Sponsored

Typewriter tick

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
^^^ Yes, you need to be very careful with everything you read on the internet. Including my post here as well. But, it is a bit of food for thought. I do believe the OP, because my Mechanic at the dealer who looked at these pics also gave me a similar answer. There is in fact a Ford Certified Technicians online forum they only have access to, where they talk about issues with Ford engineers and other technicians. Just like our open public forum, only theirs is private, and actually run by FoMoCo. Even my mechanic told me they do in fact know quite well about this ticking noise, and they are searching for ways to deaden the sound, but so far don't believe it is a problem that will cause imminent engine failure, or even affect its longevity.

Now for the Coyote, the tick could be the same as the Powerstroke oil film issue, or possibly piston slap, which is what I think is the latter in our case. Piston slap occurs in basically every engine. They only question is how much, and whether or not it will be occurring in such a way that it becomes audible. And, just because it may be audible does not mean it is to the point of absolutely causing excessive damage. The problem, is that in these high performance engines that have enormous rev ranges and power band widths, their is an enormous amount of block expansion and contraction from temperature changes over its whole range of operation. Because of this, slightly more tolerance needs to be given for components operating without eating themselves. That slight bit of extra tolerance for larger performance ranges may lead to more audible noises from various sources. In this case, I think it's minor piston slap.

Have any of you guys in here ever heard a muffled exhaust NASCAR V8? Sometimes they will muffle them after doing rebuilds, to hear the engine better. Well, I heard one once, when I was a teenager. It was the clankiest, noisiest thing I'd ever heard. The guy said "Yep, runnin" like a Champ."

Now, on another note, here's an older TSB about the 6.7L Powerstrokes that tend to have a similar (or possibly exact same) noise. Now of course, these are diesels, but remember that the new 5.0L Coyote does have a higher 12:1 compression ratio approaching diesel levels.

https://www.hotshotsecret.com/diagn...lletins-tsb/powerstroke-6-7-idle-ticktap-tsb/

Powerstroke typewriter videos.

Sponsored

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 2015 Black GT Fully Loaded (Sold) Now: 2020 GT500 (Current)
The new Duramax L5P has a tap sound mine does it sounds exactly like the coyote bottom end tap literally sounds like metal on metal. My tuner found out that its due to GM advancing 12.7* of timing to certain cylinders while others have low timing. GM now has an upgraded calibration that completely removes the knock/tap after I took mine to the dealer they flashed the computer and now its gone.

Also GM stated in a TSB back in 2003 I believe that the Duramax typewriter tick is from microscopic air bubbles in the oil exploding between the crankshaft and main bearings/rod bearings which causes the noise.
l5p tapping.jpg

NastyPumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Boosted Mustang GT
Also GM stated in a TSB back in 2003 I believe that the Duramax typewriter tick is from microscopic air bubbles in the oil exploding between the crankshaft and main bearings/rod bearings which causes the noise.
That is exactly what Ford Drivetrain Engineering told me, that is what the tick is in the Mustang 2011 - 2019. They have been working on different designs with the bearings to stop it from happening. It all depends on engine build stack-up, why some do & don't.

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Watch this lol it sounds exactly the same and even sounds like metal on metal! My Duramax did it for 260k miles before I built the engine, and it was flawless. Bearings looked amazing, piston walls looked, amazing crosshatching still there, and everything! We have a couple duramaxes on the yard that don't do it but others that do and its 100% normal hundreds of thousands of them do it! It all has to do with some trucks having more issue with air bubbles exploding between bearings. GM said nothing to worry about and it seems that was as guys go 100s of thousands of miles no issue and them making that noise.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
That is exactly what Ford Drivetrain Engineering told me, that is what the tick is in the Mustang 2011 - 2019. They have been working on different designs with the bearings to stop it from happening. It all depends on engine build stack-up, why some do & don't.
and probably why it goes away when you thicken the oil with ceratec or xl-17

Sponsored

NastyPumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Boosted Mustang GT
and probably why it goes away when you thicken the oil with ceratec or xl-17
Correct! They told me that different oil weights, carbon black, can correct it. Ceratec works great, my opinion...

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Correct! They told me that different oil weights, carbon black, can correct it. Ceratec works great, my opinion...
I still think the cylinder scorning from piston slap is a separate issue that Ford DOES need to address. But I can almost guarantee the BBQ Tick is a non-issue on all 2011-19 coyote engines.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I cannot see how tea spoon of carbon black eliminates the tick while all different types and viscosities of oils people here tried do not.

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used Ceratec and installed an A/C belt tension arm in mine. Almost all ticking and engine noise gone.
Have you scoped yours just to see if there’s any cylinder damage?

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Have you scoped yours just to see if there’s any cylinder damage?
No, I haven't. I have opened and inspected my oil filters, and actually strained all 10qts of oil last change through some fine cloth. I only found a few super tiny flea sized flakes (like 5 or 6), which is normal for a new engine. Even the oil was brown, but transparent. I was quite surprised how good it looked for a new engine in the process of breaking in.

I may ask them to scope it though, since it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
No, I haven't. I have opened and inspected my oil filters, and actually strained all 10qts of oil last change through some fine cloth. I only found a few super tiny flea sized flakes (like 5 or 6), which is normal for a new engine. Even the oil was brown, but transparent. I was quite surprised how good it looked for a new engine in the process of breaking in.

I may ask them to scope it though, since it certainly wouldn't hurt.
Ceratec seems to be the current fix, i was curious about the PowerUp version. i am debating on doing the blackstone testing with my next oil change.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
When someone that works at a ford dealer can post that internal memo online and I can see it with my own eyes, I will start believing otherwise.
Seems the "men in black" have been visiting all the dealerships, because I sure haven't seen any real report of clearance measurements taken and reported by anybody.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV