2020 New Voodoo Big Booboo- Engine Replacement Experience

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
Hey Andre, not trying to accuse anyone but is there any chance that the guys at the PPF shop took a ride to see what 8250 RPM feels like? Wouldn't be the first time a joy ride was taken by a shop.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Montoya

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Sorry to hear about all this..How many days have you even had the car?? I’d would be demanding a buyback if I were in your shoes...
Well technically I took delivery on 2/17 so the car could be picked up by the detailer. They drove about 12 miles to their shop. Picked the car up the following Tuesday at the detailer. Took it back to the dealer for repair that day. Drove out on Wed morning and it died on Thursday afternoon.

Hmm. Ford covered my travel expenses when I was stranded 400 miles from where I lived. This was 8 years ago though and I had a premiumcare warranty
Well I have it on my list, so it’s good to know it’s been taken care of in the past.

One of the toughest parts of this whole scenario is the added cost of Paint Protection Film and Ceramic on a brand new car. I've seen a couple of guys have unfortunate events like this and struggled between engine replacement and whole car replacement because the detailing was not going to be reimbursed. Best wishes to you that everything turns out ok and you can start enjoying the car. You had a fantastic road trip planned and it didn't go the way you wanted it to for sure, but there will be better days ahead. That color is stunning by the way...can't stop looking at the pictures.
Yes, but worst than the money already invested as noted is that what happens when you get your money back? You don’t get a replacement car from Ford or one that you can order. You have to shop again for the car you want and who knows if you can find or order it.

Honestly, I don’t want to get any more specific regarding my planned negotiation with Ford as it could come back against me.

As far as news, no news today. Picked up a rental. Thanks for all the sympathy guys, but really this is first world problems!

OP
OP
Montoya

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Hey Andre, not trying to accuse anyone but is there any chance that the guys at the PPF shop took a ride to see what 8250 RPM feels like? Wouldn't be the first time a joy ride was taken by a shop.
If you met the team there, Cameron, his brother and his father- you would know that answer is not only no, but HELL no! They took the care to cover the car with blue tape wait for light traffic and had their pickup drive in front of the car to keep anyone from getting close.

No, the nature of the failure at idle speed in a parking lot just sounds like it swallowed a valve after a valve spring or lifter broke... Never say never but I don’t see that happening as a result of abuse in only a few hundred miles. I think it simply was a bad part that broke.

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
So I'm going to start a new thread about my engine replacement experience here as things move along.

Most of you already saw my photo delivery blog thread where the engine died inside a parking garage in Santa Fe. Right now the car is at the dealer in Santa Fe, Capitol Ford. We will be flying back today to Portland and whenever the motor replacement is done we will come back and finish our journey.

So to recap the incidents in my first three days of ownership:

Delivery Day- 1/4 mile into my first drive, I have a check engine light and wrench warning on the display. Not knowing if it was serious or not I drove to my sales appointment in San Antonio and then back to the dealer. This of course aborted any break in process for the first 30 miles. During this time the motor seemed fine but I couldn't run the AC- so it was in somewhat of a soft limp mode. Dealer diagnosed the issue (which was not very easy) as a cut wire harness that rubbed against the serpentine belt. Took until the next day to repair- everything seemed OK and I started my trip home to Portland.

Day Two- Next 70 miles up and down the rev range from 3K to 7K (never redline, never full throttle approx 70%) until I reached 100 miles. A while latter did a full throttle acceleration, but very low traction with the cold temperature and again did not take to redline- maybe 7500 RPM. Then most of the next two days was highway cruising at 60- 85 MPH.

Day Three in Santa Fe backing up a ramp in a parking garage the engine stumbled, died, turned over on the starter but wouldn't start one time, then after the starter would not turn the motor. We thought it was electrical but in reality the motor was seized. Diagnosis by the dealer- #6 cylinder spark plug damage engine is seized, need a new one.

IMG_5943.jpg

Now:

I called Ford Performance tech line after first calling Ford Customer Service and getting a call center in the Philippines. The tech there was very helpful and told me to work with the service dealer and dealer in San Antonio to open a case for me to discuss all the issues regarding my warranty claims. Hopefully Monday I will talk to a Zone Rep for Ford.

Right away I am looking for:
1) A rental during the repair
2) Compensation for travel expenses. So far two trip delays (my wife's trip delay meeting me in Albuqurque plus our flights home is about $1000
3) I would like an extended warranty on the motor when this is all done.

I have seen some videos about others that have received the extended warranty so I would expect that to work out. As far as the travel expenses I don't know. Rental is a no brainer.

I'll update here as it progresses, anyone with experience on this is welcome to chime in!
Could the same thing possibly happen twice:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2020-shelby-gt350-engine-failure.133081/

Mikefd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2004 mystichrome cobra, 20 twister orange350R
Well this makes me change up my whole game plan.... was planning on trailering mine home (apx 3 hour drive) I’m thinking I might drive it home now just to be safe)

Sponsored

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
As a past 2000 cobra R owner and now a 16 GT350R owner I believe that these engines have tolerances and special materials for high performance stresses; noisy until warm and my good friend owning a trans am race team tells me never go below 2000 RPM as it’s bad for our flat plane crank ;( lugging below 2000 rpm) there’s a previous post here about having a numbers matching car? There is no Vin number on these engines to match and the only engines that did have the numbers was strictly for warranty purposes like my 66 GT350 and early bosses! I am thinking that The supplier of some of the materials is now compromised somehow; as compared to the first Two years of GT 350s only had six engine failures; Through either cost cutting or failure or machinery as it wears to make parts exact , And I am confident that Ford will find out the reasons and correct it . and make it better ! as the history of high-performance Fords is they build a high-performance vehicle until it breaks and then correct that part ! and then they find out the next item that breaks and make that part for better for strength and on ! So this replacement engine is not a reman it’s going to be a brand new engine with the newest parts I feel confident that you will have a fantastic vehicle because of it !

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
there’s a previous post here about having a numbers matching car? There is no Vin number on these engines to match and the only engines that did have the numbers was strictly for warranty purposes like my 66 GT350 and early bosses!
It's not the complete vin but last 8 are matching.

20191028_082907.jpg
20190522_190327.jpg

Last edited:

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
How many people buying these used are looking for numbers matching parts? I mean this is not some rare vintage car, Ford has made a ton of these cars (probably 20K and counting).

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
How many people buying these used are looking for numbers matching parts? I mean this is not some rare vintage car, Ford has made a ton of these cars (probably 20K and counting).
20K GT350s are kind of limited production if you take in consideration the world population now stands at 7.8 billion inhabitants and 328 million in US alone. Please note, these numbers are before coronavirus :-)

20mustang16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave Deluca
Vehicle(s)
2019. Mustang gt pp2 D.O.A. LEMON
Believe me Ford will screw you out of something on this they had my 19 gt pp2 for 120 days and put 500 miles on it trying to figure out what was wrong with it , i took it in with 150 miles on it for multiple issues , they ended up getting me for $4000.00 after the buy back They lost me as a customer ill never go back either thanks for nothing!

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Not to mention there will be far more of these available 20 years down the road, in pristine condition, versus some truly rare 1960s equivalent that nobody thought or cared to preserve when new....

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
20K GT350s are kind of limited production if you take in consideration the world population now stands at 7.8 billion inhabitants and 328 million in US alone. Please note, these numbers are before coronavirus :-)
Ha. True, but in the world of limited production collectors cars the GT350 is not really fitting the profile. I can see some buyers being scared of a car that has low miles on it's second engine (if it shows up on the Carfax or is somehow disclosed) but these cars just depreciate. It's supply and demand.

Once Ford stops making them and the supply diminishes we may see depreciation slow down but I don't buy that because the car had a replacement engine and it's still under warranty that you would get a a huge hit on trade in or private sale. I think the big hits people are seeing is just the fact that these cars depreciate. I know some people paid ADM and dealers lured people in with the whole "limited run, high demand" spiel, but Ford keeps building them.

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
Hey Mike. Where are you getting your car from?
My last Vette was a 6 hour drive home from New Hampshire.
Great opportunity to break in the car.

Mikefd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2004 mystichrome cobra, 20 twister orange350R
PA going to Keller brothers , then back to NY

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
Hey Mike. Where are you getting your car from?
My last Vette was a 6 hour drive home from New Hampshire.
Great opportunity to break in the car.
My first drive in my MY2018 was from Lebanon OH to WI, 508 miles roughly. Changed the oil when I got home and now 8k plus miles, so far so good.
Sponsored