corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
No matter how intertwined you try and make sound and power, they are not that hard to separate and people still enjoy the engine sound in a sporty car. I just don't see your point. People like to hear that engine. Period. Regardless of its relation to power, there is nothing wrong with enjoying the sound of an engine.
What I'm (still) trying to say is that the sound implies something about power because traditionally more powerful engines make more sound.

Flip side time, if more sound meant you had less power, would you still appreciate it as much? I have my doubts.

Also, the existence of hardcore cars does not make modern drivers spoiled.
If you don't think that you could drive such a car for most anything you could use a 7th gen Corvette for, I guess you just wouldn't understand . . .

At this point, I guess we have to agree to disagree.
Fair enough. Apparently our ages and automotive backgrounds differ too widely.

Norm

xfyre101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`15 CO PP GT
For me it had nothing to do with weight.

I want the car to be as quiet as possible.

Took out the sound tube but can't really tell any difference.
There might be some difference if compared side by side.
you bought a V8 muscle car be as quiet as possible? :headbonk::shrug:

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Because you're not a real enthusiast until you delete the casual-user's sound tube. Make sure to put "Sound Tube Deleted" on your vehicle info plaque at the car shows.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I came to the decision to remove the sound tube over a period of time. At first, I liked it due to the well-insulated interior and quiet mufflers. Gave me some more sound on acceleration but nice and quiet for touring on a long trip, which I have done exactly ONCE. But, it did not yield things that only an exhaust can like the lovely roar on accel, decel burbles, and the deep idle with a decent volume. It is a sensory experience that makes a sound tube seem like what it is: a cheap imitation of the real thing. The sound tube doesn't make the car seem like more than it is, instead it poorly represents what you should hear from a performance car.

Sponsored

partyelmarty

What's it trap?
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Magnetic Metallic
Remove it. Simple as that. Is a removable piece that many people enjoy leaving in place worth posting a complaint over on the internet? I don't think so.
It's been removed for a long time now. You have no clue what I've done to my car so why such a bad attitude?

chadmclark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Just removed mine. Kind of a bitch ... never could reach the bolt on the firewall so just yanked and the rubber grommet slid over the bolt. :-)

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I'm not quite sure how it poorly represents what you hear from your car. You Are hearing the intake sound of your engine. You are hearing the suction and sound from the valves through the runners and the effects of all 8 cylinders working through the plastic intake manifold (which does dampen some noise vs aluminum) through the tb and intake ducting. It's actual sound from your engine . It may be cheap to other but to me it's great. I just wish they had thought of a better way then having a contorted anaconda in the engine bay to get the sound in. I'm considering modifying it somehow and putting it back in just to test it out. I'm sure the steeda filter and airbox will amplify the noise to a degree. The issue I have is the firewall and insulation is so much better than years or generations past it's just so dam quiet inside the car. I do like my corsa cat back , but I realize now that for the few days before I did the intake install the car sounded way better with the tube in. To each his own.

The bolt was easy for me with the stock airbox removed .. I leaned over the front .. Put my arm along and above the headers .. 1/4 drive and 10 mm deep socket. I was loosening from say 8 o clock to about 4-5 o clock . Took about 5-10 mins but came off easy.

LHousePhoto

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lhousephotography.com
First Name
Lane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT Premium - Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Rodster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT premium pp
Being new to Mustangs, but not to sound tubes(had one on my MINI Cooper S-which I removed), it disappeared only because it was a "minorcas"_-as my brother calls Rube Goldberg type items. Any abatement in sound caused by its removal was more than made up for by the Roush catback mufflers I put on.
Certainly the sound tube does no harm-I just like the cleaner look without it. I might point out that I have been a GM/ Studebaker/British Leyland fancier but love the new Mustang.

abie915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP, '16 EB PP
I disconnected the sound tube and stuffed a rag into it. I drove around for a couple of days like this and could not tell the difference, so I'm not sure why some people seem to hate it so much \_(ツ)_/¯ I do have Borla S types though so perhaps they're overpowering the sound tube.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I disconnected the sound tube and stuffed a rag into it. I drove around for a couple of days like this and could not tell the difference, so I'm not sure why some people seem to hate it so much \_(ツ)_/¯ I do have Borla S types though so perhaps they're overpowering the sound tube.
I did that, plugged/taped off both ends of it and threw a CEL within an hour. Popped the hood and the sound tube, disconnected from the air intake and completely covered, had some kind of vacuum effect, the tube was collapsed on itself.
Removing the tape from the sound tube gave a hissing pressure release.
I reconnected it to the CAI and will keep driving and see if the CEL resets. If not I'll pull the battery overnight.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I did that, plugged/taped off both ends of it and threw a CEL within an hour. Popped the hood and the sound tube, disconnected from the air intake and completely covered, had some kind of vacuum effect, the tube was collapsed on itself.
Removing the tape from the sound tube gave a hissing pressure release.
I reconnected it to the CAI and will keep driving and see if the CEL resets. If not I'll pull the battery overnight.
The sound tube was collapsed? That makes no sense to me. You probably threw a CEL either because you disconnected the wrong thing, or because the intake was not sealed off properly.