GT_350

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Shelby GT350 Track Pack
Hello :sunglasses:

I was at the racetrack in Monza last week and had some thermal problems.
Oil and differential temperature have become very high.

On all the trackdays I've been to so far, I've never had big temperature problems.
It may well be that Monza is a bit different. The track is called "The Temple Of Speed".
You have 4x very fast sections! I have never had that on any other race track until now.
To get an idea:

-Segment 1: 155 mph --> braking to 34 mph
-Segment 2: 136 mph --> braking to 50 mph
-Segment 3: 140 mph --> braking to 64 mph
-Segment 4: 143 mph --> braking to 65 mph

Video:

The oil temperature after 4-5 laps was already at 278 °F.
Diefferential temperature up to 291 °F.
(Weather was 86-90 °F).

Is it possible that the GT350 heats up so much after a few laps with warm weather and so many high speed segments?
I also noticed that the temperature of the differential did not drop much even with 3-4 "cool down" laps, only about 50 °F.

I got the "wrench warning light" on the display after some time.
However, I don't know if it was because of the high temperatures (oil & differential) or because my clutch was slowly at the end.
After the display message, i went to the pit-lane and turn off the car. I tried to read the error code, but it didn't show any.
Later I started the car again, but the message did not come up.

(The clutch needs to be changed. It no longer "grips" properly and has been smelling in the last few laps.
Has 37'300 miles, and will be changed next).

Car:
Engine Mods: JLT CAI with adapted software

display.jpg
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Is it possible that the GT350 heats up so much after a few laps with warm weather and so many high speed segments?
Unfortunately yes. You have a high revving engine and when pushed hard it will heat up. As much as it's made out to be a "track" car, it's still very much a street car it track capabilities and will overheat when driven hard.

Your solution would be to upgrade the cooling components separately, or not wind it out so much aka short shifting.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Maybe a stupid question. :crazy:
But are there cooling upgrades for the GT350 track pack?
Yes, the OEM pieces are not the end all be all when it comes to track cooling. You can supplement those with more coolers too so that you don't lose what's already engineered.

The cooling upgrades are not direct replacement, you'd have to buy the kits or fab them up yourself. Proper venting of the hood and boxing in of the coolers will also help.

Check out TrackMustangsOnline, lots of GT350s there with modded cooling systems.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Wasn't the differential cooling system upgraded with 2019 models? I recall hearing how the 2016's, even with the track pack, weren't so good at keeping tempertures down.

Sponsored

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Damn! I would love to run some of those European tracks with the GT350. One day I will ship my car over for a couple of months and do a track tour.

The 278 engine oil temp seems relatively normal for track use at those ambient temperatures. It is not high enough to trigger any warning lights.

It is almost certainly your differential temps that threw the alarm. Check your differential fluid levels. Perhaps they are low or your cooling pump is not working properly.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Wasn't the differential cooling system upgraded with 2019 models? I recall hearing how the 2016's, even with the track pack, weren't so good at keeping tempertures down.
No and no. Same GT350/R diff cooling parts from MY2015 to MY2020. Same cooling parts still in use without modifications on the 2020+ GT500.

If the OP's diff is getting that hot, his diff cooling system isn't working.

OP
OP
GT_350

GT_350

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
@matthewr87
But you also have cool race tracks in america :sunglasses:

Yes, I think the same about the oil temperature.
I had that on hot days on other trackdays, but not already after 4-5 rounds
But Monza is a bit different than other racetracks. :crazy:
I don't know any track where you drive 4x over 137 mph in 1 round.

A stupid question, has the stock GT350 differential cooling its own pump?
Unfortunately, I don't know much about this.

When the clutch is replaced, the mechanic will check the rest and definitely change the differential oil.
However, it would be helpful if I can already give the mechanic some good inputs, what he would have to check. (regarding differential)

That's the disadvantage of driving a US car in Europe, here the workshops don't have much experience with US cars, especially not with Shelbys :giggle:

Thanks already for your help guys !
And sorry for my bad English.:blush:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I just wish you hadn't done all the slo mo stuff in the video.

The pump in the diff cooler is the first thing I'd check.

Good luck.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
@matthewr87
But you also have cool race tracks in america :sunglasses:

Yes, I think the same about the oil temperature.
I had that on hot days on other trackdays, but not already after 4-5 rounds
But Monza is a bit different than other racetracks. :crazy:
I don't know any track where you drive 4x over 137 mph in 1 round.

A stupid question, has the stock GT350 differential cooling its own pump?
Unfortunately, I don't know much about this.

When the clutch is replaced, the mechanic will check the rest and definitely change the differential oil.
However, it would be helpful if I can already give the mechanic some good inputs, what he would have to check. (regarding differential)

That's the disadvantage of driving a US car in Europe, here the workshops don't have much experience with US cars, especially not with Shelbys :giggle:

Thanks already for your help guys !
And sorry for my bad English.:blush:
Yeah there are cool tracks in the USA but the grass is always greener on the other side as they say :giggle:

If your mechanic has access to forscan they can try to run the pump through that utility. That is what you are supposed to do when changing the differential fluid to pump out any air from the lines.

Checking the fluid level is the first step though. Should be 9 mm below the opening of the drain hole. If the fluid is low that might explain the high temps.

Sponsored

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
@matthewr87

You are right about that :crackup:

I will forward it to my mechanic. :thumbsup:

I have now watched 3 different videos regarding differential oil change, but nowhere they have activated the pump to change the fluid.
Is this described in the instructions?
Yeah the Youtubers do not bother running the pump but it is in the official service manual.

Attachments

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
@matthewr87

You are right about that :crackup:

I will forward it to my mechanic. :thumbsup:

I have now watched 3 different videos regarding differential oil change, but nowhere they have activated the pump to change the fluid.
Is this described in the instructions?
I've only watched one YouTube video on changing the diff oil in a GT350 and the presenter did a brilliant job showing people how to do it wrong. You can get the factory instructions online from Ford at MotorcraftService.com. For $USD22 you can get a 72 hour license to the entire OASIS system the dealers use, including wiring diagrams and service procedures.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
@matthewr87
I also have these. I do not speak English very well, but can that be that nowhere something is described about a pump for the vent? Or am I blind? :crazy:

@JAJ
I have the complete DVD manual from Ford :thumbsup:
At the very bottom of the PDF attachment in the post above, it says:

"If equipped with a differential cooler, operate the differential cooler pump with a scan tool for two minutes and top off differential fluid."

You can run the pump with Forscan or another scan tool. IIRC, the PID is "R_DIFF_PUMP" and it's a controllable ECU PID. Just make sure when you're done that the level is 9mm below the bottom of the fill plug. Too full and it'll leak.
Sponsored