Sponsored

The "how to disable the data link to Ford" thread

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I read this whole thread, now I've come back ,and haven't read all 330 posts a second time.

My question is, if one disconnects the module in the trunk, does the data not get stored, or is it stored somewhere else and only transmitted through the module? My concern is if you disconnected the module, could the data be accessed by a 3rd party through another means, say taking the car to the dealer for warranty work, or if they reconnect the module, would all the data then be transmitted?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I read this whole thread, now I've come back ,and haven't read all 330 posts a second time.

My question is, if one disconnects the module in the trunk, does the data not get stored, or is it stored somewhere else and only transmitted through the module? My concern is if you disconnected the module, could the data be accessed by a 3rd party through another means, say taking the car to the dealer for warranty work, or if they reconnect the module, would all the data then be transmitted?
I don't know and im not sure it it is possible to know the answer to that question, unless you happen to be an engineer on the project for Ford.

I don't think there is an infinite data storage device for this purpose and the buffer is probably only large enough to cover temporary gaps in cellular signal. I am not saying with certainty, but my money is on the fact that Ford expects this system to work as advertised and therefore, it would be reasonable to say that there isn't a large storage device to record your data over a long period of time and dump it all every time you drop your car at a dealer. Ford isn't going to spend any more on a system than they have to.

Reactions: JT1

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
Hi folks,
Crazy thread! So I made it through 18 pages. :-)
My goal is to wrap my white roof black, and I have a goofy shark fin. Iā€™m also not interested in BigBrother watching over me. From what I understand, I can buy this used eBay black puck and use it, after swapping the shark fin connector? Simple as that right? :-)
Thanks!
Oh, Iā€™m a 2020 GT Prem if that matters.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/293811698769

57A0FB46-D1CE-485E-91F5-02D02E9B41D2.png

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Hi folks,
Crazy thread! So I made it through 18 pages. :-)
My goal is to wrap my white roof black, and I have a goofy shark fin. Iā€™m also not interested in BigBrother watching over me. From what I understand, I can buy this used eBay black puck and use it, after swapping the shark fin connector? Simple as that right? :-)
Thanks!
Oh, Iā€™m a 2020 GT Prem if that matters.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/293811698769

57A0FB46-D1CE-485E-91F5-02D02E9B41D2.png
Yes, it is that simple. Read my other thread on the subject matter, and no, not a crazy thread..... very real.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Hello folks,

I've read this topic with much interest, being an IT guy myself I hate the extent of what data collection has become.
I want to give my .02 and share some observations.

I wanted to check the TCU status (the "modem") when all the connectivity options are disabled in Sync:
IMG_0589.JPG

Here what I can see from ForScan: the TCU is not connected to any GMS network.
1669150948674.png

So for the sake of data transmission it's just sufficient to toggle the "Vehicle connectivity" switch to have the TCU stop any transmission.
Probably Ford for legal reasons need you to acknowledge this transmission, and without your consent or some "moral suasion" from your dealer cannot oblige you to connect to the mobile network (my dealer tried to trick me in activating the FordPass).

I wanted to investigate the TCU_AUTHSTATE flag and I can tell it changes from "Wait For Authorize" to "Authorized Mode" when activated in FordPass.
The 222 Country Code equals to Italy and the 10 Network Identity is Omnitel.
1669151453782.png

As you already know you gain some more options in Sync once activated.
1669151605614.jpeg

The system fully comes back to "Wait to Authorize" if you remove the vehicle from FordPass and disconnects from the GSM network if you flip the "Vehicle connectivity" back to OFF.
Mine will be staying off and I know that my data are not shared now that I have hard evidence that the car is not connecting to a mobile network without my consent.

I understand those of you who wants to physically disconnect the modules or the antennas but for me it's overkill.

Sponsored

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
I have to make some more testing, yesterday was a bit in a hurry, but I have to check if a Master Reset does something different.
Because Ford Europe mentions it's mandatory if you want to fully deauthorize.

Anyway,
  1. Remove car from FordPass
  2. Master Reset
  3. Ensure toggles are ALL OFF
Is all you want done.
If you have ForScan you can verify by reading the TCU status. Never trust, always verify, especially things that are invisible.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
Will this disable the 911 call in case of a heavy accident? It might be useful when you crash in the middle of nowhere (due to high speed)... :blush:

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
No, that uses the bluetooth connection and your phone to dial.
Are you sure about this?
I'm positive here in the EU the eCall is mandatory and it must use its own connection.

I remember in Sync it asks me to define two emergency contacts that I think calls via Bluetooth, but the eCall I guess it's a different system (which I assume it goes via the TCU).

Sponsored

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
Are you sure about this?
I'm positive here in the EU the eCall is mandatory and it must use its own connection.

I remember in Sync it asks me to define two emergency contacts that I think calls via Bluetooth, but the eCall I guess it's a different system (which I assume it goes via the TCU).

SO. At least in here in the states the emergency call is going though the car its self. I know this because when I was rear ended on the highway in my 2017 Mustang, the car made an emergency call where my phone did not - because i disabled those settings in my phone thinking I wouldn't need them šŸ˜¬ and ignorant that my car had such a feature.

I suppose, I would rather my phone track that stuff than the car though.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
SO. At least in here in the states the emergency call is going though the car its self. I know this because when I was rear ended on the highway in my 2017 Mustang, the car made an emergency call where my phone did not - because i disabled those settings in my phone thinking I wouldn't need them šŸ˜¬ and ignorant that my car had such a feature.

That's why I didn't want to disconnect the TCU or cut its power.
If you do as I did in my post, you disable the sending of the data without killing the eCall system.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Are you sure it didn't use your phone? I didn't think S550s had their own phone connection until '18 or later.

But I would expect a car with its own phone connection would use it for 911 simply because the car would certainly have greater range. Car has room for a lot better antenna than a cell phone does.

Last edited:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Are you sure about this?
Yes, I'm sure. All Ford vehicles use the phone connected via BT for 911 (or 112 in EU) calls, since the first generation of Sync, ten years or so ago. Only a few of them have the TCU, only since 2019 or thereabouts.
And it's not mandatory. Not all new cars have it. Besides, if it were mandatory it wouldn't let us disable it. But it does, and it never reactivates automatically like other safety features do.

Last edited:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
At least in here in the states the emergency call is going though the car its self. I know this because when I was rear ended on the highway in my 2017 Mustang, the car made an emergency call where my phone did not - because i disabled those settings in my phone thinking I wouldn't need them šŸ˜¬ and ignorant that my car had such a feature.
I'm positive that call went through your phone. Back in 2017 there was no modem installed.
The emergency settings of the phone are irrelevant in this case. Sync made the call the same way it would have made any other call. It told the phone "dial 911", just like it would tell it "dial 555-8884732" when you used the touch screen to call a friend. Even if emergency calls were disabled in the phone, the phone treated this as a direct dial command and blindly obeyed it.
Sponsored