GT350R

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
If you met the team there, Cameron, his brother and his father- you would know that answer is not only no, but HELL no! They took the care to cover the car with blue tape wait for light traffic and had their pickup drive in front of the car to keep anyone from getting close.

No, the nature of the failure at idle speed in a parking lot just sounds like it swallowed a valve after a valve spring or lifter broke... Never say never but I don’t see that happening as a result of abuse in only a few hundred miles. I think it simply was a bad part that broke.
Glad to hear that. No offense meant. Sounds like you got to know them well and they took good care of you and your ride. Just crazy that a hand-built engine should have an epic fail so soon. You should get the builder's name(s) off of the engine plaque and send it to Ford. Cheers and I hope things get resolved quickly.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Glad to hear that. No offense meant. Sounds like you got to know them well and they took good care of you and your ride. Just crazy that a hand-built engine should have an epic fail so soon. You should get the builder's name(s) off of the engine plaque and send it to Ford. Cheers and I hope things get resolved quickly.
That builder isn't going to be the problem and I'm sure Ford knows that, he/she only assembles it instead of some robot. All those parts on all engines are assembled to the required exact tolerances its going to some failure of the part/parts within the engine.

Hemi 300C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Chrysler 300C. 2017 Ford Edge Sport
So I'm going to start a new thread about my engine replacement experience here as things move along.

Most of you already saw my photo delivery blog thread where the engine died inside a parking garage in Santa Fe. Right now the car is at the dealer in Santa Fe, Capitol Ford. We will be flying back today to Portland and whenever the motor replacement is done we will come back and finish our journey.

So to recap the incidents in my first three days of ownership:

Delivery Day- 1/4 mile into my first drive, I have a check engine light and wrench warning on the display. Not knowing if it was serious or not I drove to my sales appointment in San Antonio and then back to the dealer. This of course aborted any break in process for the first 30 miles. During this time the motor seemed fine but I couldn't run the AC- so it was in somewhat of a soft limp mode. Dealer diagnosed the issue (which was not very easy) as a cut wire harness that rubbed against the serpentine belt. Took until the next day to repair- everything seemed OK and I started my trip home to Portland.

Day Two- Next 70 miles up and down the rev range from 3K to 7K (never redline, never full throttle approx 70%) until I reached 100 miles. A while latter did a full throttle acceleration, but very low traction with the cold temperature and again did not take to redline- maybe 7500 RPM. Then most of the next two days was highway cruising at 60- 85 MPH.

Day Three in Santa Fe backing up a ramp in a parking garage the engine stumbled, died, turned over on the starter but wouldn't start one time, then after the starter would not turn the motor. We thought it was electrical but in reality the motor was seized. Diagnosis by the dealer- #6 cylinder spark plug damage engine is seized, need a new one.

IMG_5943.jpg

Now:

I called Ford Performance tech line after first calling Ford Customer Service and getting a call center in the Philippines. The tech there was very helpful and told me to work with the service dealer and dealer in San Antonio to open a case for me to discuss all the issues regarding my warranty claims. Hopefully Monday I will talk to a Zone Rep for Ford.

Right away I am looking for:
1) A rental during the repair
2) Compensation for travel expenses. So far two trip delays (my wife's trip delay meeting me in Albuqurque plus our flights home is about $1000
3) I would like an extended warranty on the motor when this is all done.

I have seen some videos about others that have received the extended warranty so I would expect that to work out. As far as the travel expenses I don't know. Rental is a no brainer.

I'll update here as it progresses, anyone with experience on this is welcome to chime in!

Sponsored

Hemi 300C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Chrysler 300C. 2017 Ford Edge Sport
My then new 2017 Edge Sport had a steering issue at delivery. My dealership ignored it saying it was normal for the Edge Sport, but stated they would contact Ford for assistance. My follow-up call to Ford found the dealership never contacted Ford corporate. Ford customer service ask me to take it to another dealership where a loaner was waiting. Ford technicians came to the dealership and after 10 days the problem was found and corrected. It seems another dealership where this car was obtained had changed a defective airbag and reinstalled the steering assembly incorrectly. Unlike FCA customer service (a story for another time). Ford's customer service was prompt with follow-up and after the car was repaired and returned. They added a free additional 3 year, 75,000 miles extended warranty. This was offered without my asking. Now, 32,000 miles later and my Edge has been fantastic and trouble free. I know it's aggravating purchasing a new car with immediate service issues, but hopefully you'll experience the same customer service I did with your GT350. Being Ford's Halo car. I'm sure you will along with receiving that free extended warranty you mentioned. If it's not offered upfront. Simple ask. My experience with Ford's customer service has been outstanding unlike the dealerships service department.

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
Sox3 said It's not the complete vin but last 8 are matching“ I read where the owner was negotiating with ford for the original broken engine to keep for either future originality or parts/or? I’m thinking if it’s reasonable for some to buy it back ad someday it could be built again with correction and upgrades? Does anyone know if you can ??

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
You cannot buy the engine back when its replaced.....it gets smelted back down probably.

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
Not the builders fault If it's a defective part.[/QUO
Not blaming the builder but he/she should know when an engine fails in such a short period. Many things could have happened and the builder should at least be notified. Root cause analysis needs to be done and as much learned as possible. If I had built that one I would like to know about the catastrophic failure. I'm sure the builders of these exotic engines take pride in their work.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Not blaming the builder but he/she should know when an engine fails in such a short period. Many things could have happened and the builder should at least be notified. Root cause analysis needs to be done and as much learned as possible. If I had built that one I would like to know about the catastrophic failure. I'm sure the builders of these exotic engines take pride in their work.
I hope your right but another perspective would be maybe they wouldn't want to know for fear Ford might try to dump the problem with something they may have done wrong even though they didn't. Obviously Ford knows the builder of every engine that goes bad. And just maybe not want the builder to know because they trust there builders and don't want any of them to feel any remorse as what if they didn't do something right. And I'm sure those builders know of engines going bad and don't give it another thought. Were talking precision engine builders that are well qualified to put these engines together.

Sponsored

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
I hope your right but another perspective would be maybe they wouldn't want to know for fear Ford might try to dump the problem with something they may have done wrong even though they didn't. Obviously Ford knows the builder of every engine that goes bad. And just maybe not want the builder to know because they trust there builders and don't want any of them to feel any remorse as what if they didn't do something right. And I'm sure those builders know of engines going bad and don't give it another thought. Were talking precision engine builders that are well qualified to put these engines together.
I've built airplanes for the better part of 25 years. No way any real Craftsman wouldn't want to know immediately if there was a mistake. My experience also tells me that some suit up the chain cheaped out on a process trying to get his black belt for Lean Six Sigma or some bullshit and made an inferior product because they've never built jack squat in their entire lives. Ford is going down hill I hate to say, specifically because of stuff like this. Everyone wants CUVs and trucks, they could care less about the dying breed of "car guys" that are left.

The Bossman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss Laguna, 2015 Lincoln MKZ, 2019 Flex, 1987 f150, 1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible
Sorry to hear about your trouble. Hope Ford will make it right for you. Regardless, it'll hurts for a while.
This is an unfortunate thing to happen. It could be a manufacturing defect, it could be driver error. What I mean is an accidental downshift by the driver at higher rpms let's say in 3rd gear to second gear extremely overrevving the engine.

BVA254

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6-Sold, 2021 GT Premium -on order
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope it works out the best for you. Near me is a dealer that specializes in selling Ford factory buy back vehicles. He always has a dozen or more Mustangs of all configurations, GT350's, Shelby's, Bullitt-847 miles on this one! on the lot. Some have less than 1000 miles other 10-15K, but all have had some type of major issue resulting in a buy back by Ford. They then get repaired "supposedly" and have a door tag attached as a buy back vehicle. You can check out their dealership. Orleans Ford in NY. .If you read the vehicle listing they will show as Reacquired Vehicles

Jo3f1sh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
This is an unfortunate thing to happen. It could be a manufacturing defect, it could be driver error. What I mean is an accidental downshift by the driver at higher rpms let's say in 3rd gear to second gear extremely overrevving the engine.
He was literally backing up in a parking garage at 1 mph when the engine failed.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Read OP's post before quoting incorrectly. And FYI you can't "extremely overrevving" the engine - there's a cutoff switch in software to prevent this.
Sponsored

Last edited: