Show us your rock chips!

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have used Chipex and Dr Colorchip.

I recommend Dr Colorchip based on the results. I have a video on my YT-channel applying Chipex on my Lighting Blue GT. In my opinion not so good results.

700 miles on my 2019 magnetic metallic and i already have a rock chip! My car is immaculate except for this chip...and to make things more sucky is the rock chip was found the day I was getting the entire car ceramic coated. I know CC isn't 100% insurance against chips...but perhaps i I had just gotten this done a little sooner I'd be chip free.

Here's a pic from the most flattering angle of my touch up job using OEM J7. Is Dr. Color Chip that much better? I don't care if you can tell up close...I just want to not notice this from a few feet away.
20190810_140430.jpg

My chip still looks darker from a distance and you can definitely tell it's there. I'm getting so much anxiety over this, it sucks. Brand new car... :(
Sponsored

omens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Blame the EPA. Paint is much thinner and prone to easily being chipped across most new cars. My Civic had 8 nice chips on the front bumper and hood within 5000 miles. Virtually none of which were highway. The same with my buddies Challenger, mostly highway driving, and the same with my wife's Subaru, a mix of the two.

Its definitely not an isolated problem with Ford, but it doesn't make it any less unfortunate that a strong gust of wind might chip the paint.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Looks like you hit a flying license plate or something Min lol. Good thing whatever that was didnt go through your windshield though.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
15k now and no chips at all. I will recommend xpel to anyone in the future. I had a massive rock hit my hood, (it did glaze the coating) but didn't penetrate or make it rough or anything, but it did make the spot shiny. the rock then hit my glass and shattered my whole windshield, but it didn't hurt the hood at all fortunately. (600 dollar windshield replacement sucked)

I have the protection infront of back tires, and behind it, the piece infront is MASSIVE. it is literally everything from the door, following the middle line of car all way to back wheel. and behind the wheel is a small section, that you can see in the photo better that goes under the tail amber light.
IMG_0326.JPG
IMG_0327.JPG
IMG_0328.JPG
IMG_0329.JPG

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I win this Thread
Yeah, that's tough. I got a nice one on my on the very knife edge of the hood crease on the passenger side. I suppose something large bounced off the hood. It left a slight dent and basically a round chip. Not huge but very noticeable with the dent. Far enough back that the typical film application would not have prevented it. I plan to just drive it and then get the hood and bumper sprayed at some point in the future (after retirement).

Min Ahn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Yeah, that's tough. I got a nice one on my on the very knife edge of the hood crease on the passenger side. I suppose something large bounced off the hood. It left a slight dent and basically a round chip. Not huge but very noticeable with the dent. Far enough back that the typical film application would not have prevented it. I plan to just drive it and then get the hood and bumper sprayed at some point in the future (after retirement).

Me too. I’ll see if this won’t be an issue when I’m returning the vehicle since it’s not larger than a business card.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
Ceramic Coated Spray/Wax. I can’t say 100% that’s its effective but it’s helped. I bought my used with some chips already and said screw it. But if new or no chips, I would without a doubt get a invisible clear film wrap on the front & hood. As someone said, chips just add to the character story of your mustang.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Sounds like none of you ever drove a Honda or any other car really? I have had cars from all makers and every forum for each car always has a thread saying the same things. The paint this... the manufacture that. The reality is no paint is gonna take a direct hit of you moving forward 60 to 80 MPH and a rock coming at you the opposite direction at speed as well so I would say unscientifically the impact is like a bullet :) . No paints gonna stand up to an impact that if it hit glass would crack a windshield. My Honda looked like it had been shot gunned. My VW same thing. Plus now with EPA and all the save the earth people the paint on cars is regulated to paper thin and the chemicals they use to make it sturdy they cant use anymore. Blame a hippy not FORD. HAHA ... But seriously. I have chips too :(

Oh also I have ceramic coated my last 4 cars and am friends with the detail shop that does it. Ceramic does exactly jack nothing against rocks or to stop chips people. its a coating to smooth the paint so sap, bird droppings. Water spots and other chemicals don't stick and/or are easier to clean. It does zero against physical damage and is not even intended for that. Not sure where so many people got that Ceramic protects against rock chips. Hell wash your car wrong and you can still swirl mark the heck out of ceramic coat too.

Sponsored

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
Sounds like none of you ever drove a Honda or any other car really? I have had cars from all makers and every forum for each car always has a thread saying the same things. The paint this... the manufacture that. The reality is no paint is gonna take a direct hit of you moving forward 60 to 80 MPH and a rock coming at you the opposite direction at speed as well so I would say unscientifically the impact is like a bullet :) . No paints gonna stand up to an impact that if it hit glass would crack a windshield. My Honda looked like it had been shot gunned. My VW same thing. Plus now with EPA and all the save the earth people the paint on cars is regulated to paper thin and the chemicals they use to make it sturdy they cant use anymore. Blame a hippy not FORD. HAHA ... But seriously. I have chips too :(

Oh also I have ceramic coated my last 4 cars and am friends with the detail shop that does it. Ceramic does exactly jack nothing against rocks or to stop chips people. its a coating to smooth the paint so sap, bird droppings. Water spots and other chemicals don't stick and/or are easier to clean. It does zero against physical damage and is not even intended for that. Not sure where so many people got that Ceramic protects against rock chips. Hell wash your car wrong and you can still swirl mark the heck out of ceramic coat too.
I can’t say for others but for me. I’ve had past generations of mustangs which (would get chips) but it wouldn’t always go down past the primer. I had chips that got under the clear, some paint but rarely went deeper. This generation your lucky if it stops at the paint or primer. I get it’s par of the course but no craftsmanship on the paint. I’ve had hot rods painted and have gotten painted where it’s premier paint which can get a little frosty so to speak driving without worrying.

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I can’t say for others but for me. I’ve had past generations of mustangs which (would get chips) but it wouldn’t always go down past the primer. I had chips that got under the clear, some paint but rarely went deeper. This generation your lucky if it stops at the paint or primer. I get it’s par of the course but no craftsmanship on the paint. I’ve had hot rods painted and have gotten painted where it’s premier paint which can get a little frosty so to speak driving without worrying.
^^^ Agree 1000%.

I understand the “EPA” this or that and that paint ingredients may have changed over the last 5-10 years, but the paint on the S550 is the worst I’ve ever seen and experienced when it comes to vehicle ownership and getting chips on the body. That now accounts for 2 S550’s I’ve owned... and many other vehicles by different Manufacturers.

Why should everyone have to spend thousands on Saran Wrap (sarcasm) when the factory paint should be able to withstand normal use? I’m talking normal highway or road use - not driving through construction zones, not driving through debris, not driving off onto the shoulders, etc... just normal use.

The paint/clear layer on the S550 is soft, almost like its not fully cured - let alone super thin... If you sneeze, the spritzle spray chips the damn paint....

Has anyone really looked at the edges of their wheel wells or felt the edges with your finger - if not you’ll shit yourself as to how many chips are in those areas...

It’s just ridiculous that the paint chips so easily on the S550. My now 25yr old 94 Cobra traveled the same roads and has less chips in total then those found all over my less than 2 year old 2018...

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
....There is no reason why the paint chips as easily as it does from normal highway driving. I’m not talking going through construction zones, driving through gravel, or hugging the shoulders where debris lies...
Look.....

My 2016 had 0 chips in it for the first year + (when I almost never drove on the freeway), then I drove to Texas and back averaging 75+ MPH, and got tons of chips including on the windshield. Yes, there is definitely reasons why the paint chips from highway driving; physics. Mass X velocity = energy. There's a massive difference in the energy contained in a rock/stone/debris hit at 80MPH, versus the same hit at 40MPH.

I know you're frustrated, but the physics of the situation exist, and can't be denied. If something hits your car at 80MPH, it hits with over 4 times the energy it does at 40MPH. And, on the freeway, stones and other debris are flung off of other driver's tires with massively more energy than they do at 40MPH, so there's probably an order of magnitude more energy than I'm calculating.

And none of the above is calculating where you drive, the conditions of the roads, and the amount of debris on them. Lots of construction/road work? More chips. Homes being built in your area? More chips. New gravel business open down the road? More chips. Hasn't rained in 2 months, or live in an arid area? More chips.

So, if you do a lot of freeway driving, you have to get PPF if you want to minimize chips in the paint.
Sponsored

Last edited: