Sponsored

Rock chips

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
I hear Dr. Colorchip does a pretty good job. But once you touch those up, clearbra does a damn good job in some key areas to help prevent that sort of thing. I'd recommend looking into it once you cover up some of those chips. I have my whole front bumper and headlights covered, the front of my hood up to our hood vents covered, a strip on the roof just above the windshield, some going along the bottom edge of the car along the body line, and around the fenders. The guy even put some along the backing of the mirror for when sons of bitches rub against it going past, and a small strip wrapped around the length going up my door just in case I'm a dumbass and let the end of my doors swing open and bump something. I only wish I'd asked for some to go around a bit of the door handle for my GF's damned nails when she opens my passenger door LOL.

But, I know the clearbra has saved my ass a few times. Including the day I caught a goddamn wild cat at work just chilling on top of my hood and I almost skinned the little bastard alive. Shooed it off and it left a little cat scratch on the tip of my hood over the clearbra as it jumped off, but didn't penetrate it. My stepfather had done this for his '15 Challenger when he got it and when I drove my car off the lot and the family was checking it out he gave me the phone number for the guy that did his and advised me to stay the hell off the freeway until I hit this guy up lol. Best advice I've gotten yet. It's saved me a few times that I know of, and who knows how many that I don't. I've gotten about 2 errant rock chips or so that got me in spots I don't have clearbra over, but by and large this probably covers most of where they'd be likely to hit and I know just from looking at everyone's bumpers out here in this area where there's so many rocks and pebbles all over the road you'd think UT purposely sprinkles them on there, I'll have saved my whole front bumper and headlights from getting peppered and road rashed. The only thing clearbra won't apply to is the textured plastic molding of our chin spoiler and that molding shit that runs along the bottom edges of our driver/passenger sides.

dT1vOwI.png
+1. I have always done clear bra. Trick is to do full panels if possible to avoid uneven paint fade (ex: full hood and fenders). I love them. My coverage is similar to yours: Full bumpers, hood, fenders, sides of door upto body line and part of the rear wheel arch, rear black deck lid. Mirrors and roof have black vinyl. 2 years and lasting is solid - should last 5+ and maybe even 8. I've had one on a prior car for 10. If sections wear out much easier to selectively replace.

Touch and respray are corrective and imperfect, sometimes body shops make more scratches and swirls - also, I park my car in my driveway (see photo on thumbnail) and it faces bird poop (rare), wind, rain, sun so its a worthwhile investment for me!

Expensive but so worth it - I am semi- OCD about my car and its hard given I drive it to work, autocross, mountain roads etc. If a bird craps on it or bugs get sprayed from a roadtrip or sap falls on the roof and I dont catch it immediately, no massive issues (you cant let it sit though of course). Saved me from massive number of stone chips, also reduces detail costs. I only wash and wax her 4 times a year (thats all I do, no in between washers or details) and have never had to polish the paint in 2+ years of owning the car.

Helps greatly with resale, esp if your buyer is OCD and is willing to pay for like new condition. Folks who see my cars always think they are new or garage queens. :-)
Sponsored

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
I see that they have the front deluxe rockguards available for the GT350, i might get a set of those.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
+1. I have always done clear bra. Trick is to do full panels if possible to avoid uneven paint fade (ex: full hood and fenders). I love them. My coverage is similar to yours: Full bumpers, hood, fenders, sides of door upto body line and part of the rear wheel arch, rear black deck lid. Mirrors and roof have black vinyl. 2 years and lasting is solid - should last 5+ and maybe even 8. I've had one on a prior car for 10. If sections wear out much easier to selectively replace.

Touch and respray are corrective and imperfect, sometimes body shops make more scratches and swirls - also, I park my car in my driveway (see photo on thumbnail) and it faces bird poop (rare), wind, rain, sun!

Expensive but so worth it - I am semi- OCD about my car and its hard given I drive it to work, autocross, mountain roads etc. If a bird craps on it or bugs get sprayed from a roadtrip or sap falls on the roof and I dont catch it immediately, no massive issues (you cant let it sit though of course). Saved me from massive number of stone chips, also reduces detail costs. I only wash and wax her 4 times a year (thats all I do, no in between washers or details) and have never had to polish the paint in 2+ years of owning the car.

Helps greatly with resale, esp if your buyer is OCD and is willing to pay for like new condition. Folks who see my cars always think they are new or garage queens. :-)
In your case PPF was a no brainer, especially if car sits outside in the driveway.

OP
OP

Bcart50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
silverado
Looked at it again today... even worse then I thought. How the hell can the paint be this shitty? My color is magnetic so it stands out pretty well. Looks dirty at first then you quickly realize they are chips.

Makes me want to just go back to driving my 10 year old truck and not caring.

Sponsored

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
You guys are making me paranoid that the road debris on my quarters in front of the wheels are actually chips. I thought I just needed to clay it.

Muff Muff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT PP
Before:

jaue5v.jpg

After:

9hj4hu.jpg

This was by far the largest chip, and was probably 2 -- 3mm across. Overall, I'd say Dr. ColorChip is a good product, definitely better for smaller chips, but still covers large ones adequately for the amount of labor involved. Paint match was good, too. Overall, I'd much prefer to do this method than the old school sand, paint, clear method.

k4show

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP
Before:

jaue5v.jpg

After:

9hj4hu.jpg

This was by far the largest chip, and was probably 2 -- 3mm across. Overall, I'd say Dr. ColorChip is a good product, definitely better for smaller chips, but still covers large ones adequately for the amount of labor involved. Paint match was good, too. Overall, I'd much prefer to do this method than the old school sand, paint, clear method.

I'm having trouble seeing where the touch up was done? Whats the darker looking paint chip in the after picture? Its hard to tell if the camera framing is the same.

Muff Muff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT PP
I'm having trouble seeing where the touch up was done? Whats the darker looking paint chip in the after picture? Its hard to tell if the camera framing is the same.
That's the same chip, before and after touch up. I will probably go over it again to see if it improves further

Sponsored

jordystang69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
That's the same chip, before and after touch up. I will probably go over it again to see if it improves further
Look's like its grey/black chip based on the picture

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
I hear Dr. Colorchip does a pretty good job. But once you touch those up, clearbra does a damn good job in some key areas to help prevent that sort of thing. I'd recommend looking into it once you cover up some of those chips. I have my whole front bumper and headlights covered, the front of my hood up to our hood vents covered, a strip on the roof just above the windshield, some going along the bottom edge of the car along the body line, and around the fenders. The guy even put some along the backing of the mirror for when sons of bitches rub against it going past, and a small strip wrapped around the length going up my door just in case I'm a dumbass and let the end of my doors swing open and bump something. I only wish I'd asked for some to go around a bit of the door handle for my GF's damned nails when she opens my passenger door LOL.

But, I know the clearbra has saved my ass a few times. Including the day I caught a goddamn wild cat at work just chilling on top of my hood and I almost skinned the little bastard alive. Shooed it off and it left a little cat scratch on the tip of my hood over the clearbra as it jumped off, but didn't penetrate it. My stepfather had done this for his '15 Challenger when he got it and when I drove my car off the lot and the family was checking it out he gave me the phone number for the guy that did his and advised me to stay the hell off the freeway until I hit this guy up lol. Best advice I've gotten yet. It's saved me a few times that I know of, and who knows how many that I don't. I've gotten about 2 errant rock chips or so that got me in spots I don't have clearbra over, but by and large this probably covers most of where they'd be likely to hit and I know just from looking at everyone's bumpers out here in this area where there's so many rocks and pebbles all over the road you'd think UT purposely sprinkles them on there, I'll have saved my whole front bumper and headlights from getting peppered and road rashed. The only thing clearbra won't apply to is the textured plastic molding of our chin spoiler and that molding shit that runs along the bottom edges of our driver/passenger sides.

dT1vOwI.png
How much did the clear bra cost ya? I've been putting off getting it but I think I find more chips Everytime I wash the car. If not the hood then the hips...

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
You sure you got the right color touch-up paint? Lol.

On another note, is there some type of "fill-in" product for car paint? Where you can fill it in so that it's a bit more smooth and then apply dr colorchip? I'm extremely curious about this. I have touch-up applied in some spots, but it's noticeable from certain angles just because it's not even with the rest of the paint.

AppoTheApple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT DIB
You sure you got the right color touch-up paint? Lol.

On another note, is there some type of "fill-in" product for car paint? Where you can fill it in so that it's a bit more smooth and then apply dr colorchip? I'm extremely curious about this. I have touch-up applied in some spots, but it's noticeable from certain angles just because it's not even with the rest of the paint.
At least with the touch up paint I got from my Ford Dealer, the best solution I found was to use a very small amount of rubbing alcohol over the clearcoat to smoothen it out. I hated how uneven it was until I used the rubbing alcohol.

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
At least with the touch up paint I got from my Ford Dealer, the best solution I found was to use a very small amount of rubbing alcohol over the clearcoat to smoothen it out. I hated how uneven it was until I used the rubbing alcohol.
Hmm, very interesting. I might have to try that tomorrow. Drove 2 and a half hours from Louisiana to Mississippi and caught a chip on the panel by the windshield.
Sponsored