Sponsored

2020 Shelby GT350 Engine Replacement (Dropped Valve)

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
You should reach out to Ford and let them know your availability status, I’m sure they’d love your experience and expertise in this time of need.

At least Ford is taking care of it's customers.

I'd like to know the percentage of coyote vs voodoo engines that have valve train failures.

hypothesis means needs further investigation.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
WTF???

I've solved many engineering problems over the years.

I'm too old and broke down for Ford to hire me, but they might want to steal my Son from Cummins.

Last edited:

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
WTF???

I'm too old for Ford to hire me, but they might want to steal my Son from Cummings.
No sure, didn’t you say that your son told you that he only care about the engine making it through the warranty period ????
If so, not my type of engineer...

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Nobody is to old to be useful, especially if they have knowledge.

WTF???

I'm too old and broke down for Ford to hire me, but they might want to steal my Son from Cummins.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
No sure, didn’t you say that your son told you that he only care about the engine making it through the warranty period ????
If so, not my type of engineer...
Thats all the manufacturer cares about.

If it needs to last 6000 hours they don't care if it self destructs at 6001 or at 60,001

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Nobody is to old to be useful, especially if they have knowledge.
It's not worth it anymore. Too many book smart people who have no hands on experience. Then when the thing we say will happen, and they say cannot, happens.....

SHTF

and the factory is shut down for hours and sometimes days.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
WTF???

Depends. If your son engineered the CP4 to replace the CP3 then Ford doesn't need him.

mindo389

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 50th AY Appearance Pkg.
Vehicle Showcase
this is what you perpetuate when you break out your shade tree engineering degrees. You have this guy convinced that there are "know valve issues".
Gee dude: it was a joke. Why don't you smile once in a while.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Gee dude: it was a joke. Why don't you smile once in a while.
Hard to tell these days - I was specifically addressing the generalization that it was a "known valve issue". If it was a joke, yes it was lost on me - sorry.

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
It sucks when it happens to be your car and I can't imagine anyone not feeling sorry for a new owner having major engine failure.
This has been said many times, the web is a vehicle to vent, but it does not change the fact that to build cars that never fail would make them crazy expensive.
Sorry didn't take time to read the entire post, but I hope you get everything resolved. In my experience with Ford they will take care of you and your state laws do impact what they will do. Here in Colorado that pushed Ford to buy back my 17 and I got a 19.

Sponsored

Brmiller49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Good Evening,

I am posting in regards to my 2020 GT350 which I purchased brand new in October 2020. Background information: I am mechanically inclined with 2 years of automotive schooling and more years tinkering and building previous mustangs.

After finally deciding to buy a GT350 (especially since this is the last production year) my GT350 is currently receiving an engine replacement. I have had the car since October, followed the break in procedures specifically laid out in the Mustang Supplement guide. The car currently has 1047 Miles and has never seen over 7500RPM's.

While driving the vehicle, at about 30MPH I lost all power and the car began throwing CEL's and rapidly producing a loud metal on metal knocking sound. With just enough time to get off an off ramp the car stalled. I had the car towed to the local Ford dealership and contacted the Ford Hotline the same day. I had already knew the engine would need a replacement and the dealer confirmed this the next day when they pulled the spark plug on Cylinder #8 and saw damage. After a full DIAG it was confirmed that the car had dropped a valve and it would need a complete engine replacement.

After contacting the Ford Hotline I informed them that I would be pursuing a buyback or full vehicle replacement as it is completely unacceptable to have paid the amount of money that I did for this car, to only have it blow a motor before I even make my second payment on the car. I was contacted by the Regional Customer Service manager who opened a case and informed me that a good faith review would need to take place prior to any decisions about a vehicle buy back being done. The car has been at the dealership for roughly 9 business days and the new engine has just arrived. I had a follow up with the regional customer service rep today who just informed me that the good faith review was finished and that they had denied the request.

I am certain this is due to the fact that it technically has not met the state lemon law requirements for Massachusetts. Although one provision of the law states that if the vehicle is under repair for 15 business days then it will automatically fall into the lemon category.

I am hoping by posting this I will maybe gain some information from others who are or were in a similar situation with their GT350's. I am very frustrated with the entire situation and do not feel that an engine replacement is fair at all considering the value you lose off the car once it is done. Especially since to some buyers, having a numbers matching car is a big deal, I understand other buyers may not care about the numbers. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
We bought our GT350 in Feb of this year. Our engine seized at 206 miles. We were devastated. Could not believe this could happen to a car like this! This was our bucket list car!
We had it towed to the dealer, they looked at it and said it was a rocker arm failure. The gave us a new engine and the dealership offered to buy it back after the repair. Then COVID-19 hit and they stopped talking to us. With the new engine, we decided to keep it. Just seeing the car is a blast and driving it is an event! People come up to the car to talk about it and take pictures! We get cheers and thumbs up as we drive! The car is at 1400 miles now with no problems.
I understand your frustration, but we are happy that we kept it!

418F7352-3474-4AAF-9DDD-1E802B33CA26.jpeg

ebdbDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Good Evening,

I am posting in regards to my 2020 GT350 which I purchased brand new in October 2020. Background information: I am mechanically inclined with 2 years of automotive schooling and more years tinkering and building previous mustangs.

After finally deciding to buy a GT350 (especially since this is the last production year) my GT350 is currently receiving an engine replacement. I have had the car since October, followed the break in procedures specifically laid out in the Mustang Supplement guide. The car currently has 1047 Miles and has never seen over 7500RPM's.

While driving the vehicle, at about 30MPH I lost all power and the car began throwing CEL's and rapidly producing a loud metal on metal knocking sound. With just enough time to get off an off ramp the car stalled. I had the car towed to the local Ford dealership and contacted the Ford Hotline the same day. I had already knew the engine would need a replacement and the dealer confirmed this the next day when they pulled the spark plug on Cylinder #8 and saw damage. After a full DIAG it was confirmed that the car had dropped a valve and it would need a complete engine replacement.

After contacting the Ford Hotline I informed them that I would be pursuing a buyback or full vehicle replacement as it is completely unacceptable to have paid the amount of money that I did for this car, to only have it blow a motor before I even make my second payment on the car. I was contacted by the Regional Customer Service manager who opened a case and informed me that a good faith review would need to take place prior to any decisions about a vehicle buy back being done. The car has been at the dealership for roughly 9 business days and the new engine has just arrived. I had a follow up with the regional customer service rep today who just informed me that the good faith review was finished and that they had denied the request.

I am certain this is due to the fact that it technically has not met the state lemon law requirements for Massachusetts. Although one provision of the law states that if the vehicle is under repair for 15 business days then it will automatically fall into the lemon category.

I am hoping by posting this I will maybe gain some information from others who are or were in a similar situation with their GT350's. I am very frustrated with the entire situation and do not feel that an engine replacement is fair at all considering the value you lose off the car once it is done. Especially since to some buyers, having a numbers matching car is a big deal, I understand other buyers may not care about the numbers. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
All I can add is, if it takes them, in California, more than 30 days in the first year to fix the problem, you can lemon it. TBH, if that happened to me Id do the same. Ive had two GTRs, and the first one was effectively lemoned for its transmission. about two years ago I had to fully lemon an alfa romeo (cliche, i know). I love porsches but even they are not perfect either. wouldnt stop me from buying another porsche though.
Sponsored