Rock chips

AppoTheApple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT DIB
Hmm, very interesting. I might have to try that tomorrow. Drove 2 and a half hours from Louisiana to Mississippi and caught a chip on the panel by the windshield.
I used a Q-Tip and swiped over the top. Make sure you don't press into the paint, though. I just glided over the spot.

P.S. love your pics that you post on Reddit. You take amazing photos. :)
Sponsored

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I used a Q-Tip and swiped over the top. Make sure you don't press into the paint, though. I just glided over the spot.

P.S. love your pics that you post on Reddit. You take amazing photos. :)
Gotcha. Thanks for the advice man! And much appreciated too haha! I haven't shot in about a week now and it's killing me. Definitely got to get out again soon.

Muff Muff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT PP
Look's like its grey/black chip based on the picture
The picture is from probably 3 inches away. From farther away, it's not noticeable at all. It definitely looks better in person.

Remember, the only way to truly fix a chip is to repaint the entire panel. For the effort involved in this and the results it gave, I'd say it's good enough. No where near perfect, but anyone can do it.

ForTheHordeKT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Performance Package
How much did the clear bra cost ya? I've been putting off getting it but I think I find more chips Everytime I wash the car. If not the hood then the hips...
The guy charged me a few hundred bucks I believe to do it at a small shop down here. Said he had people going over their whole entire cars with the stuff and he likes the work and money, but that can get kinda pricey and overkill haha. Just the key likely areas for me. Only bummer is there are spots I may end up re-doing not because there's anything wrong with it but I've been considering adding racing stripes to the car. Matte black over my black paint would be kinda cool. But, it'd mean peeling that shit off and then reapplying again. Since I'm already spending quite a bit ditching the Pirellis later this week because my rears are damn near bald now, and I'm just pulling all 4 tires off and putting Michelin PSS's on there I don't really think I'm in a hurry to go spending more money just yet lol.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
You sure you got the right color touch-up paint? Lol.

On another note, is there some type of "fill-in" product for car paint? Where you can fill it in so that it's a bit more smooth and then apply dr colorchip? I'm extremely curious about this. I have touch-up applied in some spots, but it's noticeable from certain angles just because it's not even with the rest of the paint.
If you get a full in touch up kit including the clear coat there is a YouTube video online showing how to do this. It does seem quite tedious though.

Sponsored

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
The guy charged me a few hundred bucks I believe to do it at a small shop down here. Said he had people going over their whole entire cars with the stuff and he likes the work and money, but that can get kinda pricey and overkill haha. Just the key likely areas for me. Only bummer is there are spots I may end up re-doing not because there's anything wrong with it but I've been considering adding racing stripes to the car. Matte black over my black paint would be kinda cool. But, it'd mean peeling that shit off and then reapplying again. Since I'm already spending quite a bit ditching the Pirellis later this week because my rears are damn near bald now, and I'm just pulling all 4 tires off and putting Michelin PSS's on there I don't really think I'm in a hurry to go spending more money just yet lol.
Ugh I think I've got less than 5k left on my rears and I've only got the Pzer-neros. Been debating on just slapping some cheaper rubber on there until I'm ready to upgrade all 4 wheels, or just get 4 new rims now even though 2 are fine.

packerfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 mustang gt grabber blue
My family has owned dozens of cars over my lifetime and I can honestly say, my S550 has the worst paint job of any car I've ever owned. Sad really.
If you think fords paint is bad, you should see honda paint. Really bad.

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
If you think fords paint is bad, you should see honda paint. Really bad.
+1. Honda paint and Kia/Hyundai paint ARE SHIT. Super soft and thin.
VW's paint (Lapiz Blue) in the Golf R is shit.

Mercedes and BMW have good paint, with Merc being the best.
I have not had many issues with my Ford Paint. I am not sure if its because I have Triple Yellow (it may have more coats, its also more expensive). Hard to tell as my car is all clear bra'd and vinyl wrapped!

jordystang69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
The picture is from probably 3 inches away. From farther away, it's not noticeable at all. It definitely looks better in person.

Remember, the only way to truly fix a chip is to repaint the entire panel. For the effort involved in this and the results it gave, I'd say it's good enough. No where near perfect, but anyone can do it.
I just did a rather large deep chip on my lightning blue and the end result was similar as a dark black color. Pretty good from far away, but I was impatient with letting it fully dry and since it was so large I kept taking off a large majority of the paint and had to keep redoing it.

Went out for a drive and have a new small chip right under my door handle now... I hate this soft paint.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
... I am not sure if its because I have Triple Yellow (it may have more coats, its also more expensive). Hard to tell as my car is all clear bra'd and vinyl wrapped!
Same here. Yellow, and clear film. The yellow paint has been holding up very well (the sides without the film).

As for Dr. Color Chip, I found three things to help with filling it in.

First, I just put a blob of paint in the chip that is about the amount required to fill it. (The smear technique doesn't work for me.)
Next I wait at least 5 minutes for it to thicken.
Last, I use something like a hockey puck inside the MF rag when I do the sealant process. And I don't use much pressure. Instead I use time for the sealant to work.

These 3 tips prevent the rag from pulling all the paint out. The hockey puck keeps the rag flat, and so it levels the chip even with the rest of the paint. A deeper chip can still take 4 or 5 coats to make the chip completely disappear.

Sponsored

Muff Muff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT PP
I just did a rather large deep chip on my lightning blue and the end result was similar as a dark black color. Pretty good from far away, but I was impatient with letting it fully dry and since it was so large I kept taking off a large majority of the paint and had to keep redoing it.

Went out for a drive and have a new small chip right under my door handle now... I hate this soft paint.
Same thing happened to me when I tried to use one of the brushes; I ended up digging out the paint from the chip as it hadn't fully dried yet. Now that it's been a few days, I'll probably go over again this coming weekend with a few more coats to see if it improves it any.

JaxS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 GT PP
I have a similar setup and ended up putting the ZL1 mud flaps on all 4 corners. They are super low profile and once they are on you don't even really notice them. Due to some construction around my area (never ending in Florida) I still get dust all over my car, but nothing plastered up the sides that would damage the paint. The few times I have been stuck going over really crappy roads at low speed you can actually hear all the crap hitting the plastic mud flaps and not the paint LOL. Kind of annoying and satisfying all at the same time...

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
I have a similar setup and ended up putting the ZL1 mud flaps on all 4 corners. They are super low profile and once they are on you don't even really notice them. Due to some construction around my area (never ending in Florida) I still get dust all over my car, but nothing plastered up the sides that would damage the paint. The few times I have been stuck going over really crappy roads at low speed you can actually hear all the crap hitting the plastic mud flaps and not the paint LOL. Kind of annoying and satisfying all at the same time...
Thanks. Ill get these. Do you have a link to the product? I keep seeing the one by RPI designs.

Is it bolt on?

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Thanks. Ill get these. Do you have a link to the product? I keep seeing the one by RPI designs.

Is it bolt on?
See my post #17. I wrote the instructions for these, that ZL1 sends out with the kits. Link to kit should be in there, too.
Sponsored