Sponsored

SCCA CAM-C Thread

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Anyone going to St Louis ? I've signed up even though I haven't touched the car for a while and it likely will be my first event of the season, so I am sure it'll go great...
Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Which tire would you recommend that would last the longest dailying and racing? Looking for a decent price/performance, saw Firestone 500s for a massive discount in 285/30/19s near me. And by massive I mean $250 a tire.

The more suggestions the better, having not tried different tires ever yet. Tires are a new subject to me, but I don't want to blow the bank.
I run these on the street on PP wheels. You can put 285's on an 11, but they might be a bitch to get to bead. They're fine tires for what they are. I've got something like 30k on mine.

They're fine in the rain. Nothing silly has ever happened and I've driven in plenty of it.

Ride is better than the stock Pirelli's mine came with.

They deal a lot better with low temperatures than the Pirelli's. They don't turn into a Crayola crayon at 40 deg F.

Tire grip is fine for a performance tire, but it's not a competition tire by any stretch of the imagination. It's a mid-range street tire. When you hustle them, the sidewall is too soft and the grip level is only average. Breakaway is predicable and the tire gives you a lot of warning through the seat and with noise. If you want to take them to the track, you'll be well off pace of a track tire. If it's an HPDE day, you decide if that's an issue. If it's on the street, I can't see how it could possibly matter. You've got to be really asking a lot of the car on the street before these things start to be you limiting factor.

One bad thing is that they're too damned loud. At 25mph, they have an annoying drone. It's better at highway speeds, but it's still there.

It's all a compromise, at $250 a pop, that makes them pretty attractive.

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I run these on the street on PP wheels. You can put 285's on an 11, but they might be a bitch to get to bead. They're fine tires for what they are. I've got something like 30k on mine.

They're fine in the rain. Nothing silly has ever happened and I've driven in plenty of it.

Ride is better than the stock Pirelli's mine came with.

They deal a lot better with low temperatures than the Pirelli's. They don't turn into a Crayola crayon at 40 deg F.

Tire grip is fine for a performance tire, but it's not a competition tire by any stretch of the imagination. It's a mid-range street tire. When you hustle them, the sidewall is too soft and the grip level is only average. Breakaway is predicable and the tire gives you a lot of warning through the seat and with noise. If you want to take them to the track, you'll be well off pace of a track tire. If it's an HPDE day, you decide if that's an issue. If it's on the street, I can't see how it could possibly matter. You've got to be really asking a lot of the car on the street before these things start to be you limiting factor.

One bad thing is that they're too damned loud. At 25mph, they have an annoying drone. It's better at highway speeds, but it's still there.

It's all a compromise, at $250 a pop, that makes them pretty attractive.
Thanks for taking the time to write such an awesome explanation for me! 100% taking everyone’s advice and going to keep my 17s with the Michelin All Seasons for daily use, and swap on the 19s with a fat boy tire for other. Found a storage space in my office next to the pc so during winter online work I can stare at my pretty 19s…

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for taking the time to write such an awesome explanation for me! 100% taking everyone’s advice and going to keep my 17s with the Michelin All Seasons for daily use, and swap on the 19s with a fat boy tire for other. Found a storage space in my office next to the pc so during winter online work I can stare at my pretty 19s…
Good call. In that case you're options are the new 305 Bridgestone, and the 295 Yokohama for the 19" track toy tires. Both are kinda great. Storing them indoors and bagging them when possible will really help them stay sticky.

Down the road you can get a fancier street wheel/tire setup, but staying with street all-seasons (or summers) is a better option if you're using the car on a regular basis.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I made the 200 tw recommendations I did because I assumed you would be dailying on the 17's or something. I personally daily on a set of PS4S, but depending on climate a set of Pilot All Seasons would be a great option too.

Sponsored

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Good call. In that case you're options are the new 305 Bridgestone, and the 295 Yokohama for the 19" track toy tires. Both are kinda great. Storing them indoors and bagging them when possible will really help them stay sticky.

Down the road you can get a fancier street wheel/tire setup, but staying with street all-seasons (or summers) is a better option if you're using the car on a regular basis.
summit racing impressed me. $80 cheaper than anyone else. Received within 24 hours.

The build begins:

IMG_1481.jpeg

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
summit racing impressed me. $80 cheaper than anyone else. Received within 24 hours.

The build begins:

IMG_1481.jpeg
Right, except I’m pretty sure you needed the 1” longer than stock, not the 1/2 longer ones.

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Right, except I’m pretty sure you needed the 1” longer than stock, not the 1/2 longer ones.
Welp. I thought 100-7732 was the number most said in forum. Its a 3” long. 🫣

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Welp. I thought 100-7732 was the number most said in forum. Its a 3” long. 🫣
100-7733 is the 1” longer stud for use with 25mm spacers. You needed the 3.4X” long ones.

Last edited:

Sponsored

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Pain.

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-100-7733

So i don't make the same mistake. 2 sets of these correct.
Just my two cents, OP Mustang is my go-to for stuff like this. Their customer service is one of the best, and they've built a lot of mustangs, and have tons of experience. But they do cost more usually. IMO, worth it. Because I make mistakes no one would think to make 😂

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Just my two cents, OP Mustang is my go-to for stuff like this. Their customer service is one of the best, and they've built a lot of mustangs, and have tons of experience. But they do cost more usually. IMO, worth it. Because I make mistakes no one would think to make 😂
Understood. I just ordered these ones since the part # matched what Nightmare said.

Should I keep the 1/2"ers? They are $13 to return and I am so miffed at myself.

I feel very old in this moment.

I think I will keep and put on the rears later on for increased stud strength/if I need/want spacers in rear later on.

Last edited:

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Understood. I just ordered these ones since the part # matched what Nightmare said.

Should I keep the 1/2"ers? They are $13 to return and I am so miffed at myself.

I feel very old in this moment.

I think I will keep and put on the rears later on for increased stud strength/if I need/want spacers in rear later on.
I'd keep them personally, assuming they were under $100. Worst case, you can always sell them yourself.

I still run stock studs on the rear with open end lug nuts. No real reason to swap them unless you need to. (Someone will come along and tell me why I'm wrong, it isn't the first time)
Sponsored