Sponsored

Joining the club of the BBQ/Typewriter tick

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
Another boron additive option is archoil 9100. Thats what i use, 1.2oz per quart of oil. It does not discolor the oil. First learned about it years ago watching leno's garage.
Does Archoil 9100 quiet the ticking noise?

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
Does Archoil 9100 quiet the ticking noise?
It worked on mine. On my 2nd dealer oil change now. Got the tick after the first. Added archoil and went to my first trackday. Never heard it again. Tick came back intermittently after my 2nd oil change so i added archoil again and havent heard it since.

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
It worked on mine. On my 2nd dealer oil change now. Got the tick after the first. Added archoil and went to my first trackday. Never heard it again. Tick came back intermittently after my 2nd oil change so i added archoil again and havent heard it since.
How much do you add to full oil? Do you add it every oil change?

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Iconic Silver
I've only had the bbq tick the first 2-3 weeks after each oil change, and have since gone away.

Sponsored

OP
OP
holaz50

holaz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP
Thank you all!! I hate being a perfectionist... that tick was driving me insane. It seems to be quieting down but I'm most than positive that I will throw 75-100ml of Ceratec.

I was just watching this ridiculous video and gave me cringe to think that my Mustang sounds like that piece of crap fake Toretto is driving lmao.

Thank you YouTube algorithm for hating my life!!

EDIT: AND after posting I see Toretto posted. This is hilarious. Leaving that a side, I cant believe after all this bullshit I'm already thinking about buying a GT4 Dark horse.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
That being said, in a capitalistic market we need to have competition. We need manufacturers to go above and beyond to create better products thus generating more sales and competitive pricing, and create even more competition. Manufacturers win and we, as customers, win.
I have owned tons of performance cars over the years from all different brands. Most of them suffer from some type of weak point or problem. Not giving Ford a excuse but I still think the 5.0L is a solid product when compared to other engines on the market. I won`t touch any modern GM V8 with all that new emissions technology they jammed in them. Dodge might still offer a decent engine but they are going away next year.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I second the ceratec. I ran it in my gen 3 coyote f150. Still on the factory fill on my Mustang. I will run pennzoil ultra platinum 5w30 and ceratec on each change just like my f150 which ran 100k flawlessly. Oh I also got a Borla cat back which keeps the strange noises from being noticed 😁

sphinx

Mr. Whipple
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
67 Mustang GT Fastback
Sounds like my TL1000R

There is a third choice ... therapy

Sponsored

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
So question - on a full fresh oil fill, does adding 12oz of that stuff cause any sort of "over full" condition?
Yes, so you have to pull out what you put in. Either drop the plug and let some out, or pull it out of the dipstick tube with a pump. Same would apply to other additives depending on what volume you would consider overfill.

AntiBlue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt
I hate to be posting this but here I am. 2021 Mustang GT PP. Tick started day after second oil change.
-Bought brand new with 20 miles from the dealership.
-First oil change done at 3500 miles. Oil used was Motorcraft 5W-20 FS.
-Second oil change done at 8800 miles. Oil used was Motorcraft 5W-30FS.
-Day after oil change typewriter tick started.
-Tick only happens when car warms up. This tells me that when oil is cold thus more dense/thicker, helps getting rid of the tick. When oil warms up (thins down) the tick appears.

Took it back to the dealership and they said is the typewriter tick and Ford states is "normal".

Just a bit of a rant here: I get it Ford assures us that nothing will happen to our vehicles, but to me, if it did not come with the car is not normal. I paid close to 60k for this car and it really hurts me to see it making that funky noise. Don't get me wrong, I love the car, and maybe this is the reason why I hate that ticking so much. Until that last oil change I kept reminding myself how much fun this car is, how good it looks and kept telling myself that I was going to keep it for several years... not anymore. I can't live with that sound.

Another thing it really bothers me is how much this will affect the resale value of my car. I mean, I wouldn't buy a car that makes that ticking noise.
I would love to find a solution to this so I can go back to enjoy my car, but from the hours I spent reading this forum, there is no concrete one.
I will give it a good 3-5 months to see if it disappears, if not, I'm completely done with Ford in general.
I hope this goes away by itself. I would hate to finish my story with Mustangs this way, being one of my most beloved cars ever.

P.S: FU Ford.

Same just got my oil changed today 3.8k miles , bought it new & I drove a while after the oil change , had dinner and as I got home later that night at idle the tick just appeared .

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
I will be using Total Quartz Ineo EcoB* 5W-20 with Ford WSS-M2C 948-B specification for the scheduled oil change in two weeks (is the oil specification for the 2020 EU GT/Bullitt).
The oil is known to have a higher boron content and is supposed to dampen noise just as well as adding expensive additives when using "lawn mower oil" (Ford fills in Castrol oil in the shops over here).

However, the boron content of the factory filling is even higher than that of any oil according to specifications for the engine that can be purchased over the counter (oil analyzes have shown this).
It is possible that I will still have to add the additive.

(*This oil was previously named Total Quartz 9000 Future EcoB 2W-20)

Last edited:

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
I vote Therapy as well :crackup:

Or give me the car. I will happily take the new mustang!
Sponsored