The "how to disable the data link to Ford" thread

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Yes, I'm sure. All Ford vehicles use the phone connected via BT for 911 (or 112 in EU) calls, since the first generation of Sync, ten years or so ago. Only a few of them have the TCU, only since 2019 or thereabouts.
And it's not mandatory. Not all new cars have it. Besides, if it were mandatory it wouldn't let us disable it. But it does, and it never reactivates automatically like other safety features do.
I insist that the system is mandatory on every vehicle built after 31 March 2018: Automated emergency calling (eCall) now mandatory on new car models – ETSC.
And it does require an on-board SIM. This at least in the EU.
That the Sync will make another call via Bluetooth, is possible.
But as far as the homologation to the EU laws, the system must be present.

Edit: I guess this is how the currently totalitarian European Community will limit our freedom once again: "This will facilitate the introduction of future safety systems such as Intelligent Speed Assistance, which can use GPS to locate speed limits on digital maps, and could use the GSM connection to download regular map updates."

The disablement you can do in Sync only affects the fact that the TCU will not connect to Ford to transmit data, not that the TCU will not connect to the GMS network to call the emergency.
I'm afraid the only way I have to prove the last sentence is to crash the car (while connected with ForScan to monitor it), but that I would possibly avoid. :crackup:
Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The disablement you can do in Sync only affects the fact that the TCU will not connect to Ford to transmit data, not that the TCU will not connect to the GMS network to call the emergency.
I'm not talking about disabling data transmission to Ford via the TCU, which makes the subject of this thread. I'm talking about a separate option, which is specifically about emergency calling. It's an independent tile on the Sync 3 main settings screen.

Edit: I've found a photo.

babaf048-5b94-461e-935b-2fc6adc7ca3f.png

In EU vehicles it's called "Emergency Assist" rather than "911 assist". And of course, it dials 112 instead of 911. But it's the same thing. It's completely independent of FordPass Connect and the TCU, and has been present long before the TCU was introduced.
You can turn it off, and it will stay off.

Last edited:

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Do you leave your cell phone at home , when you go for a drive?
If not, it don't matter, the phone knows your speed and how, when, where, you did that romp, or high speed turn.
or went from 0-120 . you get the point. Only difference is google is collecting it. or if you have an i-phone both google and apple are collecting it.
So, again are you leaving your cell phone at home?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Do you leave your cell phone at home , when you go for a drive?
If not, it don't matter, the phone knows your speed and how, when, where, you did that romp, or high speed turn.
It's less about location and speed and more so about the vehicle telematics that are being recorded from the PCM in case of a warranty claim. Pretty sure Ford can't subpoena your phone records to get info about your location or speed, but they can easily get vehicle telematics and possibly use those against you in said warranty claim.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
So, again are you leaving your cell phone at home?
I get the point, but there are a couple of exceptions to it:
  1. All my apps have location tracking disabled, unless it's a navigator, and I use just one (TomTom).
  2. Because I use some paid services that knows my location because of their inner functioning (the nav) it does not mean that I endorse a culture of obsessive tracking and selling my personal information.

Sponsored

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
It's less about location and speed and more so about the vehicle telematics that are being recorded from the PCM in case of a warranty claim. Pretty sure Ford can't subpoena your phone records to get info about your location or speed, but they can easily get vehicle telematics and possibly use those against you in said warranty claim.
Maybe, but I highly doubt it. The data is more to see what customers want ,need out of the next update, generation .
AND where that model tends to sell in higher numbers, to push harder in those markets and allocate more units to that region .
Oh, and not fer nothing. Who you think google and apple sell that type data to?
You might have a point, IF the vehicle it self could not record the data for the dealership tech, or warranty manger to hook a scan tool to and review it , Because if that data is or can be past on to the app on a phone, the cars computers can and most likely is logging it all.
Somewhat makes not wanting the app because of big brother type ideals a moot point , if the tech or rep. can hook to a ob-II port and read/review it anyways

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Somewhat makes not wanting the app because of big brother type ideals a moot point , if the tech or rep. can hook to a ob-II port and read/review it anyways
Except that this is not how it works.
The tech can surely see the data logged into the variuos ECUs (as everybody that can use ForScan can), but the ECU have extremely limited amount of memory, and rest assured they don't really do any logging at all. At maximum they have a few freeze frames or counters for DTCs.
The APIM or TCU themselves does not have enough storage to log anything meaningful expect a few internal data. And the kind of data that are sent by the TCU are useful only if a live stream.

Nobody cares that six months ago you took that ramp at a certain speed, they need to know you are doing it now.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Except that this is not how it works.
The tech can surely see the data logged into the variuos ECUs (as everybody that can use ForScan can), but the ECU have extremely limited amount of memory, and rest assured they don't really do any logging at all. At maximum they have a few freeze frames or counters for DTCs.
The APIM or TCU themselves does not have enough storage to log anything meaningful expect a few internal data. And the kind of data that are sent by the TCU are useful only if a live stream.

Nobody cares that six months ago you took that ramp at a certain speed, they need to know you are doing it now.
Can forscan, read the black box?

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Can forscan, read the black box?
Which black box are you talking about?
The TCU is not a black box, nor is the APIM or ECM.

There is a sort of "black box" that is the EDR (Event Data Recorder) that's usually integrated into the firmware of the RCM (Restraints Control Module) but that's only to record the speed of an impact and some other data.
Nothing to invade your privacy / or logging extensively.

There is nowhere in the car so much storage to keep anything substancial logged.

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Maybe, but I highly doubt it. The data is more to see what customers want ,need out of the next update, generation .
AND where that model tends to sell in higher numbers, to push harder in those markets and allocate more units to that region .
Oh, and not fer nothing. Who you think google and apple sell that type data to?
You might have a point, IF the vehicle it self could not record the data for the dealership tech, or warranty manger to hook a scan tool to and review it , Because if that data is or can be past on to the app on a phone, the cars computers can and most likely is logging it all.
I'm glad someone else gets it. Reading these posts seems like some people believe there is a guy in an office at Ford watching your every move with the warranty department and your insurance company on speed dial. Sure, Ford is selling bulk generic data, but they are not handing out data with your VIN/personal info attached to it without your knowledge and consent. That wouldn't be a good look for a manufacturer. As of 22MY, very little data is being logged/stored onboard of Ford cars/trucks. For diagnostic purposes, I sometimes wish this vehicle data was as readily available as some believe it is.

Sponsored

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Hello folks,

I've read this topic with much interest, being an IT guy myself I hate the extent of what data collection has become.
I want to give my .02 and share some observations.

I wanted to check the TCU status (the "modem") when all the connectivity options are disabled in Sync:
IMG_0589.JPG

Here what I can see from ForScan: the TCU is not connected to any GMS network.
1669150948674.png

So for the sake of data transmission it's just sufficient to toggle the "Vehicle connectivity" switch to have the TCU stop any transmission.
Probably Ford for legal reasons need you to acknowledge this transmission, and without your consent or some "moral suasion" from your dealer cannot oblige you to connect to the mobile network (my dealer tried to trick me in activating the FordPass).

I wanted to investigate the TCU_AUTHSTATE flag and I can tell it changes from "Wait For Authorize" to "Authorized Mode" when activated in FordPass.
The 222 Country Code equals to Italy and the 10 Network Identity is Omnitel.
1669151453782.png

As you already know you gain some more options in Sync once activated.
1669151605614.jpeg

The system fully comes back to "Wait to Authorize" if you remove the vehicle from FordPass and disconnects from the GSM network if you flip the "Vehicle connectivity" back to OFF.
Mine will be staying off and I know that my data are not shared now that I have hard evidence that the car is not connecting to a mobile network without my consent.

I understand those of you who wants to physically disconnect the modules or the antennas but for me it's overkill.
Our screens look different. I wonder if it still applies

20221127_195117.jpg

First Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach1
I’ve recently started to read the owners manual pdf and am shocked at the new telematics/black box tech. Im glad I Chanced upon this thread. When I ordered my 23 M1, they specifically removed wifi on the build sheet and even issued a credit. Dealer says its due to chip shortage. Its now abundantly clear why. Nevertheless I will do my due diligence and double check my systems upon delivery. Good to know early where I stand on the FordPass. Second best thing Ive done since deciding on a Mustang is joining this forum. Thanks to everyone!

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Our screens look different. I wonder if it still applies

20221127_195117.jpg
No, it is not.
If you re-read my post you will see that what you posted is the screen AFTER FordPass is activated.
To fully come back to de-authorized in the TCU you must:
  1. Remove your vehicle from FordPass
  2. Do a Master Reset
  3. Now you will get the "simplified screen" with just two options. At this time the the TCU is de-authorized.
    1. If you want the car to stop connecting to the GSM network altogether, toggle the "Vehicle connectivity" switch to OFF from the simplified screen.
  4. If you want you can delete your FordPass account (and App), it's completely useless now.

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
No, it is not.
If you re-read my post you will see that what you posted is the screen AFTER FordPass is activated.
  2. Do a Master Reset
  3. Now you will get the "simplified screen" with just two options. At this time the the TCU is de-authorized.
    1. If you want the car to stop connecting to the GSM network altogether, toggle the "Vehicle connectivity" switch to OFF from the simplified screen.
  4. If you want you can delete your FordPass account (and App), it's completely useless now.
Ohh ok, my bad. I will delete the app today & try again. Thank you!

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
No, it is not.
  2. Do a Master Reset
Now one last question. To do a master reset do I just unplug the battery on the vehicle for 10-15 minutes? Or is it something I do through the screen menu? Thank you!
Sponsored