some potential damage. It's like little land mines going off inside the journal bearing. It might take many thousands of miles to slowly erode a bearing surface depending on the severity. Time will tell, and most guys won't be keeping a car for 100,000+ miles anyway.
Sponsored