Show us your rock chips!

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I don't think any paint or clear-coat combination or formulation is going to stop rock chips. If the clear coat is thick enough, maybe you're going to protect the paint but you will see the blemish in the clear at the impact site. If you're lucky you could wet sand and polish those impact marks out. Add that to your detailing routine every weekend. Uhg!
The thing about "Saran-Warp" (thank-you, this one made me chuckle :giggle:) is the commonly known fact it has the ability to self-heal to a degree as long as the film is not punctured.
Sponsored

rocky5517

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sam
Vehicle(s)
ford explorer 67 riviera
I read up on paint protection before I picked up my (19 GT) car from the dealer. I was lucky to have some extra money, so I had the entire front clip wrapped, then the rest of the car done with ceramic wax. I've had the car since last November and have washed it only about 8 times. Still not a mark on it. Granted I've only got 5500 miles on it, but Im really happy with the coatings. Was made aware of the cost of "paint correction so I put mudflaps on, in the dealer parking lot, and drove it to the detailer, 1/4 mile away, at 20 mph. Detailers told me it'snot unusual to see new cars come in on a flatbed to avoid the dreaded paint correction. $150 vs $3-500.
I've been fanatic about the car, like never before, and I consider it kind of a game, being careful not to take it to areas with bad roads, gravel, potholes etc. Again, I'm lucky because the car is not my DD. Don't know how I will handle the first damage. Professional counseling I guess.

DesertRat5115

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Velocity Blue Stock + 275/40R18-9.5 Square
Sounds like none of you ever drove a Honda or any other car really? I have had cars from all makers and every forum for each car always has a thread saying the same things. The paint this... the manufacture that. The reality is no paint is gonna take a direct hit of you moving forward 60 to 80 MPH and a rock coming at you the opposite direction at speed as well so I would say unscientifically the impact is like a bullet :) . No paints gonna stand up to an impact that if it hit glass would crack a windshield. My Honda looked like it had been shot gunned. My VW same thing. Plus now with EPA and all the save the earth people the paint on cars is regulated to paper thin and the chemicals they use to make it sturdy they cant use anymore. Blame a hippy not FORD. HAHA ... But seriously. I have chips too :(

Oh also I have ceramic coated my last 4 cars and am friends with the detail shop that does it. Ceramic does exactly jack nothing against rocks or to stop chips people. its a coating to smooth the paint so sap, bird droppings. Water spots and other chemicals don't stick and/or are easier to clean. It does zero against physical damage and is not even intended for that. Not sure where so many people got that Ceramic protects against rock chips. Hell wash your car wrong and you can still swirl mark the heck out of ceramic coat too.
Funny you ask. The car I traded in for my Mustang was a 2016 Civic EXT (same color even). And it's not even close. After over two years I had far less rock chips (and they were shallower) than my Mustang has with three months of driving the same routes every day. The paint job on my mustang is without a doubt far inferior to the one on my Civic. Thankfully, other than the paint job, the quirky 10 speed auto, more numb steering, and the inferior climate control system, the Mustang is a better car in every other way. But the crappy paint job is a black mark on the Mustang.

DesertRat5115

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Painted the four deepest and widest chips yesterday, doing the clear coat today..nose, roof, and hood. All of these cars should come new with Ford touch-up paint of the corresponding color in the glove box.

Sponsored

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
It's the damn water based paint they use on cars now. I had them on all my cars all different brands.
I put PPF on my first vette and I got chips on the unprotected area. I only protect the leading edge of my cars. The trucks, I don't even bother. If it's not rock chips some a-hole will door ding you..........No Matter Where You Park!

DesertRat5115

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
...some a-hole will door ding you..........No Matter Where You Park!
This made me laugh. I'm the guy that parks WAY out in the parking lot but it doesn't matter sometimes....a guy in an old beater can pull up and park ten inches away from me as soon as I'm out of sight, despite there being dozens of empty spaces much closer to the business. There must be some psychological attraction to parking next to a nice looking car that is kept very clean...the only thing I can think of.

Mattneedforgreen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
I uesed the dr color chip kit and it works just need more than one application to fill in the deep marks

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
Front bumper so many chips. rear upper quarters. a pretty good chip half way down the body line on the passenger side. mirrors. MANY CHIPS BOTH SIDES. leading edge of the roof. Good god man. How do you get chips up there. I had a Nissan pathfinder provided to me from work. (Did not give a crap about the car) NOT A SINGLE CHIP. Mustang has 36,000 miles on it. It's a 2015....Baby this thing and do not follow close, do not drive behind big trucks, do not drive behind dump trucks, try to take round about routes with less traffic. ROCK CHIPS.

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
This made me laugh. I'm the guy that parks WAY out in the parking lot but it doesn't matter sometimes....a guy in an old beater can pull up and park ten inches away from me as soon as I'm out of sight, despite there being dozens of empty spaces much closer to the business. There must be some psychological attraction to parking next to a nice looking car that is kept very clean...the only thing I can think of.
I can not stand this. l200 parking spots, 30 degrees outside. I park in the lot at the back. Someone parks next to me. I feel your pain brother.

Sponsored

hardball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angel
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have a 2016 that JUST turned 2k miles. So since I'm just a crazy Sunday driver, you know I'm not reckless with it. The front of the car and hood are COVERED with tiny white chips. And NO I don't tailgate, follow rock trucks etc. The paint on these cars must be paper thin. I have NEVER owned a car that chips like this. I will have it clear filmed next summer but there is no easy way to repair the mess. I love the car but Ford is cutting corners for sure paint wise. I remember when they used to brag about the paint process on the new Taurus'. This is inexcusable. I currently own 3 subarus from new- 98 Legacy, 09 Legacy, 12 Outback- combined over 400K miles and combined with LESS CHIPS than my '16 2K mile Mustang! WTH?? I don't think you need more pic evidence, but if you DO, just let me know.

hardball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angel
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Front bumper so many chips. rear upper quarters. a pretty good chip half way down the body line on the passenger side. mirrors. MANY CHIPS BOTH SIDES. leading edge of the roof. Good god man. How do you get chips up there. I had a Nissan pathfinder provided to me from work. (Did not give a crap about the car) NOT A SINGLE CHIP. Mustang has 36,000 miles on it. It's a 2015....Baby this thing and do not follow close, do not drive behind big trucks, do not drive behind dump trucks, try to take round about routes with less traffic. ROCK CHIPS.
It's NOT you or your driving. It's the car. Terribly thin paint. My 2K mile '16 is covered with tiny white chips in the entire front and hood. TERRIBLE and inexcusable.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
This has been a constant issue, it's one of the cost cutting measures by car manufacturers.. not all but most.. I still shake my head when I see a newer than 2000+ MY car with rust and paint peeling.. that should never happen with today's technology. I have gotten over the rock chip anxiety though.. didn't even PPF my shelby... the ppf looks worse than the rock chips at times when it takes a ding and doesn't self heal.. I figure if I keep the car long enough I would just have it repainted properly at a custom body shop for collectors cars. There was a guy on here with a ruby red gt that got tired of the paint and had it completely stripped, properly primed, painted and clear coated.. hasn't had issues since..
Sponsored