Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT Transmission Noise?

baja695

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
2018 Mustang GT, about 4,300 miles and I've been hearing this noise since day 1. It only happens when I'm in gear which leads me to believe that it's something on the drive line. 1st is the worst, but I can hear it all through 5th. I hear it right after I shift or if I hold around 2k RPMs, every time I touch the gas. Is this a "nature of the best" sound? I'm taking it in this weekend for the first oil change and I'm hoping I can recreate the noise when the tech is in the car; you can usually only hear it when it's reverberating off something.

In the video, you can hear it every time I hit the throttle. Right in the beginning, then around 5 seconds, again at 9, 14, and 19.

Sponsored

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Evo VIII RS, 2018 Mustang GT
Mine has the same sound. But mine also has the 'BBQ tick' and the shifting grind sound. Perfect storm for a lemon I would say.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I couldn't hear on these tiny speakers...driveline lash? Coming from the rear of the car?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
The noise you are likely hearing is normal. Steeda's 2018 Mustang does the same. My 2016 Mustang made similar noises until I changed to BG fluid. Likely nothing wrong. Unfortunately, despite rubber everywhere, the driveline on these cars somehow makes odd noises.

OP
OP

baja695

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Tried to get a better video. This is pulling away in first gear. Praying it's nothing crazy...I already had one Mustang with problems and I got rid of it so I didn't have to deal with the problems :headbonk:

[ame]

Sponsored

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Hopefully yours doesnt sound like mine.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
There's a certain at which you're just making things an issue that aren't, making them up in your head because your believing something is there that isn't.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
If you are talking about whirring gear noise, that appears to be normal. Mine has done it for a while now, mostly in 1st and 2nd. I couldn't hear much in your video.

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Evo VIII RS, 2018 Mustang GT
I can hear exactly the noise he is referring to only because I have it too. It's faint and it's hard to describe but it reminds me of leaves rustling. OP correct me if I am wrong.

Its not a whirl, its not a whine, its not even a grind sound.

Sponsored
OP
OP

baja695

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I can hear exactly the noise he is referring to only because I have it too. It's faint and it's hard to describe but it reminds me of leaves rustling. OP correct me if I am wrong.

Its not a whirl, its not a whine, its not even a grind sound.
Yes! Like leaves rustling; that's exactly it. I've taken my car to the dealership and we were unable to recreate the sound. After seeing the video, they recognized that there was a noise but could not take action without recreating the sound.

@youra6 - have you determined what this noise is? Is it an issue?

Ratfink53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium
Can any of this be something like direct injection, fuel pump? Is it coming from the motor or transmission?
This is my first mustang since I sold my 2004 GT. Just trying to learn from you guys.

BootyNugget

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP
MT-82. 'Nuff said. But seriously - mine also has this sort of "whine" when it's in certain gears. From my research, I'd say it's normal. The MT-82 just sucks. :-)

OP
OP

baja695

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Update:
The noise seemed to be getting more frequent and noticeable, so I decided to take the car in one more time to see what we can do.

I rode with a different technician who immediately recognized the noise and that it was an issue. Among conference with a few other techs, our best estimate is a bad throwout bearing which is causing the clutch to not fully engage/disengage.

The car has been in the shop for 2 days so far, and they have provided me with a loaner. I have also been assured that the fix will be covered under the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty.

More to come.

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Hopefully yours doesnt sound like mine.

What did they say was wrong with your car ? This is the same noise my car has had since 1'200 miles
Sponsored