Sponsored

The Typewriter Tick/Engine Issues Correlation.

If you have The Typewriter Tick, have you had any other issues? Or has is gotten louder over time?

• Total voters

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Okay, we know lots of people have ticks, and lots don't. So far we really haven't seen anything that "The Typewriter Tick" (not the 2K rattle) necessarily causes an issues. is the side effect of an issue, or people are just finding OTHER issues due to having their tick checked out.

This is a simple poll. If you have The Tick, have you had any other issues? This includes the tick getting louder, or ANYTHING else out of the ordinary related to your engine.

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE TICK PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND.
Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Had the clutch replaced at 3,000 miles. Also have the 2k rattle. BBQ tick started somewhere between 500-800 miles. At 3,400 I added Ceratec, and tick is gone for now. 2k rattle still annoying but I don't think it's related to the BBQ tick.

BOBS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Auto Race Red
2019 build date 12/20/18 delivered to dealer with 3.7 miles sound normal during test drive, not driven over 2500 rpms yet. First heard the Typewriter tick at 51 miles now at 387 and car runs great noise sometimes at or above idle. Not to happy about it but our 2015 had it and our 2017 so just going to break it in then have some fun. Tic Tic Tic

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
I had the tick, from the first few hundred miles. I added some ceratec and it went away, haven't heard it in a long time. Unfortunately, at 4800 miles, mine is getting a short block due to the "knock", which upon inspection revealed itself to be scoring on in cylinders, as pictured. There knock started around 800 miles and got progressively worse. It occurs off idle to about 2800 rpm.
16005.jpeg

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Confused. Is your "knock" the same as the 2-3k rattle?

Sponsored

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
That's something way more than just a BBQ tick.
Agreed, but, I had the bbq tick. I think the aim here is determining whether the tick and "other issues" are related. Ceratec got rid of it, but didn't touch the rattle/knock, which is now about to be a new short block. For the record, the two do not seem to be related, in my opinion. The tick seemed higher in the engine. The knock is definitely from the cylinder area.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
It could be piston slap like the common theory suggests. Some maybe worse than others. I don't think the rattle is inherently bad, especially if it's just piston slap. But then you'll have one piston or bore that's just a bit too off. The rattle never went away on my old block (no scoring, though), and the rattle goes away after 5-10 minutes of driving on the new one, for an example.

What I think may be happening is that some engines that are a little bit more loose just don't warm up enough to tighten things up before the oil. So that 5w20 oil will then thin out too much to adequately protect against the piston slap.

Using the argument that "hypereutectic pistons should never slap" doesn't work here. That applied to iron sleeves, but the new spray on liners just flip things around. I also have no idea how much aluminum to silicon is used, which has an impact on expansion. In a lot of cases, these engines may genuinely need a good hard run for things to tighten up enough.

Designing an engine like this just seems like absolute hell from an engineering perspective. There's going to be a clear way to do it, but now you have to cater to corporate demands that want cheaper parts, less viscous oil for fuel economy, and testing that demands this engine won't blow up when the average shmoe jumps in and floors it from a cold start. Then, say, maybe you pull it off. Maybe you have done the math and have come up with the perfect set up, and things should be smooth. It just requires absolute precision, and everything just falls apart again because corporate prioritizes production numbers over quality assembly. So now all these issues start cropping up, corporate comes to you asking wtf happened, and you're just sitting there ready to put your head through a wall.

All the above assuming this is piston slap and not something to do with the cam phasers or whatever.

Sponsored

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
I am 99% sure this is what my 2k RPM rattle sounded like when revving the engine in neutral.
I don't doubt it, mine is getting a short block right now, scoring in the cylinders. Mine was getting louder and, in my opinion, was more of a knocking sound. To me, a the term "rattle" is doing the noise a disservice. It sounds like something is about to go horribly wrong.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
2019 build date 12/20/18 delivered to dealer with 3.7 miles sound normal during test drive, not driven over 2500 rpms yet. First heard the Typewriter tick at 51 miles now at 387 and car runs great noise sometimes at or above idle. Not to happy about it but our 2015 had it and our 2017 so just going to break it in then have some fun. Tic Tic Tic
So your other stangs had the tick and drove A-OK right?
Sponsored