Sponsored

2018 GT engine noise and destruction

Shenkey58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT FASTBACK PERFORMANCE PACK 6 SPEED-WHITE
Lets hear it folks-How many out there so far? Had noise -tapping-came and went-loss of power at times-Likely due to knock senser doing its job- 2 dealers said nothing wrong with it-Well it blew up-Have parts of a piston and oil all over the road.Likely dropped a valve to start all the destruction. Oh -Only 3000 miles on it.No mods-had oil change done at 1200 miles like a good owner-was done at Ford dealer. I am not that hard on the car -Hell nothing compared to other owners I have seen how they treat their Mustangs. Been in contact with Ford-They are very interested in seeing the car and getting this taken care of. They have mentioned replacing the car already.......
Sponsored

hawkbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium PP
hrrrmmm sounds familiar.... dealer says nothing wrong. welp, lol time will tell.

OP
OP

Shenkey58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT FASTBACK PERFORMANCE PACK 6 SPEED-WHITE
Hey Guys-Don't panic yet.So there was another problem like this reported? I am anxious to see the outcome on this-It is Mustang season here in the Northeast and I am not planning on being without a Mustang for the summer.I'm not very patient anyway. I will keep this updated.Seems like Ford is anxious to handle this also.

Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
5,500 miles on mine. First oil change last week. I drive it like I stole it. Several trips to the drag strip. Zero issues so far. I mean I drive it hard. One day in Mexico I got it to 155 mph. 120 mph on "closed roads" all of the time. Still running strong. Knock on wood.

I've always followed the manufacture recommended service intervals so never a break in oil change. Never have, never will. Have yet to blow one up. Fingers crossed. I've been doing my own oil changes since my first car 30 years ago.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
If a car explodes into pieces it is usually early on. Once you hit 20k-30k you are out of the manufacturing defect woods.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
5,500 miles on mine. First oil change last week. I drive it like I stole it. Several trips to the drag strip. Zero issues so far. I mean I drive it hard. One day in Mexico I got it to 155 mph. 120 mph on "closed roads" all of the time. Still running strong. Knock on wood.

I've always followed the manufacture recommended service intervals so never a break in oil change. Never have, never will. Have yet to blow one up. Fingers crossed. I've been doing my own oil changes since my first car 30 years ago.
thats the thing, 95+% wont have issues. If they did then theres a huge problem.

Sponsored

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
yeah thats about 7 total out of thousands shut the tent down this circus is over

I think it's a little more common than 7. I'm not worried about it. It's warrantied for another 59,500 miles. And, if it does blow up, it might be time to take a look at this.

picture.jpg

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT S/C PP2 - '15 GT PP - '18 GT
Mine ticked today for the first time at idle. Sounded like it was coming from the bottom end like everyone else's videos. My heart sank after hearing all the stories and hearing the same exact noise. Turned the car off and back on and it was gone.

I'm not going to let it effect me. I'm driving this thing until it explodes which if this tick is a sign of engine damage should be soon. 1500 miles 6 speed - car was built in April.

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Sorry to hear that. The more frustrating part is having to deal with Ford customer care and RAV dept if you get a replacement. There are many of us that have had to deal with them so please keep us posted and we can give you lots of tips along the way because they will not lift a finger to help you, despite what they say.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Lets hear it folks-How many out there so far? Had noise -tapping-came and went-loss of power at times-Likely due to knock senser doing its job- 2 dealers said nothing wrong with it-Well it blew up-Have parts of a piston and oil all over the road.Likely dropped a valve to start all the destruction. Oh -Only 3000 miles on it.No mods-had oil change done at 1200 miles like a good owner-was done at Ford dealer. I am not that hard on the car -Hell nothing compared to other owners I have seen how they treat their Mustangs. Been in contact with Ford-They are very interested in seeing the car and getting this taken care of. They have mentioned replacing the car already.......
Go here, you’ll find more 2018 GT owners in same boat:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=102

The issue is stemming from dropped valves. No one has confirmed if it’s an issue stemming from improper engine assembly line build with the heads or inferior parts being supplied to Ford.

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT S/C PP2 - '15 GT PP - '18 GT
Sorry to hear that. The more frustrating part is having to deal with Ford customer care and RAV dept if you get a replacement. There are many of us that have had to deal with them so please keep us posted and we can give you lots of tips along the way because they will not lift a finger to help you, despite what they say.
I'd rather just not deal with that whole process to be honest. I don't have time to take the car to 4 dealerships and play phone tag with ford customer service as they usher me into 5 different rental cars while they try to find an issue. If there's an issue, engine failure will occur soon and at that point they won't be able to give me the run around. Meanwhile the car is still pull strong so I'm going to enjoy it. Hopefully ford recalls or we find out its normal.
Sponsored