Sound Tube Delete/Work Around

BaileytheDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT Convertible, PP1
I was reading the threads about the sound tube delete. To see if I like the change, could I just disconnect it at the engine side and plug that for now?
Eventually I might want it gone, but for now I wanted to try it.
IMG_7108.jpeg
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Technically, yes you can. The end of the tube will likely bounce around a bit under the hood if itā€™s not tied down or connected to anything though. If you have a ratcheting 10mm wrench, itā€™s fairly simple to get the firewall nut off. Itā€™s a tight fight if you have big hands/forearms but itā€™s doable. I gave mine a tug and it slipped right over the nut so I didnā€™t have to reach in there (the tube itself was not damaged so I could put it back in if I wanted).

Highvolts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, 1965 Mustang 289
I was reading the threads about the sound tube delete. To see if I like the change, could I just disconnect it at the engine side and plug that for now?
Eventually I might want it gone, but for now I wanted to try it.
IMG_7108.jpeg
I did exactly that for a week and decided it wasn't worth the effort to remove the whole thing and the $20 for the "delete" kit.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I went whole hog and deleted altogether. Main reason for me is the actual sound "machine" thing is right by the dipstick and with the strut tower brace it makes it almost impossible to check the oil unless you have long skinny fingers, I have big ole meat hooks :) . I removed the sound tube and the engine cover both. Now I can actually get to the dipstick to check the oil regularly :)

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
You can disconnect from the cold air tube like you pictured and also at the check valve right by the strut tower. Then you wont have a loose tube bouncing around the engine compartment, and if you leave the check valve in place, you won't have an open hole right into the cabin. That's what I did on mine until I decided I liked it better with out the sound tube.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BaileytheDog

BaileytheDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT Convertible, PP1
I actually do not have big hands and still could. Or get at the dip stick! One reason to get rid of it.

I went whole hog and deleted altogether. Main reason for me is the actual sound "machine" thing is right by the dipstick and with the strut tower brace it makes it almost impossible to check the oil unless you have long skinny fingers, I have big ole meat hooks :) . I removed the sound tube and the engine cover both. Now I can actually get to the dipstick to check the oil regularly :)

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid
I did exactly that for a week and decided it wasn't worth the effort to remove the whole thing and the $20 for the "delete" kit.
I did the same. I'm very pleased with the result. Less cabin noise, but you can still hear the exhaust and the sound is behind you as it should be.

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
You don't even need to worry about the nut if you want to pull it out of the firewall, just pull it hard and it comes out, then get a plug for the firewall... I picked one up at advanced for a couple bucks.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
You mean, you guys didnā€™t install an irrigation valve inline so you could connect and disconnect it with a twist of the wrist? Yeah thats a possibility. I couldnt tell much difference after that test so I pulled it and have never looked back.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
The sound tube got silenced today, but no test drive yet so donā€™t ask how much of a difference it made ... lol

I plugged mine in a slightly different way to the normal ā€˜rip it outā€™ method as I wanted to keep the OE look :

87-A19779-CF8-A-46-E5-98-A1-D2-E90341-BC51.jpg

40276-C34-0551-4288-90-AF-04-CFEA45-EFB1.jpg

Everything went back together and it looks completely ā€˜normalā€™ :like:

WD :like:
WD :like:

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Thatā€™s a cool idea for those that want to retain the stock look! I thought it looked to cluttered so I was happy to take it out. Still looks like a bit of a rats nest in there but a little better šŸ˜Ž

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Try GoFundMe?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Ford sells just the firewall plug for like $7. Get some OD measurements (@WD Pro has them in his 2020 post that he linked above) and go to the hardware store and get a cap and clamp for the intake. You can probably find a firewall cap at the hardware store for less $$ too. It took me less than 5 minutes to do the delete. LMR sells a complete kit for around $20 if you donā€™t want to mess with getting measurements

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
Ticks me off that Ford made the S650 engine look 100x better. The sound tube is part of the plastic and hose throw up that the engine looks like.

Cyberbill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium Gt Convertible
I took mine out and cabin is quiet now, Just remember to plug the hole wherever you take it out otherwise you will receive a good Asphyxiationā€¦ which is not good.
Grandpa Bill
Sponsored